Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:50 am

Aye, that is very interesting. I'm doing a course on cultural communication at the moment and love seeing how that happened in Japan and India. :D

Sengoku and Meiji Japan are really interesting periods and when I've graduated I'll probably spend some time just reading through some of my history books instead of skimming them like I have to for classes. . . .
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:52 pm

xander wrote:EDIT: and Chrome is wrong.
Okay, fine. You're right.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:41 am

Loving this Flaming Lips song just now...found the video...believe it or not it gets really bizarre about 2mins 50sec in....WOLF :!:

Yeah
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:02 am

GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:41 am

My team and I won 2nd place in a regional robotics competition :D which means we get to go to a state competition, where we'll probably get our asses handed to us, like last year. The robots are nothing especially difficult to work with: The kits are made by Lego and are programmed though a drag-and-drop deal. The robot looks something like this:

Nothing spectacular, but hey, 2nd is pretty cool 8)
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:53 pm

so what does it do to get a 2nd place.

anyway watch your back as i'm sure your in John Connors list by now and thats not a christmas list :twisted:
Eating without Tabasco® Sauce is like a computer without a OS.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:13 pm

GreenRock wrote:My team and I won 2nd place in a regional robotics competition :D which means we get to go to a state competition, where we'll probably get our asses handed to us, like last year. The robots are nothing especially difficult to work with: The kits are made by Lego and are programmed though a drag-and-drop deal. The robot looks something like this:

What a coincidence. Just helped my uni run a sort of open-day thing for a select group of schools, involving building NXT robots. They're lots of fun. :D
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:17 pm

GreenRock wrote:My team and I won 2nd place in a regional robotics competition :D which means we get to go to a state competition, where we'll probably get our asses handed to us, like last year. The robots are nothing especially difficult to work with: The kits are made by Lego and are programmed though a drag-and-drop deal. The robot looks something like this:

FLL's cool! :D I'm in my school's FRC team :). I didn't know FLL competitions were already starting... Is it some other competition? Also, how old are you? :o
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:09 am

No. Flippin. Way. My school just started FRC this week. It's our first year, so our teacher's scrambling to get everything ready for us. There's loads of tools, still in their boxes, sitting in his classroom. We have yet to get started on anything, however. FLL had this competition called "Hot Rod"? The entire point was separating red and black checkers, and moving them to corresponding locations. Easier said than done. I was up till 3am the night (morning, I suppose) before the competition, making the final tweaks. Anyways, yes, I do believe my team and I were in an FLL competition.

I'm 17 1/2 :D
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:13 pm

Next time I teach statistics I'm going over to the maths department and borrowing the big jar of red and green marbles they use to teach students about P-values.

Not that i have seen that jar, heard of it or have any reason to believe it exists, other than I can think of no other way to explain the purpose of a p-value?
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Cooper42 wrote:Next time I teach statistics I'm going over to the maths department and borrowing the big jar of red and green marbles they use to teach students about P-values.

Not that i have seen that jar, heard of it or have any reason to believe it exists, other than I can think of no other way to explain the purpose of a p-value?

Where are you teaching statistics, and to what type of student? Also, most math and stats departments now use M&Ms, not marbles. Get the with the times, man!

xander
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:50 pm

GreenRock wrote:I'm 17 1/2 :D
Isn't FLL meant for younger kids? 7th-9th grade-ish? That's how it is here at least :)

GreenRock wrote:No. Flippin. Way. My school just started FRC this week. It's our first year, so our teacher's scrambling to get everything ready for us. There's loads of tools, still in their boxes, sitting in his classroom. We have yet to get started on anything, however.
It's kind of late to start FRC just this week (assuming the intention is to enter this year's competition). There's a lot to learn - how to build the robot is the obvious thing, but there's also how to connect the system components (motors, motor controllers, battery and power distribution, cRIO and its modules, etc), and in my experience the most time needed to learn - programming. FIRST take care of all the communications and backend, but you need to know some programming and problem solving, which is mainly practice. Assuming you'll be using LabView for the programming, I'll be glad to answer any questions you have and help out with any problems. I'm a programmer, but I also know everything there is to know about the system components thing so any questions about those - shoot 'em at me :)

What's your team number? Does your team have a name yet? Either way, best of luck to you all!
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:48 am

NeatNit wrote:Isn't FLL meant for younger kids? 7th-9th grade-ish? That's how it is here at least :)

Yes. But I've heard some colleges, even like MIT, let students tinker around with them just to learn the basics of programming and whatnot.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:07 pm

xander wrote:
Cooper42 wrote:Next time I teach statistics I'm going over to the maths department and borrowing the big jar of red and green marbles they use to teach students about P-values.

Where are you teaching statistics, and to what type of student? Also, most math and stats departments now use M&Ms, not marbles. Get the with the times, man!

xander
Geographers... But not physical geographers, human geographers (of which I am one) so it's a BA course...
We have one person in a class of 60 who has done maths post-16.

Surely the problem with M&Ms is 'lost' samples?
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Zorotama
level5
level5

Postby Zorotama » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:05 pm

I wonder how much times I did posts in this forum.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”