Prison Architect to have 'paid alpha'

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
mibias
level5
level5

Prison Architect to have 'paid alpha'

Postby mibias » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:35 pm

Stumbled upon this article on PC gamer

Seems like we'll be playing Prison Architect before the world ends. :wink:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:29 pm

So, that'll be most of the forum regulars then ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:54 am

On a similar note, for as much as I love IV's games they have a horrible track record for updates, news, and releases. I'm a bit hesitant to put down money on an alpha because of that. If it seems fairly complete then I might, but it makes me nervous.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:58 am

Well, Minecraft did something similar and look how that ended up. . . . ;)

It depends on how much is being charged, in my opinion. If it's a matter of "we need money to stay afloat" then I'd probably be more willing to do it too.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:05 am

jelco wrote:it's more "charging you money without having to give any guarantees".

How is this any different from a regular purchase? Buying a game on release doesn't guarantee that a game works, depending on the game and where you got it, you won't even have a guarantee of your money back if it doesn't.

While I admit that I am not hugely fond of the concept of "paying to test your game" I freely admit that in practice it tends to be a good idea. It gives the public the ability to try the game early, usually at a lower price point, and you get WAY more feedback than with a small group of dedicated testers (million monkeys at keyboard, etc...)

Besides, you should be well aware that even in the previous IV betas, only a fraction of the testers was actually active. Unless you're suggesting that IV actually hire someone to do QA, this is likely a better option than the previous method.

BTW, the bragging rights people were the ones that joined the old betas and proceeded to do nothing, there is nothing to brag about when everyone can get in.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:41 am

jelco wrote:Anyone complaining about problems with it was basically told "you're expecting too much, it's a beta". Once it hits stable it's much more accepted to complain and people are much more inclined to listen to you.

That's the case with people outside the developing company. I don't care if random forums or websites listen to the complaints, so long as the ones doing the actual development do.

jelco wrote:More people? Certainly. More feedback? I don't buy it. (Harhar.) The fact that you pay for it makes people not care enough to report bugs, with the mindset that by paying they've done their part of the deal. Most comments will lack constructivity ("it's broken", "the game doesn't work", "you suck") and the small portion that actually helps you is not significantly bigger than it would be with a closed beta.

You're assuming that only the constructive criticisms are useful, that's not actually true. If you have a lot of uneducated trolls complaining about something, then it's probably worth checking if there's something wrong with it.

Also, you're working on the basis where the proportion of helpful people in a closed beta is significantly larger than in a open one. Personally I seriously doubt it, I recall about a dozen active people in the Multiwinia beta and by the end of it probably about 100 people were in.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:24 am

jelco wrote:If IV needs money, just make it a pre-order and leave it at that.

So... for the cost of the game you can pre-order it, or you can pre-order it and choose to download the alpha. I don't see how pre-order+alpha access is worse than just pre-order.

xander
frenchfrog
level5
level5

Postby frenchfrog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:51 am

PC Gamer - Prison Architect “paid alpha” planned for later this year wrote:The paid alpha will give players the opportunity to pay for a pre-order to get immediate access to the build that Introversion are currently working on.

Looks like the article's title is misleading (Ah! Always trying to catch people into reading the article).

I think this move by IV is not about money but more about building up momentum for the game.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:21 am

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:48 am

Multiplayer? Do you know something about the game that we don't?

Personally, I would much rather they spend what little resources they have developing the game they have in mind, rather than adhering to the (frankly) silly fad that every gamer expects at least some form of multiplayer in pretty much every game.

Either way, they will definitely get my money :D
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:48 pm

I kinda always assumed that it would be multiplayer-based. I thought everyone else did too?

:P
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:04 pm

I can't imagine how the multiplayer would work. How do you envision it?
mred209
level1
level1

Postby mred209 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:24 pm

Actually I can't imagine how multiplayer could ever be the focus. How many other building/management games on this nature are multiplayer focussed? To me it looks like it plays akin to Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius, Theme Hospital, those sorts of games.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:06 pm

Well, Dungeon Keeper had multiplayer, certainly 2 did at any rate. . . .
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:00 am

A bit hesitant because I might not be able to contribute much to the actual debugging, though, if they're asking for money I'll totally pay them to see what they've been working on so far. Even if it is hella buggy.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”