The War.... ON CHRISTMAS!!!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

Is there truly a "war" on Christmas?

Yes
18%
No
64%
Yes, and we're winning
9%
No, Christmas actually has a "war" on Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Festivus.
9%

Total votes: 11
AIRburst95
level3
level3

The War.... ON CHRISTMAS!!!

Postby AIRburst95 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:27 pm

It's happening, ins't it?

Merry Christmas, from Fox News!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:41 pm

Ignoring the self-entitled atheists and colossal racists, there's nothing of the sort.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:09 am

I don't get the christmas and war hype. It's just a time of celebration and sharing that is part of the culture. Nothing to do with religion or whatever.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:10 am

I'm now imagining an RTS with Santa elfs carrying machine guns.
Last edited by Xocrates on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, this whole thing started some years ago (~5 years) when a few big retailers replaced Christmas by holidays in their advertisement to try to grab some customers in the minorities.

The fun things that always crossed my mind about this:
1) The policy was most probably put in place and/or approved by white christian peoples. (The high-ups in the companies)
2) Was there in check done to see if the minorities cared at all if it's called Christmas or not?

Overzealous political correctness can we say?
The Ultimate Uplink Guide (for any question on Uplink)
Latest Uplink Patch
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:58 pm

frenchfrog wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, this whole thing started some years ago (~5 years) when a few big retailers replaced Christmas by holidays in their advertisement to try to grab some customers in the minorities.

The fun things that always crossed my mind about this:
1) The policy was most probably put in place and/or approved by white christian peoples. (The high-ups in the companies)
2) Was there in check done to see if the minorities cared at all if it's called Christmas or not?

Overzealous political correctness can we say?

I agree that this is just overzealous political correctness. But the new problems appear to be that the ACLU has begun to sue City Courthouses for setting up nativity scenes, the ACLU argues that this violates the national religion clause of the 1st amendment.

Bill O'Reilly this year however has switched his attention to the changing of "christmas trees" to "holiday trees". I say we just find middle ground here and call them what they are, Evergreen Trees.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Its the grim Grinch, its his fault we dont think and feel all the same.
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm

AIRburst95 wrote:But the new problems appear to be that the ACLU has begun to sue City Courthouses for setting up nativity scenes, the ACLU argues that this violates the national religion clause of the 1st amendment.

That's a interesting twist of the separation of state and church, in a way a kind of agree with the ACLU, public servants should be neutral to the regard of the religions. Also why spending taxpayer money on a religion thing, the local churches already create such nativity scenes. On the other hand, the cities already use taxpayer money to put Christmas trees and some decorations.

I think it's hard to draw the line partly because Christianity in Occident it's not just a religion, it's part of the history/culture. Holidays (Christmas, Easter and to some extend Thanksgiving) comes from the christian religions. So I'm kind of ambivalent on the question.

Here we have similar issues with the removing of the crucifix in the equivalent of the house of the representatives (raging debate coming back in the political scene from time to time) and with a mayor insisting on recitation a prayer at the beginning of the city council (currently in court).

AIRburst95 wrote:Bill O'Reilly this year however has switched his attention to the changing of "christmas trees" to "holiday trees". I say we just find middle ground here and call them what they are, Evergreen Trees.

I think the Christmas trees should keep is name because it's the name of a particular object. Again, probably some political correctness and/or some retailers trying to make some more money by trying to remove the christian connotation to introduce the product in new markets (no christian crown) and make it part of the holiday season whether you celebrate Christmas or not.

That being said, I don't see a problem calling this period of the year the holidays, because multiple events are celebrated by different people. Whether it's simply a family meeting or religious celebrations.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:05 pm

according to this cracked article the war on christmas has been around for centuries.
There was a small bit of it going on Belgium this year if I remember correctly since our capital renamed the "christmas market" to an event called "winter joy" or something like that.
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Raventhorne
level1
level1

Postby Raventhorne » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:32 am

Christmas is after all the holidays this year..
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Raventhorne wrote:Christmas is after all the holidays this year..

wat
Raventhorne
level1
level1

Postby Raventhorne » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:30 am

AIRburst95 wrote:

wat
The last option of the poll, "No, Christmas actually has a "war" on Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Festivus."
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Raventhorne wrote:
AIRburst95 wrote:

wat
The last option of the poll, "No, Christmas actually has a "war" on Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and Festivus."

Are you saying no one really celebrates hanukkah, kwanzaa, and festivus?
Raventhorne
level1
level1

Postby Raventhorne » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:49 pm

When did I say no one celebrates those holidays? It's called a joke in regards to a poll option that was, I'm assuming, meant to be funny.

Clearly it no longer is.
AIRburst95
level3
level3

Postby AIRburst95 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 pm

Raventhorne wrote:When did I say no one celebrates those holidays?

Raventhorne wrote:Christmas is after all the holidays this year.

then

Return to “Introversion Lounge”