Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:52 am

Well, advanced I really mean anything above ehm, something like chance calculation. I really suck at math, but am amazed at the size of the universe and want to learn more about it and find a job that has to do with the universe.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:34 am

Jordy... wrote:Well, advanced I really mean anything above ehm, something like chance calculation. I really suck at math, but am amazed at the size of the universe and want to learn more about it and find a job that has to do with the universe.

Calculations rarely occur in higher mathematics. I haven't had to add two numbers together in years, except by way of instruction.

If you want to do any kind of science, which includes astronomy, you are going to have to get familiar with some concepts from higher mathematics. A couple of semesters of calculus, plus a strong course in probability and statistics will probably be a necessity. It is not so much that you need to learn to perform the calculations (computers do that), but that you need to understand the concepts. For instance, statistics is all about understanding and quantifying how likely it is that a given set of data is random. It is not entirely necessary to master all of the calculations because, again, computers are better at them, but rather that you understand what random data look like and how poor humans are at understanding randomness. You should also be able to read and understand the output given by a computer.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:23 am

This might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_J5rBxeTIk

It's a sing-along guide to the universe.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:15 am

This one is better:

;)

xander
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:16 am

xander wrote:
zjoere wrote:was it worse than lemon party?

Oh, come on. Lemon Party isn't that bad. It's just a picture of a group of men enjoying each other's bodies. While it isn't appropriate for this forum, and I don't have any particular interest in it, at least it isn't smeared with fecal material like Tub Girl.

xander

I was trying to think of something NeatNit would have seen and that was sex-related so I thought of lemon party first. But indeed I've seen much worse things that lemon party.
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:58 pm

xander wrote:
Jordy... wrote:Well, advanced I really mean anything above ehm, something like chance calculation. I really suck at math, but am amazed at the size of the universe and want to learn more about it and find a job that has to do with the universe.

Calculations rarely occur in higher mathematics. I haven't had to add two numbers together in years, except by way of instruction.

If you want to do any kind of science, which includes astronomy, you are going to have to get familiar with some concepts from higher mathematics. A couple of semesters of calculus, plus a strong course in probability and statistics will probably be a necessity. It is not so much that you need to learn to perform the calculations (computers do that), but that you need to understand the concepts. For instance, statistics is all about understanding and quantifying how likely it is that a given set of data is random. It is not entirely necessary to master all of the calculations because, again, computers are better at them, but rather that you understand what random data look like and how poor humans are at understanding randomness. You should also be able to read and understand the output given by a computer.

xander

Thanks. yea that's pretty damn amazing isn't it.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:04 pm

My cat apparently likes my chair and has made it his throne. I can't get him off, no matter what.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:36 pm

Cold water will do the job, although that would make you a cat bully and your chair unsuitable to sit in.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:03 am

I just want all of you to know that I think you are all fucking awesome T-T You guys can make me laugh on a shitty day.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 am

Dude, I know I'm fucking awesome, now get the fuck of the internet and cry. Cause feeling the pain will make you better.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I'm not on any social websites, do not have cell phone, smart phone, or any other such device and have a happy and fulfilling life. :mrgreen:

How can you go along without a cell phone nowadays? Ditching everything would seem to simplify everything, at the cost of not being able to function in society...
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:05 pm

IT's not about ditching, it's about not having to ditch. imo.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:07 pm

GreenRock wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:I'm not on any social websites, do not have cell phone, smart phone, or any other such device and have a happy and fulfilling life. :mrgreen:

How can you go along without a cell phone nowadays? Ditching everything would seem to simplify everything, at the cost of not being able to function in society...

The same way people did before cell phones. ;p
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:38 am

Pay phones and actually being organised? That never worked in the past. Seriously.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:45 am

It can work if everybody else has a cell phone :)

And assuming there are still enough pay phones around.

And around here, there aren't.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”