Prison Architect Alpha 7 RELEASED

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Prison Architect Alpha 7 RELEASED

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 pm

Breaking news: Starting with Alpha 8, Prison Architect will be a PS4 platform exclusive!

Just kidding. What other platform could have supported something like our Prison Architect Alpha but the mighty PC? The PC is the ultimate open platform, both on the game development side AND the business side - we decide when we are ready to release our game to you guys, and we set the business model that best suits our alpha needs. As of last week, thirty thousand of you agreed with our approach and jumped on board with us. We love the process of delivering new updates to you guys and your feedback and your youtube videos inspire us to work harder. Prison Architect will be a better game because of our alpha process, and opening it up to the community in this way could only ever happen on the PC.

Here’s our Alpha7 video.

Download it straight from our website : www.prison-architect.com/builds.html
Use your forum username and password to access the builds.
You can also get the latest version from the download url in your email purchase receipt.

In alpha 7 we’ve started making good on the some of the promises we made in the higher level tiers to include face in the game and name in the game entries. This is our way of giving back to those customers who are in a position to help at those higher different levels - you’ve been incredibly generous to us. You’ll find a new option in the Main Menu to list all the current Names in the game and Faces in the game, and you can transfer any of them into your prison straight away. In addition, about one third of all randomly generated prisoners will now take their name and bio from this database, meaning our prisons just became a little bit more colourful ; )

If you’ve bought the game and fancy including your own name and bio in our database, then we have a special offer for you. For the next two weeks you can upgrade your purchase for just an extra $10 - half what the upgrade would usually cost.
(Note: This upgrade does not include the game itself - you are purchasing your name and bio in our game database)

Click here to upgrade to the Name in the game.

Moving on, we’ve made a fairly massive change to the game AI rules. From this point forward, only guards can open locked doors. Previously we had a slightly weird situation where prisoners and staff could simply glide through any locked door, so long as they weren’t misbehaving. Jail doors ended up looking like supermarket doors, sliding open willingly. With this new change, your guards will be kept very busy indeed running around and unlocking doors to let prisoners and staff through. You will need to ensure you have enough guards distributed around your jail through the deployment system, otherwise people will end up waiting by locked doors for hours and will fail to achieve their needs or assigned jobs. You will need to think carefully when securing a building with several heavy doors, because this will tie up your guards for a lot of their day. This is another massive change to the guts of the game, and makes the prisons feel quite different.

We’ve also introduced two new Emergencies buttons. “Lockdown” immediately closes and locks all jail doors, sealing everyone wherever they happen to be. This is extremely useful during an attempted escape attempt. Long term fans of Prison Architect will no doubt have experienced the frustration of a single janitor opening the front gates just as a bunch of armed / escaping prisoners run through. This will help with that.
The other emergency button - “Bang Up” - instructs all prisoners to return to their cells. This is useful for crowd control when a fight breaks out. We may consider moving these two new alarm buttons to the main toolbar at some point.

And finally, long overdue, you’ll see a new Options menu in the Main Menu. From here you can change the resolution, fullscreen/windowed etc. You can also press F11 at any time to toggle fullscreen. It’s hard to believe we got by for so long without these basic options! Lucky customers with a shiny new Retina Mac can pick the highest resolution from the list (2560x1600 on a 13” screen!) and enjoy Prison Architect with a level of detail currently unsurpassed.

We hope you enjoy the game.

Here is the full change list:

Code: Select all

= Name-in-the-game / Face-in-the-game
The community database of personalised Names and Faces has been imported into the game
You can view the full database from the main menu option "Names in the game"
Around 30% of all randomly generated prisoners will now include a custom name and bio taken from this database
You can manually transfer any prisoner from this list into your jail - they will arrive in the 8am delivery

= Only Guards can open doors
All locked doors must now be opened by Guards using their keys. Prisoners and staff must wait to be let in.
The exception is the doors on each jail Cell, which open automatically when the prisoner should be let out
Office doors are never locked - anyone can pass through at any time
You can right click on any door to open it manually
Doors can be blocked open but will gradually push blocking objects aside until they close

= Alarm buttons
Under 'Emergencies' there are two new "alarm" buttons:
LOCKDOWN immediately closes and locks all the doors in the prison
Guards will not open doors for anyone. However they will unlock doors on their way if you move them somewhere
BANGUP instructs all prisoners to return immediately to their cell (confusingly, this was called Lockdown in alpha6)
Prisoners will obviously ignore this alarm if they are misbehaving

