Subversion Development - Any Suggestions Etc...

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

Teddy Coalition
level2
level2

Postby Teddy Coalition » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:51 am

naufrago, your gta/uplink idea was already posted.

Anyways, Greenrock, your edits are hilarious, lol.

But seriously, the google thing is a step backwards. Yest this should be a sandbox type game, but to stoop it down to a level of mere interaction on Tourist level is a waste of recourses. I like the Idea of sharing the cities though, but I hate the fact of another simcity with gta. It's... well...

Well, it's simply not good enough. I for one, can't wait to hear more news on this project, and I hope it wont take another 4 years to make it. Although, the longer is kinda, the better. No rush.

One thing though. After playing Second life last night, I had a strange dream I was in a city so alive! it was like vegas, on steroids, without the gambling.
Bilboards flew across the sky, Some people drove a super sports car, another flew an airplane, and yet another had wings, and just flew.
I saw a crowd, and as I pushed myself through it, there was a fight match in the middle. All kinds of games were happening all over.
In the distance I saw a mountain, at that moment, wings came out my back, and I flew to it, where I saw ppl snowboarding, and chillaxing by a big hotel.
I flew around the town, and I saw an air battle, at which point I don't recall the rest of the dream.

When I woke up, the first word that popped into my head was... "Subversion"
Join the Coalition or perish at it's feet!
naufrago
level1
level1

Postby naufrago » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:46 am

I don't see where in the thread my idea was posted. Regardless, I didn't read most of the replies before posting; any similarities between my post and the content of others' is purely coincidental.

After reading through the thread, I see a couple similarities with one or two posts, but I have to strongly disagree that my idea 'was already posted'. I offered ideas of what buildings could be used for, how buildings could be controlled (very roughly), how control could swap hands, possible connections to Darwinia, and offered my perspective on what I think may be fun to play. I don't see anything in the thread that closely resembles the ideas for those things. Well, some people have similar hopes that the game will have a fairly large scope, but that's about it. As for similarities to GTA, I just threw the name out there because it's crime related and well known. If anything, I was more influenced by the concept of this flash game called The Heist 2 without the car chase part. I find it hard to believe you read past the first mention of Grand Theft Auto (seeing as the second reference was to say that I don't want the game to turn into GTA).
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:24 pm

I think most of our minds kind of go in the same direction about how this game should be, let's hope Chris's mind is going in this direction as well :).

Anyways, Naufrago's post did made me think of a more realistic and specific kind of gameplay, more sandbox indeed.
I like the idea that you have "swarms" of darwinia's or whatever, that may even have some sort of swarm intelligence programmed into them, and that you try to control this "flow" of swarms in th way you want it, by setting parameters etc. It's kind of what I thoughed about at first, only simplified and more natural?
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Chris is the closest one to the game right now, so in the end, it's Chris' genius going into the game, not ours.
Teddy, that was the coolest dream I've heard.
Maybe subversion will have a random event generator, and everything will be happening around the city for us to see. Even alien/ufo, stealth fighter airfights >:D
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:30 pm

*if this is all not unique then just ignore it.

As far as I can tell there are only a few certainties. There will be cities involved. The game(?) will be very open. There will be a hell of a lot of content created by the user(s).
From this the only thing I can tell for certain is that there is going to be one hell of a community for user content/modding. Whether that community is on a forum somewhere or in game like spore I don't know. But...

I reckon it would be a good idea for IV to periodically release content packs/updates that contain the best works of the community. This would keep the game fresh and help inspire others to (do whatever you do in this game.)
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:10 am

like garry's mod.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 am

My crude system so far for modding content implentation. There is one big consistent world, divided up in districts, each district is owned by a clan, or single player.
Each week you can place content in the list to be implented for, let's say a week, if your content is implented depends on how much you pay, each district in that area that want's to get his own content into the game has to bid for that one available space in the week/month. The highest bidder wins and get's to see his content impleneted.
Then after a week all surrounding districts that were involved in the test get to vote for the idea, let's say you need 80% of the districts to agree with your content.
Then this content will be impleneted and use, but only in these districts that voted for it.
Also, all surrounding districts that have not implented the content but are next to districts that have, can vote the whole idea off with a 50% rate.
The districts that have voted for the content but want to get rid of it have to get 80% of the votes of the districts tht got the content implented and they have to pay the sum the content owner payed to get the content in the game by being th highest bidder.

So, it seems very complex but I think actually it is quite simple, main importance of the system is that you have guided implentation of content, but also guided removal of content, as to make it a self-regulatory system.

Say one modder has made a prgram that makes his cars fly and gives unfair advantages, if he want's to risk his money to test this, it's his own choice, and the money will be the first barrier.
Then if he agrees with all other districts next to him in a pact that they all vote for, 80%, the program can still be voted of by surrounding districts that find this unfair, if they also don't do this, the program will stay, if there are no optional rules about the modding content, but it will never spread far because there will be not enough support in other districts unless enough people want it.
Also th one week/month thing is not to get a too fast pace and to make it clear for players. Besides that, all content should come in some sort of databan so that players can try to get content from this databank implented in there district and surrounding districts.

At last, if more then 50% of the districts have one kind of content the content will be allowed in all districts in the world, meaning the use of this content is no longer regulated to be used in distrcts that voted yes for this content.

In the end, I think we end up with a community that fairly much regulates itself and where content spamming and "cheating" can be fairly good countered by this system.
Most important however, I think, is that we end up with a world that is very diverse, because each region with district can develop into it's own direction, with content that is only available there. So you get natural different cities and places, where the consensus of the districtleaders have gone in a certain direction in regards to the modding content, this should be exciting!

