The Next Game

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
Gemberkoekje
level1
level1

Postby Gemberkoekje » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:26 pm

Respect. It is a thing Klingon Scientists don't get.

Anyway, I can't wait. PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:04 pm

Also, could it be... Chronometer?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Re: The Next Game

Postby Xocrates » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:07 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:Also, could it be... Chronometer?

Chris wrote:This new game is our fifth original game, and is unrelated to any of our previous games, released or not.

Sadly, it doesn't seem like it
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:14 pm

He was making it now but posting about it in the past. It's totally possible. Chronometer can do that.
AaronLee
level0

Postby AaronLee » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Well, not what Iw as expecting. But, now that it's happened, I'm supremely glad it did. Subversion felt a bit too hefty and any idea that strikes introversion like a bolt of lightning and 'turns [things] on their head' is definitely something to look forward to.
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:21 pm

Holy shit.

Let's hope the game that was conceived like Defcon, is as successful as Defcon...

Funny, last time we met you asked if I'd played Uplink, and the answer was, not so much really. More recently I've played it to death. Raw gameplay is where you guys thrive.
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:57 pm

America: land of innovation. :D

Hope to hear more soon!
darthkiwi
level1
level1

Postby darthkiwi » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:25 pm

Ooh. Interesting! I'd been wondering why you guys hadn't updated us in a while; now I know.

While it's sad that Subversion has been shelved, it sounds like you're making the right decision. If the game wasn't going to be the Subversion we all hoped for then it's probably best it not be released, at least not yet. And sometimes you need to take a break from a project which you've got stuck on so that, when you come back to it, you can actually see the wood for the trees.

Plus, any idea that strikes out of the blue and makes you derail everything for it has got to be promising. I'm looking forward to seeing this! :D
Cthulhu fhtagn.
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:27 am

:O
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:07 am

It's a shame that Subversion has been shelved, I was really looking forwards to that. On the other hand, it seems I have something new and probably better to look forwards to!

Now all we have to do is wait for the IGF finals in... MARCH!? Dammit :(
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:28 am

I forgot how awesome the procedural stuff can be as a wallpaper :D

Till MARCH, you say?!?!1 I suppose something this radical ensures the games' badassery, whatever it may become.
SL33TBL1ND
level0

Postby SL33TBL1ND » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:27 am

Dammit. I was really looking forward to Subversion. As in, it was pretty much the only game this year I wanted. Oh well. I hope this new one will fill that void.
WOO! PYTHON!
A small mind is easy to fill.
There is no truth, only words.
Upward climbs to success are fine, but downward spirals to destruction are way more fun.
Tynach
level0

I know I've not posted much here...

Postby Tynach » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:27 am

A while back, on some board, I mentioned I really wanted to type out some of my ideas on alternate universes and whatnot. I half forgot about it, half dreaded it - the intelligence of some of you guys is truly frightening, and I wanted to make sure I could be at my very best when I posted.

Alas, I've learned that waiting never solves anything - and if I come up with some idea I think is brilliant, but that others thinks is obviously moronic, I should treat it as a learning experience to look forward to... Not as something to fear.

However, when I heard about some of the technology being put into Subversion, I was getting ecstatic - it was directly applicable to some of my own video game ideas. You see, I want to eventually become a game developer myself - but I have no clue where to begin right now. That said, I do have solid ideas on what I would do if I were to create my ideal video game. And honestly, it sounds like Subversion has a massive technology base that would be useful.

Hearing that development on that has stopped, I guess I figured I'd go ahead and give at least some of my video game ideas on here, and see if I can possibly persuade you to think about the project a little more before you completely gut the whole thing.

I personally believe there are an infinite number of parallel Universes, and I sorta like to write stories about an "Interdimentional Police" that monitors travel between them, and makes sure that timelines stay more or less intact. The idea is, that when you travel to another Universe, it 'splits' in two - making another alternate Universe that is 'less likely' than the original, with this new one being the one you travel to. Generally, the changes you make before you leave again would be considered fairly minor, and it'd "repair" itself and merge back into the original Universe - creating a sort of 'bubble' dimention. However, if you make significant changes, it could create it's own new branch... And it could be possible to make these changes more probable than the original Universe, thus 'overwriting' it... And damaging the actual timeline.

A note on terminology: I differentiate between "dimension" and "dimention". With the 'T', it means an alternate universe. With the 'S', it means an axis.

Idealy though, if I were to make a video game out of this, it would need a way to create an infinite number of similar but NOT the same Universe. So, perhaps a seed value determining which Universe it is... Positive and negative numbers, the farther away from '0' the seed value is, the more things are changed from the initial 'home' dimention.

And with the idea I read about Subversion creating entire cities and whatnot procedurally, right down to the pen on someone's desk... That sounded PERFECT. I was initially thinking of having a base model of a map, and the seed value just changing a few variables in how things are laid out (positions of benches along a sidewalk in a park, for example), but with the ideas presented in Subversion... Egads. It could get so far off from the 'base' map, that it'd be completely different. ANd hopefully a way to make it slowly and gradually shift into a different setting.

Anyway. Those are my ideas. I guess it's just that I see so many possible NEW game mechanics with your technology, that I find it hard to believe that you're still stuck on figuring out any. I welcome any criticism to my ideas, and especially welcome any ways to further them.

Also, some information on game programming would be nice - but most OpenGL tutorials are either outdated, or hard to follow for me. I'm running on Linux here.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:24 am

Better news than many of us had feared :)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:36 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:Better news than many of us had feared :)

Indeed. I had figured that if no news came out within a few more months, then it probably meant that IV had gone bankrupt.

Return to “Introversion Blog”