How to Rob a Bank (This RW Event Reminded me of Subversion)

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

Draco18s
level0

How to Rob a Bank (This RW Event Reminded me of Subversion)

Postby Draco18s » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:24 pm

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas ... lmes-tales

The thieves spent 6 months digging a 100 foot long tunnel from a nearby building, broke through into the safety deposit room, and robbed the place over a holiday (but apparently went out for new years themselves before actually doing the heist on Sunday).

The seismic alarm went off several times, but as the tunnel hadn't reached the bank yet, they were not caught.
The interior alarms went off twice more over the weekend, but the police didn't have keys, so when they showed up they looked in the front doors and "couldn't see anything wrong and left."

The three thieves stole approximately 2 million US dollars worth of stored items from approximately 140 (of 1400) safety deposit boxes.
monkeyman23555
level1
level1

Postby monkeyman23555 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Wouldn't this be more like the movie "The Bank Job"?

Infact its the exact same other than leaving for new years :P
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:02 pm

...a band of thieves tunneled through a 100-foot-hole...

They tunnelled through a hole? :/

Draco18s wrote:The three thieves stole approximately 2 million US dollars worth of stored items from approximately 140 (of 1400) safety deposit boxes.

What's your source for the value of what was taken?

monkeyman23555 wrote:Wouldn't this be more like the movie "The Bank Job"?

Wouldn't this be more like the real life events of the Baker Street robbery that was carried out in the 1970's? The crux of the matter, and the article, is that this is far from an original idea, so much so, the bank was fitted with sensors to help guard against this type of attack. :roll:
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Draco18s
level0

Postby Draco18s » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:46 pm

The $2 million figure was taken from what I heard on NPR. I haven't been able to find a really good article on the web about the robbery.

And while the idea is far from new, its just that it worked out. While the bank had the right sensors, there wasn't anything the cops could do about the fact that there were people in the building.

The point is: tunneling in should be a legitimate vector of attack.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Draco18s wrote:And while the idea is far from new, its just that it worked out. While the bank had the right sensors, there wasn't anything the cops could do about the fact that there were people in the building.

The point is: tunneling in should be a legitimate vector of attack.

I wasn't arguing it was a bad idea. I was replying to monkeyman23555's comment of how this closely relates to a fairly recent film when in fact the idea dates back much further (e.g. Short Circuit 2) and is something that has actually happened before. People taking ideas from films that took ideas from real life, or people just taking ideas from real life? Or people just thinking outside the box? In end, it doesn't matter other than it worked.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
monkeyman23555
level1
level1

Postby monkeyman23555 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Montyphy wrote:
...a band of thieves tunneled through a 100-foot-hole...

They tunnelled through a hole? :/

Draco18s wrote:The three thieves stole approximately 2 million US dollars worth of stored items from approximately 140 (of 1400) safety deposit boxes.

What's your source for the value of what was taken?

monkeyman23555 wrote:Wouldn't this be more like the movie "The Bank Job"?

Wouldn't this be more like the real life events of the Baker Street robbery that was carried out in the 1970's? The crux of the matter, and the article, is that this is far from an original idea, so much so, the bank was fitted with sensors to help guard against this type of attack. :roll:

Yep I guess if you go there :P I forgot that it was based on a real event... (sorry)

Anyways if the point of the entire thread is that something like this would be cool in subversion: I think it would be awesome, however that is rather difficult thing to implement, since it would require you to be able to use the building next to the bank for something and pretty much everything in between them. It might also be boring waiting however long in gametime for your guys to dig a tunnel...
quickdan
level1
level1

Postby quickdan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:38 am

I agree with above post, it would be like "hey team, how goes digging that hole? Oh good you're done" That would be boring. Unless of course it was a minecraft minigame to dig the hole. :wink:
If there were only two games to play in the world, I would choose a text editor and a good C compiler.

Return to “Subversion”