Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:40 pm

lol, okay that's pretty stupid, but you gotta admit even if it has a much smaller effect than she originally thought, isn't that better than nothing? Except that last part, everything she said made sense.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Like the part where she told someone that under her law they can call the police if someone breaks into their home, but they'll probably be dead anyway?

I actually think that not doing anything would be a better choice than this law. Some laws are only partially effective, sure, and if that good is better than their harm than great. But I think this one does more harm than good, especially when anyone willing to break the law can order freely on the internet or produce a normal* or high capacity magazine through a 3d printer.

*Normal capacity is generally around 15 for pistols, which this prohibits.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:31 pm

Fair point, I'll shut up now :oops:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:46 pm

That's no fun. :)

Also, this whole cold April thing is starting to bug me.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:46 pm

I googled 'cold april' and came upon some... strange results... what exactly are you referring to?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 am

It's been unusually cold here on the Eastern US sea board. Snow storms almost until April, freezing temperatures, etc. Man is not meant to live like this.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:40 pm

I went to South America for three months to avoid the cold, why is it still below freezing in April? ;-;
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:14 am

Oh man how did I miss this...

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:20 am

If I ever think about taking another applied mathematics or numerical analysis class again, someone please shoot me. Two days of computation, only to finally get the output, and realize that one of the inputs (the constant of diffusion, if anyone is interested) was off by a factor of 10. What I have learned:
  1. Check the inputs. Then check them again. And check them once more, just to be sure.
  2. Explicit methods suck. A lot. Even as exercises.
  3. Check the inputs again.
  4. Deterministic chaos is a pain in the ass.
  5. The inputs? Make sure they are correct.
  6. Please, oh please, give me something to prove.
  7. Check one last time, just to make sure that you are inputing the correct values.

So much for my weekend...

xander
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 pm

You think that's bad, then try molecular biology lab work. You can easily lose over a week work even if you did everything right.

Life cares not for your silly "expected" behaviour.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:24 am

So has anyone bought one of those nespresso coffee pod thingies? If so, I have some questions:

I just don't understand the idea behind it. It's like they've taken Apple's 'de-standardise-our-connectors-so-we-can-sell-more-of-them' philosophy and applied it to coffee machines. I think it's called 'vendor 'lock-in'.
Why would anyone voluntarily want to do that to themselves? Why set yourself up for a lifetime of Nestle enforced coffee price racketeering? Why are these pod machine so popular? Is it purely marketing?

ps: Does the coffee from these pods actually taste better than the coffee from a normal, good coffee machine?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:36 pm

I call it idiot tax.

If people want to pay more for a minor decrease in inconvenience, then that's fine. Otherwise, make your own damn coffee. ;)
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:25 pm

Once I entered Starbucks, I asked for a coffee, but my desire was too incomplete. So the staff had to guide my longing. I was so stupid, not knowing my own wishes. I felt ashamed, then I payed them.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:34 pm

trickser wrote:Once I entered Starbucks, I asked for a coffee, but my desire was too incomplete.
Well, that is kind of like going to a restaurant and ordering "food".

Dunno, I think that compared to the usual coffee machines, the various tab/concentrate things are a major increase in convenience, almost as convenient as instant coffee. Almost no cleaning, no complicated refilling procedure, etc. Me personally, I use a simple coffee maker instead, the ones where you press down a metal filter.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:25 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
trickser wrote:Once I entered Starbucks, I asked for a coffee, but my desire was too incomplete.
Well, that is kind of like going to a restaurant and ordering "food".

It is more like going into a burger joint and ordering a burger. Unless otherwise specified, they should bring you a burger, cooked medium, without cheese. Same with Starbucks---without any particular specification, they should give you a cup of black coffee (or, more likely, an empty cup that you can fill from one of their coffee dispensing machines).

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”