Bunker location

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

AAKurtz
level0

Bunker location

Postby AAKurtz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:33 pm

This would be a very simple mod that wouldnt effect gameplay or the balance of the game, but simply add to atmosphere. At defcon 5 when you're placing buildings and such, one of the locations you place should be the secret location of the bunker you're doing all your commanding from. This location wouldnt really matter much, but when a nuke went off near by it should rattle the screen or maybe the picture would click out for a second. It shouldnt be anything that would really effect your command, but kinda funny or surprizing if your looking at one side of the map and then your screen looses half its colors and freezes for a second, when you look back at your territory there would be a giant white cloud over your bunker.

Who knows, maybe command bunker local could even effect game play. Like everytime a nuke went off near your bunker it would scramble the view screen information like show a boat in the middle of asia or a radar feed would cut out for a few seconds. Maybe you would be unable to send orders for a bit. the best part about this is that people would never know if they hit your bunker or not.

For gameplay and balance issues, i think very minimal screen rattling and jumbling would be good.
notforsale
level1
level1

Postby notforsale » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:04 am

THe idea appeals emotionally.
Its Probably in the FAQ
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:10 am

Heh. This reminds me of the Insanity Effects used in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:50 am

i'd like to hear a sound that sounds like whatever you'd hear in a bunker if a nuke would explode at that specific radius.
shaking and scrambling would also be nice. or sth sort of like when you hold a magnet to your monitor (don't do it!)
i however don't like the idea of taking away the ability to send orders...
jfore88
level1
level1

Postby jfore88 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:25 am

timonator wrote:shaking and scrambling would also be nice. or sth sort of like when you hold a magnet to your monitor (don't do it!)

Lol, just go to the monitor setup thing (press the buttons on the monitor) and go to "degauss" which can sometimes appear as an icon like a U (or a horseshoe magnet) with a line through it. This causes the magnets in the screen (which normally emit a static magnetic field) to emit a random field for a few seconds, scrambling the magnetism you just gave the screen and clearing away any effects of holding a magnet near the screen.

What this has to do with DEFCON, or anything else in this forum, I don't know. Just thought I'd throw some random info in here.
unknown
level1
level1

Postby unknown » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:38 am

I really, really, REALLY like this idea.

There doesn't even have to be any effect other than minor interference with the screen. Rattling, maybe, or just interference. It would be wonderfully immersive, and I would like to see the screen fuzz a little, like when the cable cord isn't in well on the television, whenever a nuke hit.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:49 am

And then Introversion reveals that you are commanding nuclear warfare from earth on The Moon.

Yes, The Moon.

And since The Moon isn't represented on this projection of the map, I guess you can't nuke enemy bunkers, then :D

--------

And whose to say that this game is situated in the way you all preceive it? What if I want to beleive Defcon, in it's universe, is a simulator for strategic warfare of the M.A.D. variety taught to students from a distant future, where all the political details were fuzzed up.

So in this case, what bunker? Players represent the ENTIRE chain of military command for each of thier respective zones. So, in the case of Asia, it isn't just the Chinise bunker, but the collective decision making for China, the asian countries, the middle east, and so on.

So I don't beleive there is a 'bunker' or 'hq' to be held. Adding one would just put a nail into the flexibility of Defcon's possibilities.
graphain
level1
level1

Postby graphain » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:32 am

I proposed a similar concept to the bunker with the difference being if the bunker got destroyed you lost nuke capabilities (no nuke command code).
UsF
level1
level1

Postby UsF » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:54 am

I like the idea, but think, that a bunker would have to be linked to a city/silo/airbase, so you cant place it anywhere on your territory, where noone ever would hit it. It wouldnt be destroyable as the object it is linked to, but it increases the chance for the bunker ever beeing hit. If you were able to place it anywhere, just place it in siberia or iceland and chances are high that it will never be hit.
graphain
level1
level1

Postby graphain » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:59 am

I was thinking the first silo you place is the bunker. Either that or you get a bunker that look and works like a silo.
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:41 am

The idea of hearing deep muted nuke blasts is extremely awesome, and I hope it could be added (not sure if they'll want to add additional sounds, but it would be totally worth it). It would be a great compliment to the other atmospheric sounds of voices, coughing, and the deepening pitch of the somber soundtrack.

I don't like the idea of an actual icon on the map for your bunker location. I would rather it be invisible and just chosen at the beginning of the match (maybe during unit placement, but with no map icon), or else maybe automatically set at the location of your largest city. I would think it should be for aesthetic and atmospheric purposes only. The gameplay balance for something as drastic as radar disruption could be a difficult thing to reach... Plus I guess I just don't like the idea of losing command control for any reason.

But deep rumbling booms, getting louder as the blasts get closer. Maybe the screen quickly flickers with static for really close ones. Simply awesome.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:57 pm

I like! This to shall receive:
[size=0]Man, I've been handing these out like candy recently![/size]

xander
timonator
level2
level2

Postby timonator » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:59 pm

don't forget to also hear fighters and bombers and fighting over the bunker :)
that is, if that would not be too hard to do (all the sounds etc)
unknown
level1
level1

Postby unknown » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:11 pm

Hegemon Hog wrote:But deep rumbling booms, getting louder as the blasts get closer. Maybe the screen quickly flickers with static for really close ones. Simply awesome.

Yeah, this is what I woudl really like, as well.
HerrSteiner
level1
level1

3 bunkers

Postby HerrSteiner » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:00 pm

i was thinking about 3 bunkers in Defcon 1 the enemy can see these 3 bunkers Only 1 one bunker is the player sitting Or you send 5 nukes to this bunker(30seconds no control anymore of the map) or u use them for destroying the cities....

Return to “Think Tank”