Games for 2009... And BEYOND!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:34 am

Feud wrote:...SHIV...

like this?

xander
[size=0]Yes, I got the actual meaning from context, but I am attempting to be humorous.[/size]
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:43 am

Exactly like that!
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:16 am

I played SHII back in the day. It was abysmal. Hard to believe they stuck around long enough to make another three...

Shwart!!
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:38 am

Two was the low point of the series, III got back to the roots and is generally seen as the best one all around (resulting in strong sales), and IV did well since it was a lot like III but with better graphics and from the American side of things.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:45 pm

IGF finalists announced.

I'm going to take a look and report back with my predictions.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:09 pm

Reading through that, Super Meat Boy and Monaco sound like things to look forward to.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:35 pm

It seems an difficult year to predict. The fact that very few of those games have any kind of demo or playable version out doesn't help.

Anyway, for the grand prize I would say probably Super Meat Boy, although Monaco and Trauma may have good chances.

Other games that I might be interested in, I would say Shank, Owlboy, Miegakure, and Tuning.
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:47 pm

I really want Super Meat Boy already.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 pm

jelco wrote:One of my housemates returned last weekend from the Christmas holids, taking his brand new PS3
Jelco

Get your housemate to get Uncharted 2...it's fab... :)
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:27 pm

Heretic! Brutal Legend is the best game evar! You just don't get it!

Slightly more serious, yeah, it does have its flaws. But I object to some of your points. The controls aren't any more cluttered than any other game I played recently. Sure, every button and pad on the controller has a function, but that's the curse of those blasted things with two many buttons and gizmos. And no, you're not supposed to run and give orders at the same time. In fact, you're not supposed to give too many orders at all. The maps aren't that twisted, there's hardly any need for army splitting finesse, and mostly, your units act sensibly on their own (the cases where they don't don't matter much in single player.) Just plant the rally flag where the main battle is and keep spawning. Regarding being able to do something while a previous animation hasn't finished: it's called cancelling and a regular feature in fighting games :) At least, the instances of it I know of. Like being able to roll/dodge while a special combo attack is still in its after-effect animation. Dunno about not being able to do something new while the last action seems finished. Can you give an example? Music covering dialog? Umm, just mess with the individual volume sliders, I do that in every game that is smart enough to include such a feature (curse on Wallace&Gromit there). The framerate seems to be mostly a PS3 thing. The 360 version has its fair share, too, but it's nowhere near as bad as in GTA4, and mostly happens when content needs to be streamed in while exploring the world (and I guess there's the problem, on the PS3, that data comes from the relatively slow BlueRay and on the 360 from the HD, for me at least) and not when it matters.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:59 pm

FINALLY!!!

http://backloggery.com

I really needed something like this... :o
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:16 pm

jelco wrote:in my case they kept doing stupid suicide runs because for some reason they always managed to start their attack the moment the enemy kicks them dead.
Humm, which units were that? Of course, they act sensibly within the limits of their abilities, and they always attack if they see an opportunity and have nothing else to do, even if it's suicide (like, headbangers vs. metal beasts). There are subtle differences in that depending on whether they have just been spawned and ran to the rally flag, have been ordered to move to a spot, and have been ordered to guard a specific spot, of course, but it all amounts to 'if enemy in aggro range, attack'.

jelco wrote:I probably put it wrong, but it's not just the music. In scenes where lots of your soldiers are shouting at each other (or you) it's impossible to make out Eddie's own voice and this cannot be adjusted with the sliders (since it all falls under Voice).
Odd, never saw this as much of a problem. The mumbling of the units should usually be toned down. Of course, there were severe audio problems on the original PS3 build. They were immediately patched, but returned recently, some people report. Could be that.

And, umm, 5 FPS? Really? Never saw it getting close to that. Regular framerate here is 30 FPS and it never drops below that for more than half a second, during which time it can be quite irregular and annoying (especially if you're just playing a solo at that time), but I don't think even the worst frames were more than 100 ms apart. I am quite sensitive to issues like that :) And I've seen recordings of PS3 game sessions, they don't look worse. Maybe your copy/ps3 is slightly defective? Or were you playing online games? Lag can be bad and cause extreme stuttering (doubly annoying, because while the action is paused, inputs are ignored).
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:45 pm

i was playing Rogue Warrior on the ps3 yesterday its terrible!
-Vic
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:24 pm

Vicious wrote:i was playing Rogue Warrior on the ps3 yesterday its terrible!

So it seems...

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/objects/849/849721.html

...hope you didn't spend money on it.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:16 pm

nope llol
-Vic

Return to “Introversion Lounge”