Ofcourse this system is far from perfect and still very crude, but I hope you understand the concept.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 am

I found some cool music that suits subversion....or so I think.
Clickity click ;)

EDIT:
Lol, the bomb diffusing thing in chris' blog gave me this idea.
Subversion is to be this twisted, huge-scale, real, version of bomberman.
:D
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:39 am

New subversion picture!
CLICK!!!
CLICK!!!!
CLICK!!!!
subversion picture

(woops, should've edited. sorry. the excitement disabled my common sense)
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:43 am

Have you checked the random topic recently?
Shakey
level1
level1

Postby Shakey » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Not really read the thread in detail and not sure if my 2 cents are gonna be waay of the mark.

I've got the feeling (or it is my desire) for this to be a subterfuge and sneaking/spying type game where you have to physically steal stuff
Not ledgers of information but you need to be physically there to steal the data.

I don't want any 'abilities' to be affected by hunger or needing a wash or any of that kind of crap.
I don't want to have to go and make a sandwich in the game so that I can do a certain task that is close to my maximum ability of a particular skill or something.

Also I think that a 3rd person viewpoint would be beneficial as it would give a 'cinematic' viewpoint,
although fixed viewpoints like Resident Evil 2 may be more cinematic I like the freedom of the movement of an over the shoulder camera.

If you're doing an action and there is something of significance I think that a PIP of someone coming up a lift or entering a building qwould be cool.
It doesn't have to be live, it could be a stock animation just to show the actual occurrence and not the specifics of the characters involved.
(eg the animation might be a stickman instead of a character, or a plain model instead of detailed)
This could be triggered by either hacking their security or just the heightened perception of the character.
(Not that they will be a superhuman or superspy etc)

I also don't think that you should go the route of Hitman and have to sneak into areas and then wear disguises and stuff.
If you are breaking into an office the easiest thing is to do it at night. Do a bit of hacking (loathe to use that word on here) and then get past security.
I don't think that there has to be any combat in the game, just escape methods and diversions.
Maybe you could subdue night shift guards but I'm not sure.

It took me ages to think of anything and then it poured out.
Most of it will be shit and cliched but I'm not creative enough to think of anything new!

If I'm way off the mark and I've completely missed something, please tell me.
bagpuss606
level0

Neuromancer

Postby bagpuss606 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:52 pm

Reading Chris's blog, I think it was when he started putting the lifts in, I realised that what I've always wanted to do in a game is recreate the passage in which Case is "riding" Molly as she infiltrates the building in which a computer construct of an old hacker buddy of his is kept... he can switch in and out of her perception but doesn't control her, rather communicating with her by voice, and switches into cyberspace in order to aid her with various hacks, including sending the building's workers insane with subliminal messaging... if I remember rightly. (I liked the Matrix too but you can get more across with the written word than with Keanu Reeves. Case is the Keanu Reeves character for those who haven't read the book.)

Then there's the bit in Freeside - Case et al. are being pursued by the feds and Wintermute (the occasionally helpful AI, demon, whatnot) comes to their aid with, I think a lawnmower, Maximum Overdrive style. Or maybe that just happened in Maximum Overdrive. Anyway, the AI uses what's there to lend a hand. & I think it would be rather cool for the player, instead of being Case, to be Wintermute (HAL, Master Control Program, Skynet if you prefer) trying to jailbreak yourself out of the corporate mainframe (please let it be a corporate mainframe - they're way more cyberpunk than data clouds) by whatever nefarious means present themselves.

Only initially not only would the player's capabilities be limited but sensory data representing the surrounding building, city etc. would be completely absent, and would have to be earned along with the tools for the interpretation of said data. (I've seen too many sci-fi films - in my head I'm pronouncing data not as "dayter" but as "datter" like the intelligent bomb in Dark Star). So the player would more or less start from "I think therefore I am" and proceed to nuking all the people, building a utopia for the people, building a fake utopia for the people who don't realise they're actually in jars, buggering off to Alpha Centauri... the thing would be to have alternative endings for every sci-fi trope you and modders can come up with, which come up as Xbox achievements.

Anyway, read Neuromancer so when they finally make it into a film you can bitch about how crap the new ending is.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:06 am

You begin the game with a randomly generated city, filled with peopleoids and vehicles all represented by 2D sprites. There are over a billion of them, all in the city.

You begin gameplay by filling up a quota of Bad Things and disasters. Eventually custom-content disasters could be added for fun and hilarity. Regardless, you now have a godlike assortment of disasters and Bad Things...

...to hurtle at your city.

The objective is to cause the most destruction and civil mayhem using what disasters you've equipped. Everything from local-region earthquakes to backed-up sewer systems to falling rocket ships. Depending on the amount of people killed, civilian traffic disrupted, buildings destroyed, and general unpleasantry running around in the city, your score is adjusted accordingly.

For an added game type you will control one peopleoid as he tries to survive the onslaught you have set in motion and escape the city intact with as many followers as possible. Going into buildings and grabbing/doing stuff as the city goes FUBAR may be a requirement.

If IV isn't afraid to do a game based on nuclear devastation at a national level, I don't think they'll be afraid to do citywide devastation from Godlike events.

This game will be released 2012, to compensate for the fact that the Mayan prophecy did not come true in Real Life.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:37 pm

Chris at some point mentioned this was a game he'd wanted to make for ages, and as I remember Mark said that when Chris described the game to him he just sat there in amazement. Do you think mindless destruction is really going to fit those requirements for these guys? ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:52 pm

This has been on the production queue for ages, but I'm pretty sure it was Chronometer that sat Mark there for ages in amazement.

Return to “Subversion”