Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:41 pm

Yay! Let's rock it!
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:17 pm

jelco wrote:On a side-note I think the world is hugely overestimating the impact of this whole deal and I predict we will all have forgotten about this in a month,

The media and most people might forget about it that quick, but the political damage that's been done is going to be around for a long, long time.

Edit: Also, rioting is lame. Whenever people riot for lame reasons like tuition hikes, I'm all for sending in the police with tear gas and billy clubs.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:36 pm

Feud wrote:Come on England, you guys still haven't tossed that Wikileaks guy off the Tower Bridge? What's the hold up?
Because a lot of us here love Wikileaks for what they are doing. And would love it even more if they got something from the UK government to leak.

The truth is a crime in an empire built on lies.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Feud wrote:
jelco wrote:On a side-note I think the world is hugely overestimating the impact of this whole deal and I predict we will all have forgotten about this in a month,

The media and most people might forget about it that quick, but the political damage that's been done is going to be around for a long, long time.

Edit: Also, rioting is lame. Whenever people riot for lame reasons like tuition hikes, I'm all for sending in the police with tear gas and billy clubs.
The protests were planned to be peaceful.

London Metropolitan police have consistently been using the tactic known as 'kettling' for some years now. Even for minor, small, unlikely to flare-up protests.

This invloves pinning a large number of people into a small space and not letting them out. Already agitated people get a lot, lot, lot worse in that situation. I've been in it, many times. It is not nice, at all, to arrive somewhere with peaceful intentions and be responded to with police antagonism.

Back when I was a student, the polices' attitude was very different. They saw it as their job to assist in peaceful protest. Now they seem to be doing their upmost to stall any real protest.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:26 pm

Yeah, the police really seem to think that protesters are their enemy, was just watching some footage of the police charging about 15 horses into the crowd, it's getting really crazy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11954333
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:49 am

Feud wrote:Come on England, you guys still haven't tossed that Wikileaks guy off the Tower Bridge? What's the hold up?

He's not a citizen of England or America and hasn't done anything more than any other newspapers who published the documents?

I don't think England's still in the habit of death penalty for sex offences :p
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:22 am

Yeah, I kinda figured that suggesting a grossly disproportionate (and silly) punishment for crimes he's not been convicted of, and which goes against England's "no capital punishment" stance, made it absurd enough that people would realize I wasn't being serious.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:32 am

In Sweden in 2006, according to the Guardian, 4,000 rape cases were reported -- but there were only six convictions, so it will be doubly interesting if Assange gets sentenced (although that'll take a while, considering it took 18 months for a British alleged murderer to be deported to France earlier this month).
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:54 am

Feud wrote:Yeah, I kinda figured that suggesting a grossly disproportionate (and silly) punishment for crimes he's not been convicted of, and which goes against England's "no capital punishment" stance, made it absurd enough that people would realize I wasn't being serious.

Hence the smiley, I guess sarcasm doubly doesn't work on the internet. Makes me wonder why Palin didn't include one when she said Assagne should be pursued like an Al-Qaeda leader.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:48 am

Apparently Sarah Palinsucks at hunting, which amuses me greatly.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:00 am

Feud wrote:Edit: Also, rioting is lame. Whenever people riot for lame reasons like tuition hikes, I'm all for sending in the police with tear gas and billy clubs.

I heard Fox News were reporting the student protests as some kind of Tea Party style uprising which made me laugh.

The rioting is lame but it shouldn't be mistaken for the genuine protest which isn't entirely about tuition fees. The Liberal coalition partner courted the student vote at the election and made a highly puplic pledge to oppose tuition fee increases...now they have a bit of power they are doing a 180 and I suspect it is that betrayal, more than the rise in fees, that is causing most anger.

Of course you are a republican Feud so you're used to your politicians telling lies :wink:
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:05 am

In other news I've been trawling through the multiwinia source code hoping to make it do shiny things.

Occasionally I find such gems as:

Code: Select all

#ifdef THIS_IS_FUCKING_SHIT_AND_IT_ALWAYS_HAS_BEEN

This brightens up my day.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:11 am

After long deliberation the Australian Attorney Generals decision on R18+ video-game ratings is:

Come back in 6 months.

FFFFFFFUU-
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:31 pm

ynbniar wrote:Of course you are a republican Feud so you're used to your politicians telling lies :wink:

Yeah, well, my Congressman (roughly equivalent to one of your MPs) lets me hang out at his house, eat his food, and watch his tv, so it ain't all bad. :wink:

That being said, there's a big difference between telling a lie and making a decision (or taking a stand) about something only to later find out that the information you had wasn't complete or accurate, and then changing your position. Such happens quite often in politics, but people generally just bump it into the "he/she/they lied" category.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:11 pm

If you trully believe that, you're more naive then I thoughed. Politicians are liers, because of that, they know when they are lied too, in short it takes a bullshitter to know a bullshitter and politicians are bullshitters so they know when they get bullshitted so that bullshit excuse you mention is bullshit.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”