[Minecraft] Introversion Server

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

World Reset when Minecraft 1.2 has stabilised?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 am

Never!
No votes
No, but will accept if necessary
No votes
No strong opinions either way
31%
Yes, but not required
38%
Please!
31%

Total votes: 13
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Xocrates wrote:(also, knowing you, you would probably end up suggesting we do it in gold blocks or something ;) )

I say mossy cobble stone. :wink:

That sounds like a heck of a feat for regular mode. I would be very interested to see the result though, so (if my schedule allows it) I'd be willing to help out some.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:16 pm

How about ... green wool?

All of the resources are infinite, anyway.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:42 pm

zach wrote:All of the resources are infinite, anyway.

Our lifespans, however, aren't. :P
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:02 pm

Speak for yourself.

Cryogenics, singularity (the AI singularity, or alternatively the life expectancy singularity) etc.

:D

EDIT: Actually, the main issue with using Green Wool (which would OBVIOUSLY UNQUESTIONABLY be the favourable material to use) is iron for sheers.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:30 am

zach wrote:EDIT: Actually, the main issue with using Green Wool (which would OBVIOUSLY UNQUESTIONABLY be the favourable material to use) is iron for sheers.

Yeah, until some huckster with flint and steel comes along. Then...vhroom!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:45 am

zach wrote:EDIT: Actually, the main issue with using Green Wool (which would OBVIOUSLY UNQUESTIONABLY be the favourable material to use) is iron for sheers.

We're considering digging a hole of at least 300.000 blocks, erect a building of roughly 95.000 blocks, and your problem is the approximately 400 iron bars we would need for sheers? Really?
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Can I be white-listed...? I've been following notch for sometime, but never got around to playing the game. It's worth mentioning that I'm using a friend's account, so the user is: DFG

EDIT: Did any of you make your character's skin? What did you use to edit it? I got a copy of the default character layout. So far, I tried:
-online tools and they ran too slow
-using GIMP, and the colors come out silly
-MS paint, but the black background it uses for transparency makes me lose track of the body dimensions (black background + black hair = LAKDRJVNILA)
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:11 am

Xocrates wrote:We're considering digging a hole of at least 300.000 blocks, erect a building of roughly 95.000 blocks, and your problem is the approximately 400 iron bars we would need for sheers? Really?

Okay, evidently I didn't do the maths. But, seeing as resource gathering will be much less of a problem than excavation and erection, I don't see the gathering of 95,000 blocks of green wool as much of a problem to be honest. It grows back now, you know ;)

However, Feud makes a valid point. Flint and Steel would ruin a lot. Do fires still spread indefinitely through wool? I know they no longer do on forests, at least.

My point being; if any single fire (assuming accidental ignition) breaks out, and it does not spread indefinitely, it should be trivial to mend.

GreenRock: Added DFG to whitelist. Please let us know when you get your own account, and remind us to remove DFG from the whitelist (unless you want her/him to play there as well) :)

Also, MS Paint should work. Just keep your hair pink until you're ready to colour it black, and then give it a near-black (I recommend rgb(1,1,1)) colour. Obviously this is not ideal, but I don't understand why GIMP isn't nice to you.

However, I like using GraphicsGale for pixel-based work. Sadly that doesn't have a decent license at best - useful, though.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:26 am

zach wrote:Okay, evidently I didn't do the maths.

Speaking of maths, a v4 wouldn't be twice as big as a v3, it would be eight times as large. Yes, a single v4 would be bigger than the full multiwinia symbol we had planned :P

Also, fire was nerfed in general, so yes, fire wouldn't burn down the whole thing or would do so rather slowly.

Lightning might be a pain though
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:58 am

We could make a lightning-proof roof.

A v4 would be insane. But also insanely AWESOME!

I ... I don't know how we would excavate, though.

EDIT: Each "block" would be 40³ m, so we would ideally find a 120x40 plot of land to avoid having to remove ocean. Clearing out a view point would also be necessary.

Wow, that is a lot of stuff to remove.
Last edited by zach on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miktor
level1
level1

Postby Miktor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:09 am

zach wrote:We could make a lightning-proof roof.

A v4 would be insane. But also insanely AWESOME!

I ... I don't know how we would excavate, though.

Make a creeper grinder... That was my plan, but mob grinders are hard to make, especially when you have to use spawnrooms like with the creeper. But you could probably produce tnt faster than you could dig it out with a proper mob grinder...
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:10 am

Do mob grinders still work?

I was of the impression that they only dropped stuff if they were actually killed by a player. Maybe that only applies to Orbs, though.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:20 pm

zach wrote:Do mob grinders still work?

A quick test in single player creative shows that they still do, however I seriously doubt we could produce TNT faster than it would take to actually dig the hole relative to a TNT explosion.

Look, even if you really don't want to use creative mode, can we at least compromise and use creative mode to dig the hole?

Also, let's talk logistics. Prior to construction, we will need:

Sheep pen (massive)
Wheat farm (large) to feed the sheep (reproduction)
Cactus farm (massive)
Fuel production (better option is likely to be Nether portal to lava lake. This will significantly increase the amount of iron needed due to buckets though)
Furnace room (to process cactus into dye)
Iron (for shears and buckets)

Also also, I'm going to leave this right here so this is perfectly clear:

ALL PLANNING MUST BE DONE PRIOR TO CONSTRUCTION

I really don't want another instance of a few people doing work while others go faffing about with the tapestry or whatever. Any attempt to change plans that are not a response to emergent problems will be vetoed.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:44 pm

Don't forget the massive supply of wood that would be necessary to chop down for things like tool handles, ladders, and storage boxes.

Either that would require even more iron (for axes) or it would have to be done by hand, which would a while.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:55 pm

I'm assuming all tools will be stone.

That said, so long as people replant what trees they cut down we should be able to only need a fairly small forest since raw wood has a pretty good conversion rate and grows fairly fast (particularly if we use whatever random bone marrow we gather)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”