More guns, no guns, gun control? *BANG! BANG!!*

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

What is your stance on gun proliferation?

I own a gun. I DON'T TRUST MY DAMN NEIGHBOUR!!!
2%
I own several guns, I'm a hitman .(shhhh don't tell anyone)
4%
Change the constitution. Outlaw guns once and for all!
16%
GIMME A FLAMETHROWER!
2%
Nukes for everyone!
8%
I don't own one right now, but I seek to acquire some soon as I'm planning a massacre.
2%
I'm a hippie. WADDUA THINK I MEAN?? *punches you in the face*
No votes
I don't like guns. When I kill people I use a dildo.
6%
mmmmmmmmmmmmy Glock.
1%
Strict gun control is the way to go.
21%
If everyone had guns, less violence would be the result.
13%
I'm in a gun club, I only shoot for pleasure.
2%
I'm in a gun club, I train for home defense.
4%
I like bananas.
7%
OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4%
Militias is our only hope.
7%

Total votes: 85
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:28 am

Well, if you're serious enough to go through with killing others as well as yourself, you'd probably want to find out reality and not rely on perception. Yes?

Also, :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Speaking of all this, nothing like a quick oil and maintenance during a study break. :D

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:Well, if you're serious enough to go through with killing others as well as yourself, you'd probably want to find out reality and not rely on perception. Yes?

Also, :P

I have repeatedly suggested that crazy people don't think straight, and your rebuttal is that a sane person wouldn't think in the manner in which a crazy person would think. I don't understand what your point is.

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:39 pm

I was mostly being silly, however, I'd argue most sane people don't think straight. :wink:

In truth, I think in the situation we're talking about, there was at least some amount of planning as he went to have a chat before he killed himself. In this situation, I don't think it's at all out of line to suggest he would have had a reason and taken time himself to find out the best method of 'quick and painless', which was your assertion. Most likely, he was probably going for 'quick and easy'.

My rebuttal wasn't that a crazy person would think sanely. Crazy people do think with some amount of sanity all the time. In fact, who's to say he was crazy? That is, what defines a crazy person?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:25 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:In truth, I think in the situation we're talking about,

I was originally making a large generalization. I don't know very much about this particular situation. What I said was that there are circumstances that appear superficially similar to the current situation in which a lack of access to a firearm would probably save lives. In this particular situation (or any specific situation), it is impossible to say. I am speaking of aggregate data, not specific examples.

Ace Rimmer wrote:...there was at least some amount of planning as he went to have a chat before he killed himself.

Planning does not preclude bad planning. Having the time to make a plan does not mean that the person making the plan is competent to choose the quickest and most painless methods available. The planner may honestly believe that firearms are quick an painless---I mean, they certainly look that way on TV! You are projecting your superior knowledge onto a class of people who may not have that knowledge.

Ace Rimmer wrote:In this situation, I don't think it's at all out of line to suggest he would have had a reason and taken time himself to find out the best method of 'quick and painless', which was your assertion. Most likely, he was probably going for 'quick and easy'.

This does not contradict anything I said.

Ace Rimmer wrote:My rebuttal wasn't that a crazy person would think sanely. Crazy people do think with some amount of sanity all the time. In fact, who's to say he was crazy? That is, what defines a crazy person?

Again, I said that a person who is willing to kill another probably is not thinking like you or I, and you rebut by claiming that if you were to kill someone, you would do it differently. It is irrelevant. And now you want to argue semantics.

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:04 pm

Perhaps I just like provoking responses from a better debater. Stewsburntmonkey isn't around anymore. :P

Also, it's funny you mention TV when I posted a clip from TV... (yes, yes, not entirely the 'same' discussion, but funny regardless)

xander wrote:The planner may honestly believe that firearms are quick an painless---I mean, they certainly look that way on TV! You are projecting your superior knowledge onto a class of people who may not have that knowledge.
Raventhorne
level1
level1

Postby Raventhorne » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:40 am

Trying to ban guns is a waste of time. Making them illegal wont stop criminals.. it's already illegal for them to have them, yet they do... so why ban us from protecting ourselves?
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:17 pm

Because we are insane?
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Raventhorne wrote:Trying to ban guns is a waste of time. Making them illegal wont stop criminals.. it's already illegal for them to have them, yet they do... so why ban us from protecting ourselves?

That is the most vacuous logic that I have ever heard. First, there is no 100% effective way of stopping a motivated person from doing anything. However, making it more difficult to do something is going to weed out all but the very most motivated. Second, you are painting a black and white picture: either everyone gets all the guns they want, or we ban them. Only the lunatic fringes on either side believe either of these statements. Most people would call for something between the ends. Personally, I would like to see registration of firearms, deeper background checks, bans on more powerful weapons (honestly---what do you need a AR15 for?), and a reduction in availability overall. Finally, you are making the assumption that possession of a firearm would allow someone to protect themselves. On the other hand, it could just as easily escalate a bad situation---imagine if there had been one or two well armed citizens in that darkened theater in Aurora a few months back. Do you really think that they would have been able to do much of anything to help in all of the confusion and panic? Would it really have been helpful for the staff of Sandy Hook to have firearms? or would it have been a potential risk to the students? Your single run on sentence of a post if so full of false dichotomies and straw men that I honestly don't see how anyone could take it seriously...

xander
Foxsake
level1
level1

Postby Foxsake » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:23 am

You're much more likely to be a victim of a shooting if you're carrying a gun. (By about 4.5 times)
For me, that's a pretty good reason not to carry a gun.

