General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Seb06
level1
level1

Wow...finally a GREAT game

Postby Seb06 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:56 am

:D Hi guys !

Didn't buy the game yet, but definitely planning to ! I keep enjoying the demo, but can't wait to try the full version (wich I will buy at the end of the month - you can guess why :lol: )

At first when I played it, it was so-so, especially against AI, but then I tried online...and what a blast ! :P it's really a mean game (wich are a must-have) where you can launch nukes (wich is very rare).

Congrats to the guys who worked on it, that's what a call a GREAT game, so far it's already made it to my top 5 games of the year !
Little Boy
level1
level1

Postby Little Boy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:26 pm

I fully agree. I haven't played any games on my PC since I got the thing (I only use my machine for making music), nor have I really wanted to - but seeing the 'WarGames' style screenshots of Defcon whetted my appetite and now I'm hooked! Haven't even started playing online though - as a complete and total n00b I suspect I'll be a bit slow for everyone else and will make them impatient.
Pyrostasis
level2
level2

Postby Pyrostasis » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:05 pm

never seen war games going to have to rent it now
Little Boy
level1
level1

Postby Little Boy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:23 pm

I was wondering if Defcon had a tie-breaker mode which involved playing ultra-fast games of noughts and crosses ;)
Pyrostasis
level2
level2

Postby Pyrostasis » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:30 pm

noughts and crosses?
GFree
level1
level1

Postby GFree » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:46 pm

Pyrostasis wrote:noughts and crosses?

Dude, you said you haven't seen the movie. If you did, you wouldn't need to ask. Watch it already! It's important! You need to learn the in-jokes! :D

In any case, noughts and crosses get boring. There's no way to win, which is why I much prefer chess.
dawnchorus
level2
level2

Postby dawnchorus » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:57 pm

After years playing online RTS games where you can build an endless supply of units just by collecting resources, Defcon makes a refreshing and thought-provoking change.

In fact, the tactics used by some people was driving me away from online gaming, as there just wasn't enough strategy. Unit placement doesn't matter when you can replace it straight away with a new one when it dies - you just have a queue of suicidal soldiers/tanks/whatever who'll use up their hitpoints and hopefully use up some of the enemy's. All my RTS games of late had ended up being a case of who has the best resource gathering or the most upgradeable units.

Then along comes Defcon, a game that on the surface looks painstaking and slow, but one which in fact is just as frantic as anything else out there. And because every unit, every building, every city, is irreplaceable, you actually have to think about how to look after them. That's why this game has captivated me. I might even win a game one day ...
Seb06
level1
level1

Postby Seb06 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:55 pm

dawnchorus wrote:After years playing online RTS games where you can build an endless supply of units just by collecting resources, Defcon makes a refreshing and thought-provoking change.

So true, I was a big fan of War3 and stuff, but I stopped playing them due to what you described in your other paragraph.

Then along comes Defcon, a game that on the surface looks painstaking and slow, but one which in fact is just as frantic as anything else out there. And because every unit, every building, every city, is irreplaceable, you actually have to think about how to look after them. That's why this game has captivated me. I might even win a game one day ...

You pinpointed what makes it so enjoyable :-) you have to take care of your units ! And another thing that I absolutely love is that playing a 40 mins game is like playing 5 mins...you don't see the time passing by.

One last thing is that watching a game is as entertaining as playing one.

PS :
Got my 8th victory this afternoon!
JaguarUSF
level1
level1

Postby JaguarUSF » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:47 pm

Pyrostasis wrote:noughts and crosses?

Also known as Tic Tac Toe.
Cooper
level1
level1

Postby Cooper » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:55 pm

dawnchorus wrote:After years playing online RTS games where you can build an endless supply of units just by collecting resources, Defcon makes a refreshing and thought-provoking change.

You should try and find a copy of M.A.X if you can. I think it was made by Interplay. It was intensely strategic. I think it had real-time and turn-based modes depending on your preference, but the level of strategy required to deploy your units effectively was brain-bendingly complex. Some missions involved construction, but even then you had to do a lot of forward planning to make the best use of the meager resources and proudce units that you could deploy effectively. Not sure if it had an online mode, unfortunately.
Seb06
level1
level1

Postby Seb06 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:12 pm

Cooper wrote:You should try and find a copy of M.A.X if you can.

Hell of a game, I think I still have it in one of my box, in the basement.
dawnchorus
level2
level2

Postby dawnchorus » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:41 pm

It sounds great. I guess Rome: Total War has many of the characteristics I like. Although you do get to increase your forces on the strategy map, once you're on the battlefield you're stuck with what you've got. And if retreating isn;t an option ... it's to the death!

I'll have a look out for MAX. Thanks for the tip.
Red Dawn
level1
level1

Postby Red Dawn » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:20 pm

Anyone remember Third World War on Sega CD? Only RTS type game I've ever played that was this good. I've done waaaay more than my fair share of WC3 and the C&C series, and this is top notch.
Connatic
level1
level1

Postby Connatic » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:05 pm

Have you all forgotten Myth?! One of the best tactical RTSs out there. Was made by Bungie before they were bought out by Microsoft. You pick out the units you want in your army ahead of time each costing a certain amount of points. Then you just battle it out with an evenly match army, no resource collection or getting more units, just pure tactics. Defcon has joined the ranks of great games like Myth.
hellcatv
level2
level2

Postby hellcatv » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:16 pm

this game gives a whole new meaning to the calm "Casualties" clip that would play when you lost many units at once. (in that game it was from a dwarf...it also would say casualty every time you lost 1 unit--which is less applicable)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Return to “General”