The Next Game title revealed.

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:31 pm

This is going to be awesome! I hope it will be multiplayer were prisoners can choose which prison they want to go, and whoever has most prisoners win!
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:34 pm

All prisoners go to the least security prison, all prisoners escape.

Bad idea Jordy.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm

That's the point! The more freedom you give, the more likely the prisoners are to successfully hatch an escape plan.
Or think of this game with a mechanic ala die2nite, would be great too.

Whatever it is, can't wait to hear the twist in this idea.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:00 pm

So far, the premise of the game sounds like it might be similar to a tower defense game. "Put up a wall to hold prisoners in, and if it's not strong enough put another one behind it." Might even have actual guard towers to shoot escapees.

I hope it's not. I don't at all get the appeal of tower defense games.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Maybe you only design the prison (hence the architect part) and then pray that the builders get it right.

This part here is depressingly similar to my job.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:26 pm

xyzyxx wrote:So far, the premise of the game sounds like it might be similar to a tower defense game. "Put up a wall to hold prisoners in, and if it's not strong enough put another one behind it." Might even have actual guard towers to shoot escapees.

I hope it's not. I don't at all get the appeal of tower defense games.

There gotta be more too it, and I doubt they would go tower defense genre. If this game sucks they die and they now it. My best guess, intriguing, refreshing, new mechanic and a small game.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:21 pm

I have to agree with Jordy, I can't imagine Chris would label anything that in any way represented a tower defence game as inspiration striking him on a plane. I also can't imagine that the rest of Introversion would agree that a TD game was an awesome enough idea to warrant stopping work on Subversion.
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:12 am

I can't see Chris actually putting up something like for IGF 2012. Not unless he thought he did something really, really cool with the genre. Or he had lost the plot.

Replacing Subversion on the other hand... that project needed to stop either way; what people once said would be his magnum opus turned out to be his... uhh... second system, the most dangerous thing a man ever designs.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:17 am

RPS has an interview soon.. can't wait for this. I hope it has multiplayer, please dear god multiplayer!!! Though I doubt it..

Let's start guessing?

Sims meets prison tycoon meets crusader kings?
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:34 am

Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:07 pm

We have been fooled for over a year!!? ..Well, at least it will come out relatively soon and they have some work in.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:51 pm

What could be kinda of interesting is if it was sort of a Dwarf Fortress type of game, where instead of trying to keep people in, you're trying to keep people (or things, like monsters or zombies) out. Thus, while one would normally assume that the "prison" aspect comes from trying to keep people locked inside, the place you are building to stay safe in is effectually you're prison since it's unsafe to leave. Consequently, you have to balance between security to keep the facility safe, but also amenities so that the people inside don't revolt or riot.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Feud wrote:What could be kinda of interesting is if it was sort of a Dwarf Fortress type of game, where instead of trying to keep people in, you're trying to keep people (or things, like monsters or zombies) out. Thus, while one would normally assume that the "prison" aspect comes from trying to keep people locked inside, the place you are building to stay safe in is effectually you're prison since it's unsafe to leave. Consequently, you have to balance between security to keep the facility safe, but also amenities so that the people inside don't revolt or riot.
Sounds like you're forcing big words. Also you have a grammer error so bad I have no idea what you're saying.

I like what you're saying though :P
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Grammar is what I say it is.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:36 pm

Four letters makes a big word?

Anyway, it's fairly safe to assume that Prison Architect will have some Subversion-like qualities, which is to say, it could easily be Subversion-but-only-a-prison. Maybe I'm going a little too far, but given the tech they have developed (and the name "architect"), it's not hard to imagine that you'll be able to (and in fact required to) design and implement every little detail, all the way down to light switches, electrical wiring, door frames, plumbing, etc.

One could even imagine something akin to those pseudo-programming versus games where two people write competing "virus" programs and pit them against each other, only with teams trying to bust each other's prisons.

Maybe I'm being fanciful? This is the sort of idea and mindset Subversion tended to inspire, but obviously restricting the context makes it a lot more achievable in the short term, and gives the game a direction (aka. "gameplay") as well.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”