Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:26 pm

RabidZombie wrote:Was it not implied the free DLC for the 360 would just be usermade levels from the PC version?
No, not quite. One or several chapters of the XBox content would be combined user made levels from the PC, but most would be whatever the devs would come up with themselves after release. Of course, what's to stop players from recreating the exclusive levels in the editor? Copyright laws? Yeah, right :) Missing features, maybe.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:56 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
RabidZombie wrote:Was it not implied the free DLC for the 360 would just be usermade levels from the PC version?
No, not quite. One or several chapters of the XBox content would be combined user made levels from the PC, but most would be whatever the devs would come up with themselves after release. Of course, what's to stop players from recreating the exclusive levels in the editor? Copyright laws? Yeah, right :) Missing features, maybe.

Ah! My bad.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:03 pm

Skull of the Shogun, seems promising RTS game for early 2011, google it!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Jordy... wrote:Skull of the Shogun, seems promising RTS game for early 2011, google it!

Hum... except it's turn based, and therefore not an RTS
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:18 pm

whatever, it seems cool
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:14 am

Jordy... wrote:Skull of the Shogun, seems promising RTS game for early 2011, google it!

Looks nice. I read about this > http://www.puppygames.net/revenge-of-the-titans/ in Edge. Something about it tickles my fancy :P .
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:45 pm

I've been playing "Alien Breed (1): Impact" the past days. Given the right approach, it's OK. The shooting is really good and the weapons feel right, and target priorization is important. Especially if you're under time constraints, things can get pretty tense and fun. And the upgrade system is neat.

However: there rarely are time constraints. Sure, the mission introduction urges you to hurry, but that's the usual to-be-ignored exposition, you can take your sweet time. In the old AB games, you had a constant pressure: aliens were permanently spawning (or rather, crawling out of the floor) around you; if you stopped moving, you ran out of ammo quickly. Not so here. Only once so far (almost done with level 3), a sub-objective in a level was on a timer, and aliens spawn in strictly limited numbers. I suppose the total mission completion times count for the online leaderboards, but I don't care about them. Which is all sad, because other elements of the reboot are designed specifically to work only when you feel pressured for time: you can explore corridors off the direct path, and rummaging through lockers and ripping valuables off corpses both take some time during which you can't defend yourself (you can abort, but the timer starts anew as soon as you continue). Without external pressure, that time is just your time that gets wasted and isn't meaningful for the gameplay.

Then there's the story and the missions. The story presentation starts well enough, with a voiced comic showing enough to get you interested, but also leaving some mysteries. In the game itself, you can then access logs (right away) that immediately destroy the mystery. And the missions are just horrible excuses to send you around the ship and plain nonsense. Example: There is a door that won't open. You're told to go to a diagnosis console. You do, it tells you the door is broken and that the automatic repair system will provide you with spare parts. You have to pick up the parts on the other side of the ship, naturally. You go there to find a slowly moving conveyor belt. You're told you need to stop the conveyor belt, but not why; the control console is another three screens and rooms away. You go there and press some buttons, but there's a malfunction and it fails. Plan B is to *destroy* the *three* power generators that power the conveyor belt. Apparently, no emergency shutdown buttons on this ship, I wonder whether it complies with Galactic Safety Regulations. So you pick up some explosives you walked by earlier (no 'oh look explosives, bet they'll come in handy later' prompt then), blow up a door (no, you can't just use them to blow up the broken door you are trying to repair the whole time) and the three generators that look dimensioned for a Death Star tractor beam and positioned nowhere near either the console or the belt, then go to the stopped conveyor belt and fetch the spare parts from it. Yes, Mr. Buff Space Marine, who according to the logs is also a Super Genius, couldn't pick them up from a moving conveyor belt. Maybe that is against Galactic Safety Regulations. Anyway, then you finally go back and fix the door.

