level1
level1

Postby naterd00d » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:26 am

im using wordpad

i found the word UFO but its in garble so i just think its a coincidence
WNivek
level2
level2
Location: New Jersey, USA From liquid death to cinnamon toast!

Postby WNivek » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:28 am

... like I said, the clue to opening the file is in its begining.
Dark Phoenix
level1
level1

Postby Dark Phoenix » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:38 am

Honestly, you guys, if you open the file in Notepad, your clue is in the first six bytes of data. If you can't figure that out, don't expect to understand a large part of IV's games.
"There is no idea so good it can't be ruined by a few well-placed idiots." - Scott Adams,
creator of "Dilbert"

Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:42 am

NeoThermic
naterd00d
level1
level1

Postby naterd00d » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:46 am

hahah the first time i opened it i was like, Wow i have that!

i guess some people are still using winzip...tsk tsk tsk
yacoub
level1
level1

Postby yacoub » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:37 am

lol! thanks. figures i tried winzip but not winrar ;p
Scorpio
level0

Postby Scorpio » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:48 am

NeoThermic, u bad guy, teasing and not showing more :P
Lionel Mandrake
level2
level2

Postby Lionel Mandrake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:49 am

I do hope that no extra-terrestrial types show up and attack me unless I specifically want them to... or at least that they attack the dastardly enemy!
Dark Phoenix
level1
level1

Postby Dark Phoenix » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:24 pm

Damn you and your beta version, NeoThermic! Do you have any tornado screenies? Unfortunately, it has been stated in another thread that UFOs were disabled in the retail release, although I have yet to hear about tornadoes. As for the discovery that in IV's games, .dat=.rar, congrats. Although it seems we'll have to wait until the Fourth Game to see if they come out with REDSHIRT3. The only thing that is in any way encrypted in Defcon seems to be main/data/world.dat, and after de-redshirt2-ing it, all it says is "CONFIDENTIAL playable demo. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE."
"There is no idea so good it can't be ruined by a few well-placed idiots." - Scott Adams,

creator of "Dilbert"

Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:14 pm

AFAIK UFOs and tornadoes are in some way linked.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
failtech
level0

Postby failtech » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:44 am

in the laguage file there is a line for a removed server setting called "EnableWorldEvents".
the description says it enables random events on the map...UFO´s and tornados maybe.

you can add this server setting to your server preferences file.
the setting shows up in game with the right description and the option to enable or disable it.

I´m not sure if this added server setting really affect the game as you can put anything you want in this file.
but it looks like this is what neo talked about.
carelesshx
level0

Postby carelesshx » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:59 am

WNivek wrote:The program itself doesn't matter so much, as there are a number of them that can handle it. As stated, though, you need to know what you're dealing with.

Answers come from within.

Also, you don't need a hex-editor to find the clue I'm trying to direct you too... even a simple text-editor can see it.

Hehe that's cool. I knew how to open the files, but didn't realise it was just sitting there in the first three characters of the file. Anyway, now to look at those easter eggs or whatever.
jfore88
level1
level1

Postby jfore88 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:52 am

Dark Phoenix wrote:Damn you and your beta version, NeoThermic! Do you have any tornado screenies? Unfortunately, it has been stated in another thread that UFOs were disabled in the retail release, although I have yet to hear about tornadoes. As for the discovery that in IV's games, .dat=.rar, congrats. Although it seems we'll have to wait until the Fourth Game to see if they come out with REDSHIRT3. The only thing that is in any way encrypted in Defcon seems to be main/data/world.dat, and after de-redshirt2-ing it, all it says is "CONFIDENTIAL playable demo. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE."

I noticed the "redshirt2" text in the world.dat file as well. What is this "redshirt2" program and where can I get it?
jfore88
level1
level1

Postby jfore88 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:11 am

failtech wrote:in the laguage file there is a line for a removed server setting called "EnableWorldEvents".
the description says it enables random events on the map...UFO´s and tornados maybe.

you can add this server setting to your server preferences file.
the setting shows up in game with the right description and the option to enable or disable it.

I´m not sure if this added server setting really affect the game as you can put anything you want in this file.
but it looks like this is what neo talked about.

Which file is the server preferences one? I have been trying to add this to my gameoptions.txt file but it hasn't worked. Can you either tell me what line to add to what file (exact code please), or upload the modified file? Thanks.
notforsale
level1
level1

Re: Joshua! Or, the Easter Egg thread

Postby notforsale » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:37 am

Dark Phoenix wrote:have found and empirically verified an easter egg in Defcon. If you name any computer player "Joshua," they become insanely intelligent/difficult; the only games I have ever lost to AI thus far have been against Joshuas.

Wasnt that bad...

Return to “General”