Uplink for Android launches...in a Humble Bundle

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Uplink for Android launches...in a Humble Bundle

Postby Chris » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:09 pm

We bring fantastic news. Uplink is now available for Android tablets! And if that wasn’t epic enough, we are also launching Uplink Android in the Humble Android Bundle #3, which has just kicked off.

If you head over to Humble Bundleright now you can Pay What You Want for Uplink and you’ll get it on Android, PC, Mac and linux and we’ve even thrown in the soundtrack (super high quality mp3 or flac lossless glory). As if that isn’t enough for you you’ll also get Fieldrunners, Space Chem and Bit.Trip Beat all on the same spread of platforms. You also get a warm glow knowing that a portion of your payment goes to the good work undertaken by the EFF and Child’s Play charities. That’s a stunning collection of games and given you can PAY WHAT YOU WANT it’s pretty much a no brainer for anyone with an android device. It’s actually pretty much a no brainer for anyone without an android device, because someone might give you an android device for Christmas and then you’ll wish you bought the bundle when you had the chance.

Development of the android port started shortly after we launched Uplink for iPad in early june (read my blog post about it here). We contacted the humble boys to see if they would be interested in a bundle with Uplink and they pointed us in the direction of Apportable. Apportable have a semi-automated build process that takes the Objective C code for the IOS version of a game and automagically generates an android build. There’s still a good deal of work that needs to go into making sure that the game will run on the multiple form factors of Android devices, but they put the effort in and we’re pleased with the results.

We’re sorry it took a while to get the Android version of Uplink out there, but we hope that the pricing model makes it worthwhile! If you agree please share the love via facebook, twitter, conversation in the pub etc.

In case you missed it first time around, here’s our launch video for the tablet version of Uplink! For those who are interested, the star of this “film” is none other than Introversion financial director Thomas Arundel.

Follow us to stay up to date:
Subscribe to our Blog
Subscribe to our Youtube channel
Follow us on Twitter
Join our Mail list
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:19 pm

The HIB widget on all the Introversion sites. Oh god.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Great news indeed, especially as I do love HIB for android.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Sobek999
level0

Postby Sobek999 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:25 pm

*Breaks through wall* OH YEAH!
forces
level0

Postby forces » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:28 pm

I don't have a Tablet right now, but I am definitely planning on getting a nexus 7, so I'll hopefully enjoy the game very much again!
Leakysandwich
level0

Postby Leakysandwich » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi Guys
Awesome job with an Android version!! Was eagerly waiting for this to come out. Not since the original Uplink on PC was i this excited to have a game on my tablet :)
(now for Darwinia and Defcon... ;P )

Could you possibly make an official Uplink4Android forum area where we can post info, updates or issues, specifically for the Andorid version...?
What would also be nice is a place where we can download new versions of the uplink .APK file - since buying it through the Humble Bundle, GooglePlay does not recognise the app as being bought, and thus would not give you option to update the app to the latest version.
I have already seen some issues popping up with the Android version which i would like to bring to your attention.

Would really appreciate it, and again THANKS for Uplink on Android!! :D
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm not sure what purpose a dedicated Android subforum would do, or how widely it would be used. The entirety of the Uplink forum gets maybe five or six posts in a week that aren't spam. My guess is that there will be a spike in activity for a couple of weeks, then things will die down again. If you have a technical issue, there is a forum for that. If you want to be social under the aegis of Uplink, you might try this forum. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

xander

Return to “Introversion Blog”