One other interesting thing is comparing the stats in Feud's 2004 BBC story to much more recent stats, 8 years on. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3761626.stm

Also, articles like this, stating 35% rise in UK gun crime http://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/15/g ... re-banned/ and then citing a daily mail article which was written nine years earlier...

When the actual 'raw' stats (all I could find is London, but that's going to be worse than the UK average, and it supports my point) http://www.citizensreportuk.org/news/20 ... 2006-2011/

I don't use stats to prove a particular point, more than they are usually presented with opinion dressed up as fact and conclusion.

Of course this is quite funny too, but it could just as easily something random like the number of pirates or shopping malls per capita too. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/exploringo ... graph.html
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:56 am

Foxsake wrote:You're much more likely to be a victim of a shooting if you're carrying a gun. (By about 4.5 times)
For me, that's a pretty good reason not to carry a gun.

Those statistics generally don't factor into whether you're obeying the law or not. A gang member getting shot by a rival gang member, for example, would count. When you remove such factors, the numbers drop a lot.

Also, everyone argues about escalation. I'd like to see some facts to actually back that up.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 am

Foxsake wrote:You're much more likely to be a victim of a shooting if you're carrying a gun. (By about 4.5 times)

Do you have an explanation for that? I find it really hard to believe that it's happening for any reason other than the one Feud pointed to.
xander wrote:That is the most vacuous logic that I have ever heard. First, there is no 100% effective way of stopping a motivated person from doing anything. However, making it more difficult to do something is going to weed out all but the very most motivated.

Am I not understanding something? I was under impression that criminals use criminally obtained weapons anyway and ban of legal weapons is not going to affect them.

Myself being from the country where firearms are "banned", I can tell you that law-abiding citizens are the only ones affected by this ban. In fact, the statistics on gun violence seem to be so bad that they don't even release them. But if we apply UN data on average percentage of gun homicides in all homicides (60%) to an official number of murders in Russia (10.2 per 100k), we will get a figure (6.12 per 100k) that is actually twice as big as the US one (3.7 per 100k).

I would like to see guns most suited for self-defense (pistols, etc) being available to anyone who wishes to go through registration process and military-grade weapons (AK-47, etc) either banned or only available after strict background checks for people who can justify a need to own such weapon.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:49 am

rus|Mike wrote:
xander wrote:That is the most vacuous logic that I have ever heard. First, there is no 100% effective way of stopping a motivated person from doing anything. However, making it more difficult to do something is going to weed out all but the very most motivated.

Am I not understanding something? I was under impression that criminals use criminally obtained weapons anyway and ban of legal weapons is not going to affect them.

Most of gun based crime occurs with legally obtained guns. Therefore reducing access to guns could dissuade a fair amount of potential criminals.

rus|Mike wrote:Myself being from the country where firearms are "banned", I can tell you that law-abiding citizens are the only ones affected by this ban. In fact, the statistics on gun violence seem to be so bad that they don't even release them. But if we apply UN data on average percentage of gun homicides in all homicides (60%) to an official number of murders in Russia (10.2 per 100k), we will get a figure (6.12 per 100k) that is actually twice as big as the US one (3.7 per 100k).

Russia is not the US.

If you compare the US with countries with similar standards of living but with gun bans, the numbers aren't quite as favourable. Assuming this or this to be correct, the US has murder rates that quadruple most of EU, or countries like Canada or Australia.

Russia has a notoriously high rate, as does Africa and South America. But there are larger social issues at hand there, those are mostly absent in the US which really has no excuse for its murder/firearm crime rate.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:51 am

What's your source on most being legally purchased?

While most might have been legally purchased at some point, I find it very doubtful that most end users obtained them legally. Ne
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:10 am

rus|Mike wrote:

You seem to be not understanding several things. First, I have not suggested that firearms be banned. Rather, I have suggested that certain kinds of firearms be banned (in the same way that, for instance, RPGs are currently banned), and that greater control and regulation should be imposed on other types of weapons. Second, the fact that a control is not 100% effective does not mean that it isn't worthwhile. It is illegal for minors to purchase alcohol in the US. Does that mean that alcohol is never used/abused by minors? Hell, no. But is does reduce the incidences of use/abuse. Finally, your claim that such regulations will have no effect on a criminal's ability to obtain firearms, because they already obtain firearms illegally anyway. Of course, if there are fewer weapons manufactured, then obtaining firearms, either legally or illegally becomes more difficult, which seems like an effect to me.

rus|Mike wrote:I would like to see guns most suited for self-defense (pistols, etc) being available to anyone who wishes to go through registration process and military-grade weapons (AK-47, etc) either banned or only available after strict background checks for people who can justify a need to own such weapon.

Isn't this exactly the approach I suggested above? To quote myself:

xander wrote:Most people would call for something between the ends. Personally, I would like to see registration of firearms, deeper background checks, bans on more powerful weapons (honestly---what do you need a AR15 for?), and a reduction in availability overall.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”