General Comments

Anything and Everything about Uplink

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, Chris, Icepick, Rkiver

Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:11 pm

If you have any comments about Uplink regarding playability, ideas, suggestions etc then please post them here.

I'd be very interested to hear what people think of this game.
ichi ni roku
level0

Postby ichi ni roku » Mon Jun 11, 2001 12:28 am

I was very impressed. It's technically all there. Uplink was more like what I expected from Hardwar... except Hardwar had a pants UI system.
ichi'ni"roku* ^.^'
NosForIt
level1
level1

Postby NosForIt » Tue Jul 10, 2001 8:30 pm

I'm putting everything I have to say into one post. I apologize if you find it confusing.

As far as I'm concerned the game is a bit too easy, to explain what I mean I'll describe what I do when I play.
First off I create a bunch of accounts on which I take full loans until I have got enough credits to get into a bank.
After gaining access to no more than one account I can transfer any amount of credits (10M last time) to one of my accounts, then erase the logs of the transaction. Second I buy literary everything I can, as money is no object anymore. Now I just erase any logs I might have left behind.
When I'm running at 400Ghz I can take down a mainframe in a single connection if I route my connections far enough and as far as I'm concerned the only security that can stop me is a voice-print of a person that I cant get the phone number to.
I have gotten myself arrested twice (Nothing happened. My real name was apparently "PLAYER".) by editing my records in the global criminal database (I had first edited my info in the Social Security database.) and cleared my reputation three times. - Out of boredom. =) My criminal status right now is "Hacking the world" in lack of something witty. Although I must admit: Setting up innocent people for crimes they did not commit is quite fun... Every once in a while I take down a fellow agent too.
I assume that there will be a lot more difficult tasks in the full game, but as long as I can buy the Trinity direct out of beginner rating I don't see many obstacles in the "automatic" tasks. Even If a mission required me to buy the Omega first and then the Am-core I don't see how that could stop me.
Before you think that I think the game is bad I must tell you that I absolutely love it. It will it be shipped to other countries than the UK & US, right?

28 seconds after connection to the international stock market until I had disabled all protection and logged in as admin. One minute later I was the proud owner of 200 governmental stock shares. - Despite the fact that demo agents can't trade shares...
The same thing happened after I got admin for the Uplink internal machine. - Everything I did was as if I had logged in with my usual account...
That reminds me: If I have got two legit Uplink accounts - will they both show up on the rankings when I get that far? It would be cool if they did. Two players could compete with each other on the same computer or over a LAN. Is that how the multiplayer mode will work?
Furthermore, fileservers won't even give me a shot at breaking the PW. The tools just shut down when I try to.
And I'm not able to delete my own bank accounts, nothing happens when I change my personal status to "deceased" or my social security number to "666", the last beta (96) gave me the Neuromancer (Why did you choose to call it that? I've read the book.) rating of "Notorious" when I abandoned paying a fine.
How come my handle shows up in the official records? Could it not be so that the player must edit the records him/her self in order to avoid getting caught?
I also edited a log of a hi-security server to say: "You've had a visitor", but nothing showed up in the news. Doesn't the AI have a sense of humor? =)

The in-game text editor is quite bulky. What I'd _really_ like to see is a marker that can be moved in the text so that I don't have to erase text to re-write something in front of it. Copy/pasting would also be nice.

What would happen if where to edit the logs of a routed connection so that two nodes would point at each other when it's traced? Would the trace-thingie go into a never-ending loop?

I've done a lot of things with the demo that I guess it wasn't meant to do, but these are the only ones that come to mind right now.

-NosForIt
You cannot use HTML
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Thu Jul 12, 2001 10:40 am

ok, thanks for that.  You've obviously done quite a bit of testing, and most of what you have found is caused by bugs in the beta release.  Unfortunate, but this is a beta after all.

I already know about the multiple bank account loan bug - kind of makes the game a little easy doesn't it.

You shouldn't be messing with higher computers yet - obviously if the above bank loan bug didn't exist, you wouldn't be able to buy the hardware necessary to do the hacks.

I'm not clear on something...did you manage to buy the top gateway?  Because this isn't supposed to be available in the demo.  Let me know how you did it if so.

Share dealing is supposed to be disabled in the demo as well, because it doesn't work yet.  As you found out.  Ooops.

You shouldn't be able to abandon a "Pay fine" mission.  This is a bug which i've already fixed for the next release.

I'm afraid we are many years away from AI with a sense of humour.

Point taken about the cut/copy/paste/cursor thing.

Regarding the full game, there are a lot more missions than this beta demo. The beta demo includes a filecopy and filedelete missions (basically variants on the same thing) and a social security modification.  These are the bottom three available missions, and as such they are the easiest.  

I've been testing the late missions which occur towards the end of the plot arc, and believe me you won't be telling me they are too easy.  The top-end game missions are very tricky as well - once you start messing with government or the Pentagon it gets very hard.

Why is the demo so easy?  I'd say it is very easy for people  who know what they are doing (like yourself) but for most people I think it's about right.  We don't want to put people off by making it too hard.

Thanks for the comments
NosForIt
level1
level1

Postby NosForIt » Thu Jul 12, 2001 5:13 pm

I always welcome a challenge. That’s why I play games. =)

Wasn’t able to buy the top gateway, but in the full game; I would have.

Looking forward for the full game, glad I could help.

-NosForIt
You cannot use HTML
tkmaster
level0

Postby tkmaster » Thu Jul 12, 2001 7:29 pm

honestly i wish you guys get rid of the time limit on the demo... time limits suck
what would be better is allow the person to do the missions that is allowed in the demo

i can't hardly wait for the final version to come out... though
but that demo time limit is crap and should be removed..
at least that way i can have unlimited fun with the missions that can be done in the demo
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Wed Jun 12, 2002 10:43 pm

the first topic... for ever immortalised....everyone praise it...
We dont stop playing cos we get old... We get old cos we stop playing.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:34 pm

Wow, you do realise you posted on this exactly 1 year after the last post made on it. freaky.
DJ_Velocity
level4
level4

Postby DJ_Velocity » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:54 pm

There is NO time limit on the demo, just a restriction block.I suppose if you had a full version of the game, you could edit out that part and put in the full (just for kix)but really all the demo does is kick you off once you become a better hacker.I think it's once you hit the 3rd level.So wat you could do, is accept a bunch of missions and abbandon them all to go DOWN in ranks so that you could keep playing your favorite easy missions forever

- Player20030
Death only comes to bad people so... when you see em, knee em in the balls and run like hell
Deepsmeg
level5
level5

Postby Deepsmeg » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:38 pm

Quote: from Icepick on 2:34 pm on June 13, 2002[br]Wow, you do realise you posted on this exactly 1 year after the last post made on it. freaky.

No... it's an 11 month gap.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Jun 13, 2002 4:45 pm

Arrg, how could you deface this sacred thread!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyway, why doesnt it appear on the forum, even if we bump it????? (If it does then forget it ;))
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Phydaux
level5
level5

Postby Phydaux » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:23 pm

Wow, we could have an entire conversation, and no one would know, because it doesn't get bumped.

Hmm... *trys to think of a cunning plan*
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Thu Jun 13, 2002 5:24 pm

Errm, I think someone might notice our latest attempt at this idea... ahem (10000 threads eh??...)
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
Luigi300
level5
level5

Postby Luigi300 » Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:59 am

kick
Luigi for mod in 2006!
Hektik sniper
level5
level5

Postby Hektik sniper » Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:55 pm

im on the first topic yay!!!!!
British Army The Number 1 UK Soldat Clan