Any chance of using Steam Play for Mac version of Subversion

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

ZildjianKX
level0

Any chance of using Steam Play for Mac version of Subversion

Postby ZildjianKX » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I'm a big fan of your games, but it really sucks going through Ambrosia to get them for OS X. Any chance of Subversion getting the Steam Play treatment?

Example, I just bought Darwinia+ on XBL, and would love to pick up Darwinia and Multiwinia to play on my Mac also.

Darwinia from Ambrosia: $29
Multiwinia from Ambrosia: $19

Darwina + Multiwinia on Steam: $14.99

Is Ambrosia just your Mac publisher, or do they also handle porting your games to OS X?

Since you guys have embraced Steam so much after financially saving your company, how about fully embracing Steam with Steam Play for your Mac fans?
xander
level5
level5

Re: Any chance of using Steam Play for Mac version of Subver

Postby xander » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:28 pm

ZildjianKX wrote:Is Ambrosia just your Mac publisher, or do they also handle porting your games to OS X?

Ambrosia has helped with the porting in the past, though even this level of involvement has varied from game to game. If I recall correctly, Uplink was originally ported by Contraband Software, then published by Ambrosia. More recent versions of Uplink for Mac were created by a band of rogue developers with the source CD, who convinced Ambrosia to publish their updates. Darwinia was ported by Ambrosia and IV, working together, but Ambrosia handled the beta testing. I think that Defcon was ported by Ambrosia, though, again, with input from IV; and I'm pretty sure that Multiwinia was pretty much done by IV, but, again, Ambrosia handled the beta testing. As to the future, who knows?

xander

EDIT: Boy, you really crafted that subject line carefully, didn't you? Exactly as many characters as is allowed...
prophile
level5
level5

Postby prophile » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:04 am

It's also worth noting that Ambrosia are moving away from being a games publishing company to doing utilities.
mrxak
level1
level1

Postby mrxak » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:07 pm

prophile wrote:It's also worth noting that Ambrosia are moving away from being a games publishing company to doing utilities.

Eh, they still do some games. I rather hope Introversion and Ambrosia bring Subversion to the Mac as they have with previous Introversion games, because I rather hate Steam on the Mac.
-mrxak
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:51 pm

mrxak wrote:
prophile wrote:It's also worth noting that Ambrosia are moving away from being a games publishing company to doing utilities.

Eh, they still do some games. I rather hope Introversion and Ambrosia bring Subversion to the Mac as they have with previous Introversion games, because I rather hate Steam on the Mac.

I don't know, Mazca. When was the last time they published a game that was not for iOS? Looking at the latest releases page, I don't see anything but iOS solitaire games (except for a port of an iOS solitaire game at the top). I don't know of anything in the pipeline, either, though must admit that my interest has waned in recent years, and I don't keep up with the discussion as well as I used to. That being said, Andrew seems pretty well convinced that there is money in utilities, not games, and he seems to be chasing that down.

xander
mrxak
level1
level1

Postby mrxak » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:11 pm

xander wrote:
mrxak wrote:

I don't know, Mazca. When was the last time they published a game that was not for iOS? Looking at the latest releases page, I don't see anything but iOS solitaire games (except for a port of an iOS solitaire game at the top). I don't know of anything in the pipeline, either, though must admit that my interest has waned in recent years, and I don't keep up with the discussion as well as I used to. That being said, Andrew seems pretty well convinced that there is money in utilities, not games, and he seems to be chasing that down.

Last non-iOS game, other than solitaire, was a game that was made by Introversion ;). Game before that was a port from Windows too. I get fuzzy going back any earlier than that.

None of us can predict the future, of course, but I would think the relationship between the two companies is probably pretty good, since Ambrosia helped them bring all of Introversion's games to the Mac so far, and it's probably not too crazy to think that'll keep happening. I for one hope it keeps happening, if for no other reason than small software companies ought to stick together and support each other. I'll certainly play Subversion when it comes out, regardless, but my preference would be "anything but Mac Steam" even if that means BootCamp.
-mrxak
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 pm

I was under the impression Chris had been coding Subversion not to be platform dependent and had already been testing it under Mac without any help from Ambrosia.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:48 pm

mrxak wrote:...but my preference would be "anything but Mac Steam" even if that means BootCamp.

Even if Subversion is released on Mac Steam, there is no reason to believe that it won't be available through other channels, as well. For instance, IV could decide to publish the Mac version themselves, and also have Valve publish via Mac Steam.

xander
Vampyre
level1
level1

I agree

Postby Vampyre » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:19 am

I totally agree with the original question... That's a good one from ZildjianKX. But I can only point to this fact (which I mailed IV and Ambrosia, and was never answered).

I owned two games for my PC. But when my PC crashed, I replaced it with a Mac. I don't want windows to be installed on it via Bootcamp, or with parallels. So... I went to IV store, and I can buy there the anthology (which is interesting for me : I like to support indies, and even if I've already bought two, the bundle pack is interesting for me : 30$ for Defcon, Darwinia, Uplink and Multiwinia.

When I go to Ambrosia to get the versions working for the mac, I get this :

Multiwinia : 19 $
Uplink : 25$
Defcon : 25 $
Darwinia : 29$

That's a total of 98 $

More than 3 times the value... It's a shame that Ambrosia and IV don't have any agreement on the prices... I had mailed both IV and Ambrosia, but never had the chance to get at least an answer.

So, I'm now only waiting eagerly for Subversion, and will buy that one alone...

Knowing how IV and Ambrosia were working together would have helped me understand that situation :-)
xander
level5
level5

Re: I agree

Postby xander » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Vampyre wrote:I went to IV store, and I can buy there the anthology (which is interesting for me : I like to support indies, and even if I've already bought two, the bundle pack is interesting for me : 30$ for Defcon, Darwinia, Uplink and Multiwinia.

You might consider purchasing via Steam. Uplink and Darwinia are currently in beta on MacSteam, and I would imagine that Defcon and Multiwinia are soon to follow.

xander
mrxak
level1
level1

Postby mrxak » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:43 pm

xander wrote:
mrxak wrote:...but my preference would be "anything but Mac Steam" even if that means BootCamp.

Even if Subversion is released on Mac Steam, there is no reason to believe that it won't be available through other channels, as well. For instance, IV could decide to publish the Mac version themselves, and also have Valve publish via Mac Steam.

Well if that ends up being the case, I will buy direct from Introversion.

Montyphy, do you have some kind of link to such information? That would be pretty nice if it was platform agnostic from the start. I hadn't read that anywhere, myself.
-mrxak
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Watch http://vimeo.com/17297917 and notice that he is demoing Subversion natively in Mac OSX. Can't remember where he said it but it was either a video interview/demo or in one of the blogs.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
mrxak
level1
level1

Postby mrxak » Thu May 05, 2011 6:02 pm

Montyphy wrote:Watch http://vimeo.com/17297917 and notice that he is demoing Subversion natively in Mac OSX. Can't remember where he said it but it was either a video interview/demo or in one of the blogs.

Aha, very nice. I had seen that video before but didn't pick up on the OS X. Cool. Well good for them being platform agnostic.
-mrxak

Return to “Subversion”