Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:53 pm

I haven't used a payphone in years either. In fact, I don't know if they still exist. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:37 pm

steams deal of the day: Multiwinia help those poor IV souls survive and pay their bills :wink:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:02 pm

:shock:

I haven't had any contact with my biological father in 16-17 years (before that it was sketchy), and recently did a brief internet search to see if I could find him. I found an email address for what might be my half sister a week or two ago and finally decided to send something. (the address was from 2010, so I wasn't sure it was even valid) Low and behold, it is her and she sent my info to him. Now I have no idea what to even think... (let alone say if he contacts me)

Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Anyone here run a RAID setup on their desktop?

(I'm upgrading, have got an SSD, but HDD prices are absurdly low and so it's tempting to setup my games destined not to be on the SSDon a RAID)

Does it provide any gaming benefit at all?

I'm not talking about redundancy here, but read speeds - I have an external backup system that works fine (I can't understand how having two HDDs in the same space offers any protection beyond the occasional HDD failure -fire, theft or power surge and they're all gone...)
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Cooper42 wrote:Anyone here run a RAID setup on their desktop?

I have RAID0 2xWD1002FAEX on main PC and 2xWD5000AADS on a server. I doubt it helps on the server though, most likely it even hurts it's performance through lowering OPS but braking it down is too much of an effort.

I doubt RAID0 can help your gaming, since what it does is ~doubling linear reading, which is hardly useful for games. Go for max OPS, which is SSD.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote::shock:

I haven't had any contact with my biological father in 16-17 years (before that it was sketchy), and recently did a brief internet search to see if I could find him. I found an email address for what might be my half sister a week or two ago and finally decided to send something. (the address was from 2010, so I wasn't sure it was even valid) Low and behold, it is her and she sent my info to him. Now I have no idea what to even think... (let alone say if he contacts me)

I'm pretty sure you should see him, even if it doesn't work out, then you'll never have to bang your head against the wall asking yourself.."what if?"
Of course.. you could get disappointed, but, yea, then you might deal with the issue better in the end still.

Whatever you decide though I would take my time for it, don't rush into things and don't do things you don't feel good about.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:30 pm

I received a DVD-R in the mail from a friend supposedly containing pictures from our trip to Spain. I can clearly see that there's stuff on it (holding it towards the light I can see some of it is lighter) but when I put it in a computer (tried two!) it appears blank. Any idea what's going on?

Currently my best guess (which is completely not based on anything, and is just wild guessing) is that they burned it on a Mac in some format which is incompatible with PCs. Like I said, I don't know if that's even possible. I'm completely anti-Mac and will not bother with that CD if that's the case.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:33 pm

If you check the DVD with a DVD-burning-app you might figure some clues. Not like I have any, but thats what I would try first.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 pm

NeatNit wrote:Currently my best guess (which is completely not based on anything, and is just wild guessing) is that they burned it on a Mac in some format which is incompatible with PCs.

That is exceedingly unlikely.

NeatNit wrote:I'm completely anti-Mac and will not bother with that CD if that's the case.

That is a really stupid position to take. It is one thing to not want to use a particular bit of software or hardware, but it is another thing entirely to declare yourself "anti-" whatever it is. That is damn near a religious declaration, and I just don't see the point in bringing religion into one's software and hardware preferences. As I said, it's just stupid.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Weee! Earthquake!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:08 pm

Feud wrote:Weee! Earthquake!

Wendryn and I have a friend out east who happens to be a professional singer. She was performing at the time of the earthquake. Specifically, she was singing the "Confutatis" from Mozart's Requiem. I think it would have been more appropriate if it had been during the "Dies Irea:"

Dies irae, dies illa
Solvet saeclum in favilla,
teste David cum Sibylla.
Quantus tremor est futurus,
quando judex est venturus,
cuncta stricte discussurus!

which translates as

Day of wrath, day of anger
will dissolve the world in ashes,
as foretold by David and the Sibyl.
Great trembling there will be
when the Judge descends from heaven
to examine all things closely.

The music that goes along with the second to last line is suggestive of an earthquake. ;)

xander
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Saw cowboys & aliens today. It was fun and entertaining.
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:17 pm

zjoere wrote:Saw cowboys & aliens today. It was fun and entertaining.

I keep meaning to get to it, but haven't yet. I think it will probably show up on the NetFlix queue at some point. On the plus side, we are going to go see Don't Be Afraid of the Dark this evening. It has the del Toro name on it, which is a good thing, but he isn't directing, which could be a bad thing. Set expectations to "moderate."

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:22 am

Only seen traffic from him, why are you so fond of this guy, or is it more that she is so fond of him, if so, you gotta watch out and not rent too many movies with him in it.. just saying.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:31 am

Cowboys & Aliens was 'meh'. I usually read Rotten Tomatoes summary of any movie before I watch it and found it to be dead on with that movie. Awesome idea, poor execution.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”