[Minecraft] Introversion Server

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

World Reset when Minecraft 1.2 has stabilised?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 am

Never!
No votes
No, but will accept if necessary
No votes
No strong opinions either way
31%
Yes, but not required
38%
Please!
31%

Total votes: 13
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:06 pm

Yeah, water blocks freeze in the cold, so you just build a box around them and wait a while. They need to be exposed to air or else they won't freeze.
Miktor
level1
level1

Postby Miktor » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Okay, so I was talking about a mobtrap. I've tried some designs, and with the new map format, it's much easier than before, to make mobtraps. This is because you can simply place the spawning rooms very high above ground, so there won't be any mobs spawning in caves underground, and thereby "blocking spawnslots".

Also we will need a lot of sand for the tnt. Luckily there's various solutions to that. A simple solution could be blowing up sand in the desert. For every tnt block you use, you get more than you lose + it digs out sand in an area if needed. Another solution is making a sand generator. apparently there's a bug which enables you to make infinite sand.

Here's a video of the sand factory: www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJ8POZrygk
and a tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_hpwvq7D_0

The sandfactory makes 25b/s (blocks per second). That will be enough for all our needs.
It could also be used to make sandstone blocks, which the mobtrap could then be built out of.

As for now I'm not sure what mob trap design I should go with. I have a very effective one, but it's very costly since it's made with sticky pistons. There's a much cheaper design, which only requires normal pistons. The second would probably be best to start out with.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:31 am

I don't really get mob traps to be honest. Sounds like they will be buffed in 1.2, though.

Block Duplicator?
Perpetual Motion?
Free Meal?

I think BUD switches are as far as I am personally prepared to venture into glitch land :p

Very, very interesting contraption nevertheless!

-----

Minecraft 1.2 is out tomorrow!

I will update the server when I have the time, but I need to tweak some things in the world folder for us to benefit from the new biomes, I believe.

On that note:
frymaster wrote:another implication of biomes being saved is that when the map generator updates, it doesn't start raining in your desert and your oceans don't start freezing over
This means the only issue associated with forcing our map into 1.2 biomes will be chunk edges possibly acting weird. This will probably mostly be an issue under the surface.

Finally, I need to migrate to the Anvil branch of Minecraft Overviewer, our map generator. This involves writing up completely new configuration files, but should allow us to have biome tinting and Nether/The End maps as well.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Heads up! Opinions needed!

Me and zach have been discussing the possibility of doing a map reset soon-ish. The idea is mostly so that we don't end up building the DG v4 in an outdated map and end up losing more features than what we would need to. Doing it soon would allow people to settle in and start preparations for the main construction (with the construction itself taking place in probably a few months), while still being allowed to play normally and dedicate time to their own projects.

The current map would, obviously, be available for download for anyone wishing to visit and/or work on on-going projects.

What do you guys think?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:18 pm

I haven't done anything to the current map, so I abstain. And if you consider that gutless, fine, I'm all for a reset.
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Me, MaZuffeR and Flumps vote yes.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 am

I have added a poll to the original post. It will run for three days.

Please take the poll, and if necessary, present your arguments in this thread.

In other news: Server updated to Minecraft 1.2.2

Overviewer map updates will be postponed until I have had sufficient time to grasp the new Anvil branch, and related configuration files.
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:48 pm

The vote seems pretty unanimous to me. When are we going to reset, zach? Also, the map hasn't been updating lately; is that intended?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:03 am

We will reset when we feel the Minecraft 1.2 release has stabilised sufficiently, if the current region banding issues (and other standing terraion generation issues) are fixed by then.

If the region banding issues are not fixed when 1.2 has stabilised, I propose that we wait for them to become so. :(

-

I need a few hours off to have a look at the new Anvil branch of Minecraft Overviewer before the map will update again. I am sorry about this, but I am pretty swamped with studies at the moment.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:44 am

Just how serious is the biome bands issue? I've never came across it when testing in creative mode and most/all references to it I find online mention that it can be fixed by reloading the map.
Ilenius
level1
level1

Postby Ilenius » Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:52 am

zach wrote:I need a few hours off to have a look at the new Anvil branch of Minecraft Overviewer before the map will update again. I am sorry about this, but I am pretty swamped with studies at the moment.

There's no rush :) Take all the time you need.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Xocrates wrote:Just how serious is the biome bands issue? I've never came across it when testing in creative mode and most/all references to it I find online mention that it can be fixed by reloading the map.

Oh. It seems you are correct. For reference, this is what I want to avoid.

Minecraft 1.2.3 seems to have stabilised as well, whatwith the lack of tweets regarding upcoming fixes.

In that case ... how about a map reset this Friday, the 9th of May? I'll be off for a few hours in the afternoon, should be enough to set up the new world and enable map generation again.

We also need to figure out a way to record a timelapse of the megastructure construction, methinks.

-

Finally; how would people feel about me setting up some small donation button on the website?

The server is pretty expensive as it is, and it is actually slightly below the specifications we need (if we want to keep the map, and maybe set up a small test/public server or whatever, in the future).

I would like for us to afford the next step up, specs-wise. That would give us 3 GiB RAM for the server process, and 1 GiB RAM for the map generation, web server, backup et al.

We could even go back to running in a RAMdisk, then.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:36 pm

zach wrote:In that case ... how about a map reset this Friday, the 9th of May?

Should be fine by me.

zach wrote:We also need to figure out a way to record a timelapse of the megastructure construction, methinks.

I honestly doubt we could set a timelapse short of getting an account to act as a camera. Unless we only do something along the lines of daily snapshots or make the timelapse out of the map.

zach wrote:Finally; how would people feel about me setting up some small donation button on the website?

Fine by me.

Also, how much are you paying for the server?
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:03 pm

I meant the 9th of March, obviously.

Well, we could do daily snapshots, or a map timelapse - but I am more interested in how to set it up. It seems there is a mod called Multishot that helps with this.

The cost of a camera account is nothing compared to the cost of the server.

On that note; I currently pay $80 per month. I can afford this (more or less), but I will not be able to pay for a specification upgrade out of my own pockets, hence the possible donation suggestion.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:10 pm

zach wrote: $80 per month.

Whoa. I admit that I never thought server rentals to be that expensive :P Though in hindsight, it seems to make some sense.

For camera setup, we only really need a safe location with a good view and a way to record it. Though if we're going to use a "camera" account, setting the player to creative (and hence, flying and invincible) might be a good idea.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”