Subversion Development - Any Suggestions Etc...

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:28 am

Really? I thought it was subversion, I could well be wrong though, it was a while ago...

I couldn't find the quote about stopping eating, but I did find the one I was originally thinking of anyway

chris wrote:this is the big one, Introversion Software’s Magnum Opus, and it’s going to be the best game we will ever make.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:05 am

You can sit there in mindless amazement when you consider the sheer scope of destruction being wrought by the player and actually watch it happen in real time.

'Sides, Introversion has already dealt with near-extinctions (Darwinia), massive nuclear holocausts (DEFCON), and Genocidal warfare based on color (Multiwinia). Why not massive destruction and casualties though Godlike actions on a hapless, randomly generated city?

In the end it's a thread for suggestions and ideas. I just illustrated the first one to pop into my head when it came to randomly generated cities. Sadly, I can see people having fun with this too.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:06 am

wait, so everyone but us knows what subversion is going to be?!?!
How is that even fair?!!?
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:09 pm

elexis wrote:This has been on the production queue for ages, but I'm pretty sure it was Chronometer that sat Mark there for ages in amazement.
It is.
bagpuss606
level0

Kill 'em all

Postby bagpuss606 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Why not massive destruction and casualties though Godlike actions on a hapless, randomly generated city?

Well it'd be good to have that as an option. At least half my Sim City games ended with repeated pushing of the "sod this" button & unleashing hurricanes & alien monsters on the ungrateful citizenry :D
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:50 pm

A good thing about no knew blogs, and maybe even the reason why, is that we don't see our ideas trampled into the ground and can still dream of what Subversion would be like if we could make it.
So, to restart this topic, here I goooooooooooooooooooo:

You are mister Y, an important figure in this game because you seek to destroy the world.
You are mister X, an important figure in this game because you seek to take over the world.
Everyone is a mister O's, unimportant figures in this world cause they are all manipulated.

And it's an mmo!!! more come later...
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:57 am

Well, there are differences between Sim City and the apocalypse simulator. In the former, you build a city and have random disasters. In the latter, you have a random city but build disasters.

And you get score for how well you deconstruct your city :)
tangostorm
level2
level2

Postby tangostorm » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:29 pm

well i took a look at the thread title and decide to join this conversation..
Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have read there is no general clue about what the game topic will be, except for a city random generator and a building generator.
Giving clues about Subversion development with a such general framework, in my opinion, is a waste of energy, because we can range to everything..if the IV development lines would be a little bit more clear, I think the quality of contributions to this post will be much more efficient!
Please share your opinions with me!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:40 pm

Well, yes. Although, the impression created from the OP is "Chris made a city generator that even builds the buildings and doesn't really know what to do with it". Or, "doesn't know how best to use it".
holdeg2
level0

Idea smattering

Postby holdeg2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:24 pm

This question was asked so long ago, I pretty much hope IV has an idea and has started to run with it. But if not and I am doomed to see Subversion engine sometime in 2011, then here goes:

Considering the style of the current buildings (and trying to consider the least amount of asset work) here's where I go:

Corporate Warfare, buying and selling buildings with different attributes to that offer more tools to take over the next building. Race to take over the city or first to the center. This seems like something IV could do well.

Syndicate Wars would be the next thought. Simple arcade action. The flexibility of the engine allows for random levels, and/or a great level editor. Prototyping with darwinians.

Last game idea would be my pipe dream: GTA + Deus Ex.
Crackdown came close to this, but the Subversion (engine) can probably make something truly spectacular and with more RPG elements and story.
UnDeR_SEEG
level0

Postby UnDeR_SEEG » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:14 pm

Wow corporate warfare, those are two words I almost posted in here yesterday.. however the idea was very different. so I feel its time to make my idea post... this idea has been floating around in my head since about 2002 when I reached the server in uplink that asked for new introversion game ideas, and I have to say some of the stuff that's come out of the subversion blog is scarily similar to it too.

Corporate warfare... I had imagined something much larger scale than a single city, it would span the world (good thing about procedural content is they'd only have to turn around an algorithm to create flight paths and underground systems etc. to fit the idea, nothing would really have to be thrown away!). Companies provide missions to do things such as infiltrate company X's building to steal secret documents from a safe located on the top floor. Or prevent man X from reaching location Y to prevent a rival company getting massive contract etc. and players would accept these missions and hire a crew (or have speciality team members which they've acquired throughout the game) which functioned as the tools they'd require to complete the job.

They would then take the role of the facilitator of the mission through their PC interface, doing things to help their team and hinder others to achieve the objective. They could have interfaces to control everything from live maps of the train network of a country to stop trains running on time (or if they take an evil path they could cause more havoc than just train delays such as making a train switch tracks), and live views of air traffic control to delay flights and set new destinations for planes in the air, right through to a live 3d view of a corporations headquarters building with their team, security guards, security systems, sprinkler, lift, network, and all other systems presented to them.

They would track the locations of their team and give them orders, and they would run the operation like in mission impossible, gaining control of a subsystem and controlling it - such as the lifts... with this control they can help guide the team to the target, and security guards away from the team, using their skills to get through physical challenges and providing help from the cloud to achieve hacks into subsystems which couldn't be done by the team.... there could even be challenges where some work has to be done by the team, and some has to be done by the player afterwards. However the more suspect disturbance they caused the more likely the AI would be to evacuate important data from the building, so the player would have to be careful not to cause too much of a disturbance, or it could turn into a wild goose chase or mission failure.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:00 pm

but thats all boring
holdeg2
level0

Postby holdeg2 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:25 pm

It really depends on how its done. SimCity on paper is REALLY boring.

I think UnderSeeg has two game concepts there. A game on corporate warfare or a shadowrun as the decker are both cool
UnDeR_SEEG
level0

Postby UnDeR_SEEG » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:30 pm

GreenRock wrote:but thats all boring

That's not constructive, they asked people to contribute their ideas.

I had imagined my idea to be quite fast paced. I also think there are many other similarities between it and uplink, which is why I think it would appeal to current Introversion fans. Take the randomly generated mission paradigm for example, instead of ranging from copying a file or trace logs back to a gateway its missions such as copy a hard drive on an isolated office machine or infiltrate buildings until you trace back to some employees home. Or the software upgrade paradigm, except instead of crackers and by-passers its team members who can pick locks and team members who can hack into the buildings network to find the location of the required server.
I <3 procedural content
UnDeR_SEEG
level0

Postby UnDeR_SEEG » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 pm

Wow! I found a couple of flash prototypes from back in the day (October 2004) on the concept I mentioned above, obviously I fail when in comparison to Subversions graphical finesse, but hey I was young back then!

Return to “Subversion”