Dyson - Eufloria, finally released

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Dyson - Eufloria, finally released

Postby Jordy... » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:06 pm

Check it out, demo available relax good strategy game.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:59 pm

How different is it from the in development version? I tried that one, and while I really like the idea and the aesthetics, I didn't like the gameplay much.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:13 am

Well, I haven't been far in the campaign yet, but the idea is about the same. Onle much more content and a few extra opions I believe.

However, if you did not like the gameplay-idea of the protoype, you'll probably won't like this either. If you liked the idea, but found it too boring because there was little challenge after the first few minutes, you'll find this version better I assume. Still quite pricy if you ask me, but I like it.

But in general, so far, it's about the same, only better handling, but LUa or something is also incorporated so expect to find many custom levels.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:02 am

I found the gameplay of the dev version had a low attention span. I might give the full demo a go though.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:47 am

You should do that, but it's still kind of slow, compared to other games, and I think it's meant to be played windowed, however they have made numerous improvements, so try it out.
The Daemons
level2
level2

Postby The Daemons » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:08 pm

Wow, I haven't even played it yet and I'm already impressed just from the trailer!!

Edit: Ok, just played some of the demo, and I must say I remain thoroughly impressed!! :D What else is there besides building trees and using seedlings to capture more asteroids?
Last edited by The Daemons on Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18 pm

Tried it. Umm, it's REALLY slow. Especially the last story map of the demo. And it's also very basic, like Multiwinia Domination without crates. The Skirmish Map is advertised as containing the full gameplay (warning about spoilers, I guess that is with people in mind who jump right to it, it doesn't contain more gameplay than the later story missions), and it's just trees producing more flying things, trees defending, and strong/fast/energetic flying things. Dunno. Not my thing, I guess. Music and art are nice, though most of it was lost to me, playing all zoomed out. Zooming in makes things prettier, but gives zero valuable information.

Also, am I the only one thinking the player faction is the evil invading force? Problems only start once you trespass on the other asteroids, and you're constantly ordered around to 'investigate', by which the game means 'destroy everything not our colour, threat or not'.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:34 pm

you see things in the wrong light here Bert, everywhere you go was owned or should be owned by the growers, exterminating any opposite thinking is not more ten natural.

But my conlusion, so far, it sucks compared to what I payed. Waite for it to drop below 5 euro or so and then try it out, it's a timeless game anyway.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:31 am

I've been enjoying it. Just finished mission 17 (out of 25).

bert_the_turtle wrote:Tried it. Umm, it's REALLY slow. Especially the last story map of the demo. And it's also very basic, like Multiwinia Domination without crates.

Pacing is indeed a problem, as on most levels you'll have an excruciatingly slow beginning while expanding and amassing forces, followed by a massive zerg rush as your trees and empire grow.

Thing is, the game is ostensibly Ambient gaming, in much the same terms as Knytt and Flow. I don't think it's supposed to be hard or complex, just a relaxing experience, and apart of the pacing problem, the game succeeds at that.

The story is really just an excuse. It serves as setup, but beyond that is overthinking it.

I do not regret the money I gave for it, but again I admit that a lower price point (say, around 10€) would probably be wise.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:02 am

Xocrates wrote:Thing is, the game is ostensibly Ambient gaming, in much the same terms as Knytt and Flow. I don't think it's supposed to be hard or complex, just a relaxing experience, and apart of the pacing problem, the game succeeds at that.
That may also explain why the AI is so passive, at least in the levels available on the demo. But I can only repeat that it's not for me. To succeed as a background game, it would need to be able to automatically go to pause mode when it doesn't have focus and one of your asteroids gets attacked. I don't have that kind of screen space to waste to be able to keep a constant watch on things myself. And to keep it open and just play, it doesn't give me interesting things to do or watch or hear at a sufficient rate. Fl0w was much better at that, IMHO. Half the internet probably cries for a fast forward button, so maybe they'll add that in a patch. That would help a lot.

Regarding the 'evil' stuff, I didn't say that's a bad thing :) It's just a bit at odds with the descriptions.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:32 pm

Still, it could be alot more challegeging I think, it shpuld be. Too bad they didn't included MP, anyways, if you like RTS games, go check out RUSE it's the next big thing to hit the market YIHAAA!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Just finished the main campaign. Additional thoughts:

Regarding difficulty, I should note that the last few levels can be pretty challenging at times, although that's mostly because of more varied game conditions (the AI is also slightly more aggressive). I can also note that finishing the campaign (or unlocking it in the unlock menu :P ) provides a new mode that allows you to replay several campaign maps with increased difficulty.

Besides that I don't have much to add. Eufloria (I keep wanting to write Dyson) is an odd sort of game. It's charming and sort of addictive while being a bit shallow and boring at times. I would recommend giving it a try, but beyond that it depends entirely of personal preference.

I like it, but I wouldn't say it's a GOTY contender.
Teddy Coalition
level2
level2

Postby Teddy Coalition » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:14 pm

I've been playing Dyson for quite a while, but I forgot to check the site in a while.
I only wish they put in multiplayer mode.
Join the Coalition or perish at it's feet!
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Jordy... wrote:Still, it could be alot more challegeging I think, it shpuld be. Too bad they didn't included MP, anyways, if you like RTS games, go check out RUSE it's the next big thing to hit the market YIHAAA!

The game itself looks interesting, not great but I'll probably check it out. However, the game is overshadowed by the trailer for the combat using a touch surface, which makes me want to develop games for the micosoft surface even more ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohNzHWL7FI
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Jazz Ad
level1
level1

Postby Jazz Ad » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 pm

I played Dyson at demo stage and thought game mechanics were very similar to Darwinia.
Eufloria strenghtened this impression. The way you play to devellop and protect your seeds, balance between growing population and attacking others while capturing spawn points works exactly like Multiwinia.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”