= Game Options menu
From the main menu you can now access an 'Options' menu to control the application settings
Under GRAPHICS You can control the screen resolution, fullscreen/windowed setting and filtering mode
- Multisampling uses fullscreen anti-aliasing (4xMSAA) to improve the sprite render quality
- Supersampling renders everything at double resolution then downscales to your screen
Both improve the game visuals at the cost of reduced performance
There are also options for Sound, Game etc

- You can now press F11 at any time to toggle fullscreen

- You can press ctrl-p at any time to save a screenshot

- The game will no longer crash on launch if your previous save game was corrupted.
We have disabled autoload of previous saved games for now, until we can fix some loading issues.
(The game now launches with a new empty sandbox)

- Prisoners can now be re-categorised (Max/normal/Min) from their rap sheet

- All research times have been halved

- Fixed: Building lots of fences whilst paused caused endless delivery of empty boxes

- Fixed: Prisoners were no longer bothering to run around the yard whilst exercising

- Fixed: The main build toolbar was sometimes scaled wrongly at certain resolutions,
leading to an annoying scrollbar in the lists of objects/rooms etc

- Performance improvements:
Fixed a major performance bug in the renderer, causing occasional extreme frame lag
Many parts of the render system have been optimised - some visual glitches may occur in entity animations

Stay up to date:
Subscribe to our Blog
Subscribe to our Youtube channel
Follow us on Twitter
Join our mailing list
Last edited by Chris on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gmyx
level1
level1

Postby gmyx » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:09 pm

Nice. Looking forward to send myself into the prison and well... :D sorry me!

Nice list of changes.
Lunnatic
level0

Postby Lunnatic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Any update on the now famous "memory leak"?

Would love to leave my prison running without worrying about it crashing.

Thanks,
Lunna
soul_rever38
level1
level1

Postby soul_rever38 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:03 pm

is it possible to put a link here for the account upgrades please
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Absolutely brilliant! Top stuff. :D

... except for one thing:
All research times have been halved

:cry:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:51 pm

I ONLY READ THE FIRST SENTENCE AND NOW I'M MAD
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
MouldyK
level0

Postby MouldyK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Also, when you mouse over the "Continuous Intake" buttom in New Prision, it uses the words "so you can chose when to accept" instead of "choose".

But nice game. :)

I've improved at it sence I dived in at the Eurogamer Expo and you told me off and to go to the tutorial first.
foggy111
level0

hopeful bug fix

Postby foggy111 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm not sure if people have talked about this already but it seems like the outside squares of the map are inaccessible to characters, for me this has caused a problem where resources and even people have been stuck there with no way to fix it, I'm sorry if this has already been talked about I just think it is something that could be fixed maybe in Alpha 8 :)
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:59 pm

shinygerbil wrote:I ONLY READ THE FIRST SENTENCE AND NOW I'M MAD

Then you should read the second sentence as well and consider yourself trolled by Introversion ;)
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates, it's more like a jar of jalapeños: What you do today might burn your a** tomorrow.
~Garfield
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:10 pm

WOOT! Now i need to kill min sec prisoners
With the sincerest regards,
111none
Guizmus
level0

Postby Guizmus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks ! Love the new door features, we are going to have to think about the right door.
I don't know how the prisoner AI about escaping works, but if each room has a "value" for them, as if the kitchen was a high value room because they could find weapons, wouldn't they try to go inside if no guard was around ? I only suggest, it would be fun if they took any opportunity they could, for the harder ones maybe.
Anyway, love how you upgrade the game, and this alpha system is a great idea to make the best game ever !
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Hah just saw me in the video... surreal :o

I thought me doing a poo was bad until Morris got his kit off :!:
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 pm

This reminds me I'm sitting in a "name in game" purchase since about the time the alpha was released.

I really should get on that >.>
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:13 pm

ynbniar wrote:Hah just saw me in the video... surreal :o

You're Dean Mccabe? I'd never put that together until now! Congratulations for being the lucky prisoner we found during our calamitous alpha video :)
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 pm

Chris wrote:
ynbniar wrote:Hah just saw me in the video... surreal :o

You're Dean Mccabe? I'd never put that together until now! Congratulations for being the lucky prisoner we found during our calamitous alpha video :)

Made my day :D

Return to “Introversion Blog”