whats your desktop background?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:50 pm

Dun dun dah.

Took the photo and helped make the treb :)
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:10 pm

NeatNit wrote:Heh, weird, just today my teacher told us how he made a cobra into one big Flight Simulator controller, with all the functionality. That's now being used to train pilots :P

I love that airframe/engine/rotor setup. The Huey's and the Cobras are things of beauty!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:24 pm

GreenRock wrote:ive never heard of fractals :(

Google much?

GreenRock wrote:they seem pretty complicated though.

They aren't that complicated. The Mandelbrot set (the picture I posted) is a little bit complicated, but not all fractals are. For instance, the trees in Darwinia are fractal in nature. Again, Google is your friend.

GreenRock wrote:you need to learn C++ to generate a cool picture like that?

No, you don't need to learn C++ to generate something like that. Any programming language with the capacity to generate images could do it. There are also programs that people have written to explore various fractals (including the Mandelbrot set). Using Google to search for "Mandelbrot set generator" or something similar might get you something that you can play with.

GreenRock wrote:what about squares or something besides circles?

Huh?

xander
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:41 pm

xander wrote:

Huh?

GreenRock is being the usual amount of fail and thinks the Mandlebrot set is an image composed of circles.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:21 pm

Montyphy wrote:
xander wrote:

Huh?

GreenRock is being the usual amount of fail and thinks the Mandlebrot set is an image composed of circles.
No, he was just wondering why the general, overall picture is more circular than any other shape.

Personally I don't know, don't care, and wikipedia doesn't explain it well enough for me. :roll:
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:33 pm

NeatNit wrote:
Montyphy wrote:GreenRock is being the usual amount of fail and thinks the Mandlebrot set is an image composed of circles.

No, he was just wondering why the general, overall picture is more circular than any other shape.

No, he was asking if it's available in different shapes, such as squares. If he was asking why is it circular he would have said, "why is it circular?" instead of "what about squares or something besides circles?"
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.

Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:19 pm

Digitally altered version of Hokusai's Great Wave.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Phelanpt wrote:Digitally altered version of Hokusai's Great Wave.

For anyone who cares, that painting also has fractal properties.

xander
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:31 pm

I tend to have something Yosemite...this at the moment...
Last edited by ynbniar on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:54 pm

Teddy Coalition wrote:Half Life2 Ep.2 rules. I got my orange box when it came out, just for the 2 extra episodes, even though I already had HL2. Portal was cool too.

Portal has got some of the most entertaining dialog I've ever heard in a game. You see...Valve makes other developers look bad (Except IV, because Valve is cool like that.) And they create the most unique characters (Alyx Vance, Gordon Freeman, the mysterious fan-named Gman, and now GLaDOS). But I mean, who else is cool enough to be able to fight an alien menace like the Combine with a few different guns, a Degree from MIT, no combat training, and a crowbar for a melee weapon? Or as someone on the internet said: "Gordon Freeman is a theoretical physicist with a surprising aptitude for firearms and combat."

Who else gets put into stasis in which he ceases to age, wakes up 20 years later only to see the world in shambles, but then in the midst of all the chaos, meets Alyx Vance. What a lucky bastard. :P
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:11 am

The Daemons wrote:Who else gets put into stasis in which he ceases to age, wakes up 20 years later only to see the world in shambles, but then in the midst of all the chaos, meets Alyx Vance. What a lucky bastard. :P

I must agree, very few other people have the exact chain of events from Half Life happen to them aside from Gordon Freeman.

I don't think it's quite fair to call the G-Man an unique character, seeing as he was designed to personify existing stereo and archetypes. GLADOS isn't really unique either, it's entertaining but the "nearly all powerful and all present AI gone CraZy!" character isn't unique at all, it's been around for decades. Alyx Vance... I don't think that Valve was the first one on the "independent black chick who's street smart but quick on the intellectual uptake" train either.

Really, most of Valve's characters aren't unique. Well done, yes. Entertaining, mostly. But not really unique.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:15 am

At home, a pic of the kids. At work, usually something space oriented because I love dark blue on a black background; makes for easy desktop icon arranging/viewing. Currently:

The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:19 am

Feud wrote:
The Daemons wrote:Who else gets put into stasis in which he ceases to age, wakes up 20 years later only to see the world in shambles, but then in the midst of all the chaos, meets Alyx Vance. What a lucky bastard. :P

I must agree, very few other people have the exact chain of events from Half Life happen to them aside from Gordon Freeman.

I don't think it's quite fair to call the G-Man an unique character, seeing as he was designed to personify existing stereo and archetypes. GLADOS isn't really unique either, it's entertaining but the "nearly all powerful and all present AI gone CraZy!" character isn't unique at all, it's been around for decades. Alyx Vance... I don't think that Valve was the first one on the "independent black chick who's street smart but quick on the intellectual uptake" train either.

Really, most of Valve's characters aren't unique. Well done, yes. Entertaining, mostly. But not really unique.

Well, I would say Gman is unique in the way he communicates with Gordon, and the way he speaks is fairly distinctive as well.

GLaDOS as a character probably isn't very original, but the dialog is what makes "her" so different from similar characters.

Umm...since when is Alyx black? Eli is black, yes, but the picture of her mother that you can see if you look close enough, reveals that she is white or maybe hispanic, which is what Alyx seems to be. But Alyx is unique in that she is one of the most in depth supporting characters in any story.

The thing that makes all the characters in Half Life unique is how emotionally attached one can become to those characters. One may start to genuinely hate Dr. Breen or the Gman . For example, (or two) I thoroughly enjoy killing Hunters as often as possible, and in as many different ways as possible (they make excellent road-kill). And this was sparked exclusively as a result of the beginning of Episode 2 when a Hunter basically kills Alyx, and would probably have remained that way, had it not been for Gordon's alliance with the Vortigaunts. Then the Gman appears and gets right up in her face and uses her like a puppet, and I really wanted curb-stomp him at that point.

I developed a hate for Advisors as well because they kill Eli and almost Alyx, but fortunately Dog jumped on it before it could do anything to her. This image is awesome, I would love to have the opportunity to beat the shit out of an Advisor with the crowbar in Episode 3: Image

I must say, I was literally almost brought to tears at the end from the death of Eli and from hearing Alyx's sobs. But that is how immersive the characters and story are.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:28 am

I guess I just don't see it the same way, though I've thoroughly enjoyed the Half Life series thus far as a game, I've never found it's story, or characters particularly capturing or interesting.
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:38 am

Here's mine:

Pales in comparison to some of the others, but I like it.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”