So what exactly IS going on at IV?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

So what exactly IS going on at IV?

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:44 pm

I've not been around for a while, but came back expecting to see, well, something at least. As far as I can tell there are three things possibly on the go:
1. Darwinia+. Supposed to be coming out last year, pushed back for approx. 6 months for extra polish and getting it past Microsoft, release date still tba. Producer has left, although game was supposed to be more-or-less all packed off to MS by then. No real news since. Could be all due to MS being slow / secretive.
2. Defcon DS. Seemingly almost complete but lacking publisher. Buying the rights back must have cost a decent wedge of cash.
3. Subversion. No real game yet, as evidenced by the sticky asking for ideas. Must be taking longer than envisaged.

Now they haven't had any game out for a year, and it's pretty obvious that Multiwinia didn't meet expectations, and we know that cash-flow is a problem - they're merely surviving until the next game comes out. It seems like if nothing comes out by Christmas then IV could be in serious risk of folding. There is virtually nothing coming out of the company, even PR (although the community's revolt against being managed may have been a factor in that one). Now this could be due to IV all working really, really hard and not having the time to tell us anything, although I fear that they may have had to go part-time and get proper jobs in order to pay the bills.

Now I don't want to be the harbinger of doom or too negative for the sake of it, but I think that IV make some great games, and I would like to show my support in the hope that you get through this dry patch, and that D+ gets you enough cash to pay off the debts and supports you until Subversion (finally) completes.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:07 pm

There have been a few tweets suggesting D+ is on the verge of being ready but there have also been a few tweets suggesting D+ has some swine flu type bugs.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:09 pm

Sorry guys, we appreciate that it's very frustrating to hear nothing for ages. We share those frustrations, and we've definately not been so good at keeping the community informed recently.

The truth is that we have been working crazy hard on darwinia for xbox. The final stages are taking way longer than we expected. However were not in any immediate financial danger and D+ will be done soon.

I've been on the verge of blogging about subversion a couple of times, but the stress of d+ has just killed it. We've made some amazing progress last couple of months, and I'm sorry we haven't written about that yet.

Defcon ds and chronometer are both now in limbo. We don't expect or require any further developments on those projects. Next year it's all about launching darwinia+ for xbox, and getting subversion on it's way.

And that's everything we are doing right now! Please have patience, we know we haven't been great since multiwinia, but great things are coming. We ask for your patience!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:11 pm

I'll say it for everyone; Thank you Chris for the response! It does matter when you (or anyone at IV) takes a moment to inform us.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:15 pm

Well glad to read that things are ok with all in Introversion.

Look forward to reading more about Subversion.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:44 pm

. . .!
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:50 pm

What Ace Rimmer and Rkiver said. :)
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:55 pm

I was just waiting for the blog post stating: It's over

An update, even a small one like this, means a lot. Thanks for easing my nerves.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:39 am

mibias wrote:An update, even a small one like this, means a lot. Thanks for easing my nerves.

QFT

Now, back to what we'd usually be doing when Chris posts something, endlessly speculating!

Chris wrote:We've made some amazing progress last couple of months

What do you reckon has been done on subversion in all this time?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:36 am

Thank you for the response, Chris. It is always nice to hear what is going on in the land of IV. ;)

I am sorry that both Defcon DS and Chronometer are currently in Limbo. As I don't own a DS, the Defcon project didn't/doesn't appeal much to me, but seeing a wider audience for IV's games is always a good thing on a higher level. As to Chronometer, that does make me somewhat sad. The very little bit that we have seen of it looked interesting, and I was excited to hear more.

On the other hand, it sounds like you are close to finishing D+, which can only be a good thing, because that would mean more time to work on Subversion! And, of course, once Subversion is out the door, you can finally get around to finishing Updefwinia Forever. ;)

xander
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:54 pm

Echo all the above, thanks to Chris for giving us some news. I've had Live points saved up waiting for D+ for ages!
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:55 pm

xander wrote:finishing Updefwinia Forever.
Shouldn't Subversion have a part of that now?
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Now get back to work!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:15 pm

NeatNit wrote:
xander wrote:finishing Updefwinia Forever.
Shouldn't Subversion have a part of that now?

No.

xander
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:02 pm

Greeba wrote:Echo all the above, thanks to Chris for giving us some news. I've had Live points saved up waiting for D+ for ages!

How many live points will be needed?
-Vic

Return to “Introversion Lounge”