Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:32 am

xander wrote:I really, really enjoyed New Super Mario Brothers on the Wii. As a single player game, it played very much like SMB 3/World, which is, honestly, all I could ask for. Now if only someone could put together a Sonic the Hedgehog game that played like the side-scrolling platformers of the Genesis era, I could die happy.

xander

Project Needlemouse.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12 am

Xocrates wrote:Maybe it's just the fact that I dislike trial and error instant death gameplay, but what's so good about it exactly?

I had not heard of it before today, and the demo didn't do much to impress me.

Yeah I'd say that's why you don't like it. I like that it's pretty difficult at times but not frustrating since Checkpoints are scattered everywhere and you don't have a set amount of lives. I liked the challenges, and the level designs. I haven't played a platformer that has a gravity switch mechanic as the core of it's gameplay so it feels new and unique (even when it really isn't) The music isn't bad either, I constantly get their songs stuck in my head.

Sorta like other platformers such as the jumper series, moneyseize and meatboy.

read some of the reviews and you'll get a better picture. the edge review is pretty good at explaining it: http://www.edge-online.com/features/review-vvvvvv
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Icepick wrote:Project Needlemouse.
Which we know nearly nothing about other than it will be 2D. I hear Sonic Rush was pretty good though.

allen wrote:read some of the reviews and you'll get a better picture.
Actually, that edge review didn't told me anything I couldn't really gather from the demo. I guess it just means it's not a game for me.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:28 pm

My flatmate got a wii on monday with NSMB. I'd played it on a girlfriend's DS a while back, and it was excellent. The Wii version is similarly 101 shades of brilliance. But, yes, co-op is lacking in, well, cooperative play...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:40 pm

Heads up! Strong Bad Ep. 5 is free if you get it today! http://www.telltalegames.com/trogday
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:47 pm

Ugh, no thanks... :roll:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:09 pm

I remember being blown away by AvP back in the day...

Ten years later it pops up on Steam, ugh, game hasn't aged too well. :(
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:18 am

I don't know if someone has posted this before, but the IGF 2010 finalists have been decided.

Feud, thanks for reminding me. I've wanted to replay it for quite a while. Pity the steam version doesn't support multiplayer. That could be fun.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:34 pm

Phelanpt wrote:I don't know if someone has posted this before, but the IGF 2010 finalists have been decided.

Yep. Page 70 ;) Done so on the day of the announcement.

You need to check back more often :P
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:11 pm

jelco wrote:Decided to buy The Darkness as it was 8 euros second-hand in the local shop. Also got Worms on PSN (it might not be the kind of game you'd want to play on the PS3 of all things but it plays surprisingly well and the party value is worth the 10 bucks). I have some credit left and am now torn between Pixeljunk Shooter and Bionic Commando Rearmed. Any advice?

Jelco

I played BCR on PC and it was fun...haven't played Pixeljunk Shooter...if you have some credits left though I'd recommend Flower...
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:22 pm

Pixel Junk Shooter is great fun, especially if you have a friend to play with. I played through the whole thing with my brother co-op and it's both tense and easy to play at the same time. Heartily recommended. Be warned that it is short though.

Haven't played BCR. Oh, and yes Flower is awesome.

As a side note I am leaning towards getting Solium Infernum but the price tag sadly puts it beyond impulse buy. Anyway played it, have it, would be interested in playing it with me?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:44 pm

vanarbulax wrote:As a side note I am leaning towards getting Solium Infernum but the price tag sadly puts it beyond impulse buy. Anyway played it, have it, would be interested in playing it with me?
Colour me tempted, but yeah, the price for that kind of game is a tad high. Maybe we should do an IV demo game?
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Xocrates wrote:
Phelanpt wrote:I don't know if someone has posted this before, but the IGF 2010 finalists have been decided.

Yep. Page 70 ;) Done so on the day of the announcement.

You need to check back more often :P

Heh, when I got back I read from where I last was. Or so I thought.
Apparently started from page 71 when I should have started from page 69. :P
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:50 pm

Phelanpt wrote:Apparently started from page 71 when I should have started from page 69. :P

You should always start from page 69.

xander
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:33 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:
vanarbulax wrote:As a side note I am leaning towards getting Solium Infernum but the price tag sadly puts it beyond impulse buy. Anyway played it, have it, would be interested in playing it with me?
Colour me tempted, but yeah, the price for that kind of game is a tad high. Maybe we should do an IV demo game?

:( Apparently the demo only has hotseat multiplayer, no play by email.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”