Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:02 pm

You're not setting me up are you? ;p I guess I'll have to try it then. Way better alternative then 1 month of hero time in Die2Nite.. fucking bastards.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:30 pm

jelco wrote:Anyone who has yet to find a suitable steering wheel for racing might want to take a second look at Fanatec. Their Turbo S wheel was sold out a couple of months ago but the high demand for a new X360 wheel convinced them to create a new one. While they're at it, they've decided to use the fancier rim of the GT3 RS wheel (with Alcantara). Behold, the new Porsche 911 GT2 wheel.

As with Fanatec's previous products, the quality comes with a price tag to match. If you don't need X360 support you should probably consider the GT3 RS which is a rough 70 bucks cheaper. I'm personally very much against 'normal' Logitech G25/G27 wheels because they feel like cheap toys and I can't stand them anymore since I first got my hands on my 911 Turbo S wheel (mentioned several tens of pages back in this topic I believe) but to be honest they are much kinder to your wallet. :P

Forza 3 gamers should know that Fanatec is the only company that produces wheels compatible to and licensed for the Xbox 360 (outside of Microsoft's own plastic piece of garbage). Believe me, you will want this wheel.

By the way, I mentioned earlier that the Turbo S seems to experience minor glitches in Gran Turismo 5. I decided to give the pedals and H shifter a good cleaning because I had not used it for a while before GT5 came in, including the internals and PCBs. This total disassembly and follow-up reassembly resulted in a lot of dust removed from my gear, plus sand from my pedals (that happens when you don't clean/take off your shoes) and sawdust from my shifter (I happen to DIY a lot in the living room). This seems to have solved most of the glitching and additionally the shifter moves a lot easier and cleaner now. Hence, you are warned - Fanatec's stuff, while being extremely high-quality and very durable, are both pricey and require some occasional maintenance (unless of course you are very careful with it as a form of prevention).

Jelco

Reported as spam. This individual is clearly on Fanatec's payroll. :P
Last edited by Montyphy on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is quite good. If you enjoyed the first two games in the series, this third one is pretty much more of the same, with greatly updated graphics.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Woah, I'd totally forgotten about Golden Sun, never got the 2nd game I must admit, that will probably be difficult to obtain. . . .

Is the third one for the DS or something?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Yup, the first two were for GBA and the new one is for DS.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Gah, payroll ;-;

Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:18 pm

I thought you were a native speaker?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:26 pm

Yes, because if you speak a language natively, this means that you have a complete and perfect knowledge of every single word, as well as its meaning and also its spelling.

xyzyxx wrote:Golden Sun: Dark Dawn is quite good. If you enjoyed the first two games in the series, this third one is pretty much more of the same, with greatly updated graphics.

These lo-fi 3D graphics are a PET PEEVE of mine. The DS can not do them well enough. Didn't like it with Dragon Quest, don't like it in Golden Sun. Thanks to the DS's low resolution, and the even worse texture resolution, any kind of closeup just fails. Not to mention, movement feels strangely imprecise; I'd much rather some good-looking 2D sprites on a grid. Call me old-fashioned but I don't like having to spend ages trying to position myself correctly in order to successfully take a herb from a wooden barrel.

Oh, and it's A HERB, not AN HERB.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it a fair amount. :P
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:51 pm

My opinion is that Dark Dawn accurately mimics the graphical style of the original games, while portraying them in true 3D. I agree that things get ugly when they zoom in (the original games never zoomed in, of course, and in my opinion that should have carried over as well) but for the most part, the game is gorgeous.

I have to agree with you on the finicky movement controls, especially as I'm playing it using a DS Lite, with its traditional rubber-contact control pad.

And indeed, "AN HERB" is correct usage in American English. (The "H" is silent.) Wikipedia agrees.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:10 pm

I guess if you have a strong american accent then the H is silent, but for the rest of the (proper) English-speaking world the H is quite distinguishable.
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:11 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Yes, because if you speak a language natively, this means that you have a complete and perfect knowledge of every single word, as well as its meaning and also its spelling.

That and anyone one who has talked to me via IRC or IM will know that I'm terribly prone to malapropisms and eggcorns. When I post on forums I spend ages proof reading and correcting my posts but still will often fail to notice my mistakes.

xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:17 pm

elexis wrote:I guess if you have a strong american accent then the H is silent, but for the rest of the (proper) English-speaking world the H is quite distinguishable.
Of course, and I assume the Austrlian/European versions will portray the word "Herb" in a way that is consistent with those languages/dialects. The game I'm playing is the American version.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:15 pm

Oi! 1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like An Ugly Baby) has started accepting pre-orders, giving you alpha access and a discount over the final price

Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:48 pm

what is it about?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:57 pm

Going really fast as close as possible to... geometry?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”