Look, Team 17: I bought this game to run around samey corridors and shoot aliens. I don't need a contrived series of excuses to do and enjoy that. The levels are built from recycled parts anyway; was it really so hard to just build bigger levels and let me run around in those? I can accept a certain density of nonsense in my videogames. It's fine that I find logs, describing the different alien species, even though it's a mystery who could possibly have written them and lost them there. It's fine that the elevator that arrives on level 2 from below is on the other side of the ship to the one going further up. It's fine that the Intex Terminals want me to pay them with stolen cash before they hand out the tools I need to do my job. Of course I can carry five guns the size of a bus with enough ammunition to eradicate a small planet all at once. But AB:I's mission structure is overstraining my suspension of disbelief, and with that the whole fantasy collapses. The game would be better without it.

There. Writing that mainly so I can enjoy the rest of the game, mentally replacing the inane plot with... oh, dunno yet. "The ship's scanners picked up another chocolate bar some poor dead guy dropped! Follow the marker to gobble it up." sounds about right.

By the way, Dead Space is doing similar things in its missions, but with crucial differences:
1. They only send you to a destination, then back once, and not on wild goose chases.
2. The activities you need to perform are more varied than 'stand here, hold A for two seconds', so they are things to look forward to.
3. It makes some bloody sense. (On the SF TV show level, at least.)

Also, WTF? We Euros only get Kirby in 2011? Why?
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:13 pm

Don't know if it has been mentioned anywhere yet - and even if it hasn't, it shouldn't really need mentioning as it's a kind of tautological statement - but Sonic 4 is really, really fucking awful.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:31 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Sonic 4 is really, really fucking awful.

I also heard that's it's really really good and that's it's "meh". Meaning that I still have no idea how good or not the game is.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:06 pm

I like it. ;-;

The physics is fucking insane at first but now it's just exploitable and IT is MY bitch now. Seventh Chaos Emerald is going to be fun to get, I only have Mad Gear and Lost Labyrinth acts available to me now and I've become obsessed with doing any given level in one take.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:51 pm

It's in a tough spot. It looks like it is pretty much exactly like the earlier Sonics, which is what people wanted. However, it's also pretty much exactly the same as the earlier Sonics, which people either already played or find hard to warm up to. Me, I never played them back when they were hot, and today, well, when Sonic is slow, he is kind of sluggish and not really Sonic, and when he's fast, things appear on screen way faster than I can react to them. I can play them and enjoy them, but I don't get what's so great. My personal guess is that Sonic 4 is all right if you liked the old ones and want more of the same and bits of the old stuff carbon copied again, just in higher resolutions.

I finished that Alien Breed thing now with the new attitude. It's OK, but I'd wait for the third (supposing it's a trilogy, like Sonic 4) episode and get that when it's cheap. I'll probably do the same. The action is a tad too repetitive to be tolerated stretched out over three episodes.
My new attitude got me killed twice (my only two deaths after the last writings) in combination with the game not properly telling me about the situation, by the way, and I'm blaming the game. It changed rules without informing me properly. On the plus side, there was one actual puzzle and a couple of switches were in positions that made sense.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:13 am

The physics, I just can't get used to them. Everything else is actually pretty good - aesthetically I think they've tiptoed along the line fairly well, and even the level design is not bad - but Sonic has NO MOMENTUM. This is therefore not a Sonic game. If you're running at top speed, and you jump, then you let go of the D-pad, you should not come to an almost complete stop.

Also, as well as the XBLA version, I've tried the iPhone version. Ouch. I'm pretty sure I've glitched through walls and curves...and they should have made it 3GS and up - because it just doesn't run well enough on a 3G.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:27 am

Shiny.. you really go out finding your own food?!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:34 pm

shinygerbil wrote:but Sonic has NO MOMENTUM. [...] If you're running at top speed, and you jump, then you let go of the D-pad, you should not come to an almost complete stop..
And maybe it's the Metroid Prime player in me but I thought that boosting would have been more effective at climbing the gigantic wall than simply holding right on the D-pad for a very long time.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:03 pm

Yeah, Sonic 4 is pretty terrible. I stuck it out through the first 2 zones in the (obviously vain) hope that I would warm up to it, but then I just dropped it. I dunno what that blue thing they have running around on the screen is, but it's not Sonic.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”