Buying Programs - wtf?????????

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

dirtygirl
level0

Postby dirtygirl » Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:22 pm

I have tried the game, and I think it is very good. However, one thing really stands out to me to be completly off the mark....
I understand the need to upgrade your server, but it seems totally unrealistic to be actually buying programs? In reality, what hackers actually buy their hacking toolz? Wouldn't it be far better to have the software hidden through out the servers you hack, so when you do crack a system - not only do you have the primary goal (what ever you are been paid for), but you also have to look around to find any software to rip????????
VeSpA
level2
level2

Postby VeSpA » Sat Oct 13, 2001 10:59 pm

think of it like playing shadowrun (which is IMO the best description for Uplink)
buy a software, alter it the way you want, and there you go
which company sells programs like "password_cracker_wh00pass_v1.666beta" anyways ;)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning.
TacKat
level1
level1

Postby TacKat » Sat Oct 13, 2001 11:35 pm

In reality, what hacker steals his "toolz" off of a machine he hacked?

Realistically, most hackers write their stuff themselves. So unless you *want* to be grinding away at assembly for hours just to play a game, you'll have to settle for the reduced realism.
ForrestFox
level1
level1

Postby ForrestFox » Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:51 am

Quote: from VeSpA on 10:59 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]think of it like playing shadowrun (which is IMO the best description for Uplink)

Well, a better description for Uplink would be to compare it to Neuromancer (either the book or the game, I'd prefer the game since its totaly awesome, but since it was last seen on an Amiga 500 not many will know what the feck Im talking about)

And as far as to be able to hack into a server and there find a new program to use... Well.. Uplink 1 may be too small to contain these sort of bonuses (Well, you get all you need from the agency so there is no need to "find" programs), but for Uplink 2 I would really like to see this option. Imagine the only program to break through a firewall you could get was to buy it from the company, and then for some instanse you accidently find a similar program in a random server that will break the firewall much smoother and not leave as much trails as the original program... well.. that would be cool.
(Heck, in Uplink 2 I want the option to hack into "teenager X's" home and steal the superduper program he has been working on to better the Tracer program) OMG.. now Im starting to rant again... sorry bout that
OI! WHERE DA FECK IS MY OL' 23K PHONE MODEM? U little brats of today dont know it, but dis modems still rules da world!
Skroll
level0

Postby Skroll » Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:54 am

Who writes TCP/IP code in assembly?  If there is such a person, I'd like to meet him.
http://www.disemboweled.net
Where the Internet is Gutted and Eaten
VeSpA
level2
level2

Postby VeSpA » Sun Oct 14, 2001 5:07 am

Well, a better description for Uplink would be to compare it to Neuromancer (either the book or the game, I'd prefer the game since its totaly awesome, but since it was last seen on an Amiga 500 not many will know what the feck Im talking about)

never read neuromancer, but I'll get my old Amiga500+ out of the basement back into my room and set it up, I think I still have that game somewhere.. :)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots.
So far, the universe is winning.
Blaine
level1
level1

Postby Blaine » Sun Oct 14, 2001 5:40 am

I actually think it works.

In my mind these are all Uplink Brand Tools...the highest quality tools imaginable.

Since as a player you can't physically install software on your computer (you have to be right at the gateway I guess :)) you have to buy it. Remember you're not buying the software and they're mailing you a CD. You're paying them and then they install it on your gateway.

I think you should be hack in and place an order for whatever you want, but you better have some sand to hack Big U.
Yoten
level0

Postby Yoten » Sun Oct 14, 2001 6:39 am

Quote: from ForrestFox on 2:51 am on Oct. 14, 2001[br]
*snip* ...but for Uplink 2 I would really like to see this option.

There's an Uplink 2 in the works? Where can I find some information on it?
TacKat
level1
level1

Postby TacKat » Sun Oct 14, 2001 2:00 pm

I was speaking more about viruses and the like when I said assembly. Either way a game that forced you to write full-fledged programs would be silly.
sibn
level1
level1

Postby sibn » Sun Oct 14, 2001 5:13 pm

Quote: from Yoten on 11:39 pm on Oct. 13, 2001[br]
There's an Uplink 2 in the works? Where can I find some information on it?

cat /dev/null

This will instantly show you how far along Uplink2 is coming.  And, since you probably don't use *nix, 'cat /dev/null' is a command that does...  Absolutely nothing.  /dev/null is a device with nothing in it.  Everything you put in it gets deleted permanently.
Ever wake up with the feeling that they're out to get you?  Well, it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you:
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=paranoia

Return to “General”