Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 pm

rFactor 2 is another one I'm looking forward to in 2010. Hopefully the price of Logitech G27 will come down in price by then.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Crayon Physics Deluxe rocks!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Feud wrote:Crayon Physics Deluxe rocks!

I believe I had noted that one year ago ;)

But indeed, CPD rocks.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:50 pm

Especially when its that cheap!
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:52 pm

Had a go with the demo of The Darkness on the PS3. In summary: when you've got everything worked out, it's pretty entertaining. However, it should be said that almost every element, when first introduced to the game, causes confusion. The aiming with the guns was weird because neither of the two pistols you start out wielding fires in the direction of your crosshair. The element which allows you to perform special kills when you're up close to enemies is nice, but it's confusing when it first happens, the animations can't be cut off when you accidentally perform them (which is desirable as they take long so if you do it in plain sight you're an easy target) and they're hard to pull off on purpose because apparently the game is very schizophrenic about your distance from the enemy and the aiming accuracy needed. The first time you can spawn a Darkling (you know, the things that inspired Yahtzee's famous imp) it's not properly explained and when you do finally accidentally spawn one he runs off in a different direction from where the game initially seemed to point you. The crawling around with your snake arm is very hard to control once you add the third dimension and you can't simply retract it a bit if you went wrong (you have to turn around and go forward or retract all the way and start all over). The whip has no sense of direction and goes everywhere except the point you're aiming at. The concept of when/where portals appear is never explained (I blame it on the here's-a-gun-and-have-fun mentality of demoes of the past few years) but you do rely on them quite often. And finally the puzzle that was about destroying a stash of money involved a bolted door that could only be circumvented through an almost impossible-to-see air vent that was a five-minute walk away from the actual door and a jerrycan that was located in a different building entirely which didn't serve any purpose besides housing that very jerrycan. When you figure it out the frustration wears off but you need extreme patience if you want to solve this kind of puzzles that are less logical than those found in your average LucasArts adventure game.

However, overall I think the game might be enjoyable, it's just that it doesn't seem like a lot of effort was put into making the demo promotional (i.e. making you want to buy the game). And yes, that is exactly what Yahtzee said in his item on this demo (well, it's probably a different demo as his descriptions don't match the one I played) and I hereby confirm everything he said about it. In any case, it might be worth buying now that it has a lower price, but definitely wouldn't have convinced me to buy it for the full price when it was released.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:32 am

VVVVVV is out and it's incredible, it's a gravity switch platformer (pretty hard at times) when you can't jump, only switch gravity.

http://thelettervsixtim.es/

mac and windows now, linux version later.

meanwhile theres a demo on the site and kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCa ... vvvvv-demo

As a side bonus there's these trinkets hidden around various areas and if you pick them up you get extra game modes. I'm up to trinket 16 and the last 4 are incredibly hard/almost impossible.

ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:09 pm

allen wrote:VVVVVV is out and it's incredible,

Not sure I'd go as far as to say incredible but it's very good, Manic Miner on speed...loving the music.

£9 :shock: ... OK Terry take my money see if I care :!:
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:26 pm

allen wrote:VVVVVV is out and it's incredible

Maybe it's just the fact that I dislike trial and error instant death gameplay, but what's so good about it exactly?

I had not heard of it before today, and the demo didn't do much to impress me.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:51 pm

The wife says New Super Mario Bros Wii is good, but not quite as good as Splosion Man. The new expert has spoken. And I have to agree somewhat. In coop mode, you can try advanced combined moves like picking each other up and giving jump boosts, but more ofthen than that, you just get in each other's way. Or kill your partner by:
- accidentally nudging koopa shells in her direction
- occupying the space she just wanted to jump on
- launching her into an enemy projectile
- being forced to move on with her staying behind
And, well, you don't need to cooperate at all. It's perfectly possible to play the two player coop alone with two wiimotes for profit (that is, not having to start a level over, ever). In Splosion Man, you had to cooperate and work with skill differences. Here, I'm afraid it'll go down to me playing and my wife just coming along, trying not to die too often. I'll have to try and get her to jump on things.
The rest of the game? Well, you already know it's 95% recycled elements from Super Mario (World/3), which is fine by me. Controls work well and are simplified relative to World.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 pm

It seems to me to be pretty much identical to NSMB for the DS - which was fantastic for a DS game, but not really good enough for a full Wii game somehow. (Not really sure that logic is sound - but that's pretty much my opinion of it.) Looks pretty though.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:02 am

I really, really enjoyed New Super Mario Brothers on the Wii. As a single player game, it played very much like SMB 3/World, which is, honestly, all I could ask for. Now if only someone could put together a Sonic the Hedgehog game that played like the side-scrolling platformers of the Genesis era, I could die happy.

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 am

shinygerbil: I heard that criticism before, and I don't really quite get it :) A game is a game and unless you're neglecting platform requirements (like, on mobiles, the ability to save anytime, even if it's just a load-once-only save. I do hate it when devs forget about that.), what does it matter? Well, of course, if you have played NSMB on the DS, then I can understand how the Wii version could be redundant, depending on how far the similarities go. I haven't, though, still perfectly happy with my GBA and the backlog there. And yeah, if you haven't played the old games yet, they offer more bang for the buck (assuming you go with the VC version) and haven't aged too badly. Hell, with all that retro stuff floating about (see: VVVVVVVVV), they'd pass perfectly as fresh releases. Probably get bashed for trying too hard with special effects and not being retro enough, though :)
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:32 am

xander wrote:I really, really enjoyed New Super Mario Brothers on the Wii. As a single player game, it played very much like SMB 3/World, which is, honestly, all I could ask for. Now if only someone could put together a Sonic the Hedgehog game that played like the side-scrolling platformers of the Genesis era, I could die happy.

xander

Project Needlemouse.
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12 am

Xocrates wrote:Maybe it's just the fact that I dislike trial and error instant death gameplay, but what's so good about it exactly?

I had not heard of it before today, and the demo didn't do much to impress me.

Yeah I'd say that's why you don't like it. I like that it's pretty difficult at times but not frustrating since Checkpoints are scattered everywhere and you don't have a set amount of lives. I liked the challenges, and the level designs. I haven't played a platformer that has a gravity switch mechanic as the core of it's gameplay so it feels new and unique (even when it really isn't) The music isn't bad either, I constantly get their songs stuck in my head.

Sorta like other platformers such as the jumper series, moneyseize and meatboy.

read some of the reviews and you'll get a better picture. the edge review is pretty good at explaining it: http://www.edge-online.com/features/review-vvvvvv
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:57 pm

Icepick wrote:Project Needlemouse.
Which we know nearly nothing about other than it will be 2D. I hear Sonic Rush was pretty good though.

allen wrote:read some of the reviews and you'll get a better picture.
Actually, that edge review didn't told me anything I couldn't really gather from the demo. I guess it just means it's not a game for me.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”