Offensive words

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.

insulting someone on this forum is....

funny
18%
insulting
36%
whatever
18%
should be stopped
27%

Total votes: 11
Jordy...
level5
level5

Offensive words

Postby Jordy... » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:06 pm

I just got a warning not to racially insult anybody anymore, or I'll get banned. Now I know NN would be happy to sacrafice himself to get me banned, but that's not where this is about.

What do you think of insulting someone on these forums? Should it be banned (the insulting)? Or should it be allowed, or should it only be allowed for respectable forum members?
Personally I don't care much, since I know most of the time it's not really meant, or otherwise I just really don't care because I don't give a shit about the person saying it, but what do you think?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:01 pm

I see nothing wrong with playful insulting, and if you can't handle any amount of insults, you should stay out of the Internet, IMHO (and off the streets), and if you're an idiot or troll, prepare to be called that. However, there is a line. I haven't followed your recent antics, but if you were messaged, you probably stepped over it.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:16 pm

nah don't think so, caled neatnit a something jew, I even forgot, but I pm'ed him and he doesn't even mind.
So I don't know, is IV especvially sensitiv for racial comments or something?! Otherwise I would like to see the warning to be removed Icepick!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Calling people jews is anti-semite, and it's considered a racial insult. If you don't know why, google world war II.
Prof.Falken
level2
level2

Postby Prof.Falken » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Without getting into the detail's it is generally considered derogatory to call someone a "Jew" that is infact not jewish why this is the case is beyond me but that's just the way it is.

You need to ask yourself would you be happy if someone called you by the name of your religion or culture or country i for one would not be bothered at all.

In my opinion it should be treated like being called a "Swede" for being Swedish but that's just my opinion.

Some people are more easily offended than other's.

For future reference i would just use the more well known accepted word's like arse hole or other word's to that effect.

Take care.

Prof

:P
tllotpfkamvpe
level5
level5

Postby tllotpfkamvpe » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:34 pm

Last edited by tllotpfkamvpe on Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:40 pm

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:people don't come here to be constantly reading insults.

This.

tllotpfkamvpe wrote:The admins should be a lot tighter around here and ban trouble makers before it gets this far.

If we ban them before they cross the line, then we're banning them for no offence committed. That being said, I've yet to receive a complaint about this particular set of problems. If a user does have an issue with name calling, admins must know, so please PM me if this is the case. (I do actually deal with such issues often)

NeoThermic
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:59 pm

Well neatnit didn't care and it was him I was calling names at, still I might consider a complaint myself tho, how exactly will you handle the people that insulted me Neo?

Anyways, I agree with prof here, a jew is a jew like a swede is a swede, or should we call them inhabtants of isreal?!

What I put upfront the word jew was in no way out of the ordinary here on these forums, so how does it make the whole insult a racial one? I dunno, but I think it's more an insult to a jew to see jew is an insulting word then to just say it.
Jordy...
level5
level5

When is something a racial insult?

Postby Jordy... » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:03 pm

For example, is calling someone a jew a racial insult? And if so, by wich terms?

How exactly do we define a racial insult on these forums?
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:18 pm

Jordy... wrote:Anyways, I agree with prof here, a jew is a jew like a swede is a swede, or should we call them inhabtants of isreal?!

Jew doesn't mean "person from Israel".
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:21 pm

well, before i say anything to anyone at all (even on the internet), i make sure i can say it to their face. I also make sure its not some unsupported meaningless jab that has no right to be found in any conversation.

i voted for whatever :D
insults have to be dealt with here, and in everyday life (freedom of speech)
but they have to backed up. you cant just go name calling someone whenever you feel like it.
Introversion doesnt want anything bad on here.
this forum and all the other ones were created for constructful puposes.
GreenRock
level4
level4

Postby GreenRock » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:28 pm

why should ethnicities, religion, race, or anything else be mentioned on here anyways?
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:33 pm

because they're fun you dickhead
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Context matters. You can call someone a jolly good chap and make that an insult. And since Jew is a word depicting race and/or religion, it becomes a racial insult. Simple as that. Your transparent attempts at bringing people to your side are quite futile, by the way.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:44 pm

I've merged, manually I might add, your topic 'When is something a racial insult?' into this topic, since they follow each other and thus do not need a separate topic. I would like you to keep your topic volume down Jordy, each new idea doesn't demand a new topic :P

NeoThermic

Return to “Introversion Lounge”