Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:37 am

Finally got my XBox accounts back into a state where I can actually buy and play games (long story), so: Limbo time. It's properly great, full of moments of utter brilliance. The best bits are those where you have to figure out what the puzzle is in the first place. Yeah, it's short, but it's very lean on recycling anything. There are lots of cheap and unfair deaths, but the worst punishment for death is that you may have to repeat some previous seconds until you figure out what to do, which I only found slightly annoying about twice. Best original XBLA title so far this year.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Picked up New Vegas today, we'll see how it goes. Been looking forward to it, so hopefully it's fun.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Feud wrote:Picked up New Vegas today, we'll see how it goes. Been looking forward to it, so hopefully it's fun.

Is 3rd person view as bad as Fallout 3?
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:59 am

Blackbeard wrote:
Feud wrote:Picked up New Vegas today, we'll see how it goes. Been looking forward to it, so hopefully it's fun.

Is 3rd person view as bad as Fallout 3?

Never tried it in Fallout 3, so I couldn't tell you.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:12 am

Oh. My god. Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover. Definitely not a fan. Not at all.

Shwart!!
zach
level5
level5

Postby zach » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:57 am

Oh Em Eff Gee
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:34 am

Shwart!! wrote:Oh. My god. Professor Layton/Phoenix Wright crossover. Definitely not a fan. Not at all.

Shwart!!

Oh. My. God.

I hope this will play on DS as well as 3DS.

Also: best ball based game since Katamari
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:59 am

"finished" Super Meat Boy yesterday. Which means I got to the end credits. Around 4000 deaths and counting (it keeps track). Of course, 100% completion is still a looooong way off, and I don't know whether I want to get even close. It's pretty near perfect. The controls work great, even with the analog stick of the 360 pad (I haven't tried the darned d-pad), the only thing really missing is the option to invert the function of the run button. All other small complaints about the controls I had at one point I a) got used to and b) realized fixing them would cause other problems. Like, you need to be already on the ground for the jump button to register; other modern platformers tolerate it if you press the button a couple of frames earlier. That has to be that way because several of the unlockable characters have double jump ability and if Meat Boy gets you used to pressing jump early, you'd trigger double jumps accidentally with the other characters. Same for all other things I found lacking; for example, the levels seem awfully non-interactive at first, but that changes soon enough. The only real complaint left is that the final levels not only get harder, but also longer, with par times in the 40s region. Which means that while you haven't figured out what to do to pass the tough sections in the middle, you have to play the first half of the level over and over again. And the music in that zone gets a tad annoying. It's not 100% fair, you have to make quite a few blind jumps (you don't have to land on tiny platforms you can't see, at least) into areas you need to first get to know before you can traverse them successfully. A way to watch a playback before you finish the level successfully would help a lot there. But that's just me nitpicking.

Get it (as if there was any doubt before). Not convinced? Watch this (some spoilers). If I made to to the regular end, so can you. According to Team Meat, the 360 version is to be preferred over the Wii, probably for the extra levels and the higher overall fidelity, and it's on a discount currently. The PC version will probably be at least on par with the 360; you can fix the run invert function yourself, for starters. Minecraft Guy has just been announced as one of the unlockables. I personally really don't want to see what abominations will be created with the level editor, in that "but I'd look anyway" way.

And yeah, it's going to make you scream. You probably should play it gagged up with your gimp mask on if you don't want to scare the neighbors. At several points, it's going to make you think "Hey, this isn't too hard, I barely got killed 10 times on that level. And beat the par time by several seconds! In fact, it's getting too easy!" Resist. It's reading your mind. It has some extra nasty levels in back storage to throw at you next instead of the regular ones. I'm convinced it has.

I'm not revoking the title I gave to Limbo in the last post. It's now shared with SMB. Only if the 'you can buy one game per year' restriction is not just hypothetical for you, you should lean towards SMB, it simply lasts you longer.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:35 pm

Telltale's Back to the Future game is up for Pre-order. Pre-order bonus is Puzzle Agent (which can be giftable, provided you tick the box in the cart).

Also, you can use Poker at the Inventory 25% discount (which should cover the price of the extra game and still get a couple bucks off)

In a not completely unrelated note, I have puzzle agent to offer. Who's interested?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:10 am

So, just finished playing through Deathspank.

It's a neat little game. A sort of Diablo lite with a hint of adventure game (meaning essentially a lot more dialogue).

Probably my main complain would be that I didn't quite like the combat. It felt challenging mostly because of how limiting it was, and fighting crowds was often a pain (depending on whether or not my spinning blades were charged). It was functional and had some neat tricks, but a little more depth or flexibility would have been nice.
Some quest chains sometime also stretched their welcome (I'm looking at you, Talking Tree)

That said, it had neat visuals and I enjoyed the bizarre sense of humour.

Though the game failed to register the achievement for beating the final boss, and since the game works on an autosave system my only option would be to play through it again, meaning the Steam is currently taunting me with a 11/12 on the achievement list :(
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:11 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:You probably should play it gagged up with your gimp mask on

This was the very first sentence that leaped out at me.

I don't have the courage to read the rest. But I'll buy the game, I promise!
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Bloody Good Time is just 5 dollars, you guys should pick it up.

It much like The Ship, so if you enjoyed that you'll enjoy BGT. It's a different online FPS than what most of us are used to, that's for sure. Sadly there are only 3 maps, but I still enjoy myself in this game. It's sad to hearabout Outerlight and I hope they can recover. They've made some great stuff.

Been playing New Vegas as well, and I have loved every second. A bit buggy, yes, but still very enjoyable. Main quest was kinda short, but there are plenty of side quests to do to make up for it. The game certainly warrants many playthroughs, due to the many factions in the game (you can't please all of them in one playthrough).

Sophie Houlden (GirlFlash, creator of many free games) has put her new game on pre-order (with beta-access) called Lottie's Dungeon
http://witch.sophiehoulden.com/

It's kinda like egoboo, but playable and fun (but not for linux, sadly). On sale now for £1.25 but as she develops the game she's going to slowly crank up the price. It plays a lot like an action rpg, much like Diablo or Torchlight. A bit simplified and far from finished, it looks promising and for 2 dollars, it's a steal. Mainly bought it to support her, she's made some great games in the past. And all for free: http://www.sophiehoulden.com/games/

Did anyone mention Super Crate Box yet? Simple, fun, and super addictive game. And free.
http://www.supercratebox.com/

And for us PC/Mac folks Super Meat Boy will be released on the last week of November. Can't wait :twisted:
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:39 pm

Given my experience with the original Fallout 3, and from reports that I've heard, I think I'm actually gonna wait for the inevitable GOTY edition of New Vegas. That way I get a comparatively hitch-free experience with a bunch of (hopefully) awesome DLC thrown in, and I don't have to mess up my save and its internal narrative by adding DLC randomly half-way through.

(Plus, I can't really afford it :( )
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:47 am

6 more days till Call of Duty Black Ops!!!!!!

(yes, i am a cod fanboy :) )
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:10 am

With that Halo avatar i would never have guessed :P

Return to “Introversion Lounge”