Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:21 am

Icepick wrote:Also, Bayonetta and Darksiders today! Rejoice!
I did rejoice muchly (right after rejoicing my bothering to get a 360) and then I got my ass handed to me. Repeatedly. Three times by Fortitudo. And a million and one times by Grace and Glory. Bayonetta's absurdly powerful and all, but she's total glass cannon in my unskilled hands.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:26 pm

Crayon Physics Deluxe is running a "pay what you want" sale till the 15ht, definitely worth it!

http://www.crayonphysics.com/
Icepick
level5
level5

Postby Icepick » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:
Icepick wrote:Also, Bayonetta and Darksiders today! Rejoice!
I did rejoice muchly (right after rejoicing my bothering to get a 360) and then I got my ass handed to me. Repeatedly. Three times by Fortitudo. And a million and one times by Grace and Glory. Bayonetta's absurdly powerful and all, but she's total glass cannon in my unskilled hands.

Yeah it's a pretty tough game all the way through even on Normal difficulty. I finished it a little while ago and I only got a Bronze or higher award on like 4 of the levels, everything else was just stone. I tried hard mode for about 5 minutes, and ended up dying 3 times on the first section of the Prologue. Very cool game, but the difficulty is frustrating at times.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 pm

Feud wrote:Crayon Physics Deluxe is running a "pay what you want" sale till the 15ht, definitely worth it!

http://www.crayonphysics.com/
Having only about $2 left on my prepaid I got it. :D

Another game to add to the backlog! :roll: :)
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:17 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Crayon Physics Deluxe rocks!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Feud wrote:Crayon Physics Deluxe rocks!

I believe I had noted that one year ago ;)

But indeed, CPD rocks.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:50 pm

Especially when its that cheap!
allen
level3
level3

Postby allen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:32 am

VVVVVV is out and it's incredible, it's a gravity switch platformer (pretty hard at times) when you can't jump, only switch gravity.

http://thelettervsixtim.es/

mac and windows now, linux version later.

meanwhile theres a demo on the site and kongregate: http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCa ... vvvvv-demo

As a side bonus there's these trinkets hidden around various areas and if you pick them up you get extra game modes. I'm up to trinket 16 and the last 4 are incredibly hard/almost impossible.

ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:09 pm

allen wrote:VVVVVV is out and it's incredible,

Not sure I'd go as far as to say incredible but it's very good, Manic Miner on speed...loving the music.

£9 :shock: ... OK Terry take my money see if I care :!:
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:26 pm

allen wrote:VVVVVV is out and it's incredible

Maybe it's just the fact that I dislike trial and error instant death gameplay, but what's so good about it exactly?

I had not heard of it before today, and the demo didn't do much to impress me.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:51 pm

The wife says New Super Mario Bros Wii is good, but not quite as good as Splosion Man. The new expert has spoken. And I have to agree somewhat. In coop mode, you can try advanced combined moves like picking each other up and giving jump boosts, but more ofthen than that, you just get in each other's way. Or kill your partner by:
- accidentally nudging koopa shells in her direction
- occupying the space she just wanted to jump on
- launching her into an enemy projectile
- being forced to move on with her staying behind
And, well, you don't need to cooperate at all. It's perfectly possible to play the two player coop alone with two wiimotes for profit (that is, not having to start a level over, ever). In Splosion Man, you had to cooperate and work with skill differences. Here, I'm afraid it'll go down to me playing and my wife just coming along, trying not to die too often. I'll have to try and get her to jump on things.
The rest of the game? Well, you already know it's 95% recycled elements from Super Mario (World/3), which is fine by me. Controls work well and are simplified relative to World.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 pm

It seems to me to be pretty much identical to NSMB for the DS - which was fantastic for a DS game, but not really good enough for a full Wii game somehow. (Not really sure that logic is sound - but that's pretty much my opinion of it.) Looks pretty though.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:02 am

I really, really enjoyed New Super Mario Brothers on the Wii. As a single player game, it played very much like SMB 3/World, which is, honestly, all I could ask for. Now if only someone could put together a Sonic the Hedgehog game that played like the side-scrolling platformers of the Genesis era, I could die happy.

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 am

shinygerbil: I heard that criticism before, and I don't really quite get it :) A game is a game and unless you're neglecting platform requirements (like, on mobiles, the ability to save anytime, even if it's just a load-once-only save. I do hate it when devs forget about that.), what does it matter? Well, of course, if you have played NSMB on the DS, then I can understand how the Wii version could be redundant, depending on how far the similarities go. I haven't, though, still perfectly happy with my GBA and the backlog there. And yeah, if you haven't played the old games yet, they offer more bang for the buck (assuming you go with the VC version) and haven't aged too badly. Hell, with all that retro stuff floating about (see: VVVVVVVVV), they'd pass perfectly as fresh releases. Probably get bashed for trying too hard with special effects and not being retro enough, though :)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”