Multiwinia Machinima Preview

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Multiwinia Machinima Preview

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:18 pm

Due to an unfortunate bug that occurred with 3DS Max and the landscape, I've been forced to delay the epic Battle for the Laser Disc Mountain until I can figure out what's wrong with it. In the mean time, to allow me from venting my frustration improperly...

Multiwinia: the Good, the Bad, and the Holographic

Watch the preview here.

Please read the video description too. It says the problems I'm currently aware of that I happened to forget about while rendering in MAX.

I originally put in sound effects, only to take them out to avoid any run-ins with YouTube. Better safe than sorry for now.

I am now going to proceed with my works. Please leave any constructive thoughts/ideas here or on the video. Thanks.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 pm

You like westerns? I like them, I guess, good movie that was, so don't use it's name for some crap bullshit.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:55 pm

Nice job so far, not sure exactly what you intend he end result will be like but I'll be hanging around to find out.

Hmmm... If a newb were to write this, I would have considered it spam...[/quote]
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:58 pm

For sure it's spam this could be in the random topic right Xander ;0?

He has nothing to show except some unfinished stuff, the attention whore!
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:29 am

Jordy... wrote:I has the smallest penis :(

Don't be jealous, because otherwise you make it completely obvious that I'm better. :)

Elexis: I plan on making it as a comedic parody to several western movies with the theme being Darwinia-styled.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:48 am

sounds good, I'd like to see DG's herding cattle (ants)
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:45 pm

!!! Good idea... Haven't thought of that before. I'll definitely give it a shot though.
Krion112
level2
level2

Postby Krion112 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:30 pm

Nice preview, and I like the nice particle effects :D . The only thing I thought was awekward was the size of the darwinians legs... but it's not a big deal.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:51 pm

Meh, I couldn't decide what the official width setting was, and I was looking at the original Darwinia... My main complaint was I forgot the camera bit when the red MW launches himself too far.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:09 pm

The closest you could get to with a 5x6 pixel pic is sorta like this:

Code: Select all

..#..
#####
..#..
.###.
.#.#.
.#.#.
*hopes it doesn't fail*

Anyway, make something close to that :P

Yours look more like:

Code: Select all

..#..
#####
..#..
#####
#...#
#...#

Both of these are stretched cause of the line spaces. So.. Just know that. :P
Last edited by NeatNit on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:11 am

1. "Machinima" refers to the use of real-time 3D engines (e.g. game engines) to generate animation. As you do not seem to be using such a setup, what you are doing is not machinima.
  2. Looking over your description of the video on youtube, the music is incorrectly attributed. Visitors From Dreams was created by Dma-Sc (not DMA).
  3. I recognize that this is a WIP, but the DGs seem very, very static. In both games, DGs are constantly in motion (unless they are in a formation). They are always moving in one direction or another. However, the DGs in your video, aside from the ones that are shooting, are standing still.
  4. If you want to get the correct dimensions for the DGs, ignore NeatNit, and open up the data archives for the game. There is a DG sprite in with the other sprites, which you could base your model off of.
  5. Your DGs are three-dimensional. They look like officers. Why?

xander
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:30 am

It would be good to see them break up when they die as well.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:51 am

xander wrote:4. If you want to get the correct dimensions for the DGs, ignore NeatNit, and open up the data archives for the game. There is a DG sprite in with the other sprites, which you could base your model off of.
Please, it's not like those 3 pixels that are off from what I said are going to make a difference.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:49 am

elexis wrote:It would be good to see them break up when they die as well.

They do break up, but unfortunately I made a mistake with the render. They appear at a closer look towards the sun. You have to look to the left, and if you look at the ground after the camera shakes, you'll see shadows falling over the horizon into the distance as well.

xander wrote:
  1. "Machinima" refers to the use of real-time 3D engines (e.g. game engines) to generate animation. As you do not seem to be using such a setup, what you are doing is not machinima.
  2. Looking over your description of the video on youtube, the music is incorrectly attributed. Visitors From Dreams was created by Dma-Sc (not DMA).
  3. I recognize that this is a WIP, but the DGs seem very, very static. In both games, DGs are constantly in motion (unless they are in a formation). They are always moving in one direction or another. However, the DGs in your video, aside from the ones that are shooting, are standing still.
  4. If you want to get the correct dimensions for the DGs, ignore NeatNit, and open up the data archives for the game. There is a DG sprite in with the other sprites, which you could base your model off of.
  5. Your DGs are three-dimensional. They look like officers. Why?

xander

1. Well, machinimas referring to videos being made through any method while still contributing to the source could be counted, can't they? If not, then I guess I'll just call it fan-made.
2. My bad. I'll fix it.
3. I know. It was a two-day rush job in order to get something that was even worth looking at to my instructor in Broadcast Graphics, but I plan on making this a full-blown film. I'm going to add more animations now that I have time and replace this preview WIP.
4. *facepalm* I completely forgot about it.
5. Uh... Have you tried animating sprite characters the way Introversion does? It's a lot more difficult with the low experience on my end than it looks. That might be something a flash user could pull off, but I'd have to find a different way, being that it's 3DS Max we're talking about. So for now, they are just 3D models. I could make them flatter, though... We'll see how it looks.

About Introversion's sprite characters: One thing about their characters, yes, it's easy to make the sprite guys. Unfortunately, they have "sides" now which are viewable by looking at them sideways. This is one problem I'm encountering... So I'm just working right now to get my animating skills down first, and if I can find something useful, then I'd definitely start using it to try and make better DGs.

Thanks for the advice xander, I appreciate it! And you too elexis. I'll take this into account on making the next few scenarios for sure.

If there's anything else which catches your eyes that's good or bad, please let me know. I'm wanting to take into account whatever I can in order to improve my skills.

Thanks a lot!
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:04 am

Any chance you can use Maya to create a basic Idle AI?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”