Play as austrilia! Serious!!!! Defend Sydney!! :)

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:07 pm

nikeplektrum wrote:im going to make a map of my room with furniture as coutries

Genius! Neighbourhood maps, anyone?
EDIT: Wait - to cope with the smaller scale... Bacteria wars! Rocket propelled antibiotics?
GlassThatRock
level1
level1

Postby GlassThatRock » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:51 pm

Ooh... sailable.bmp could be good. Sticking some subs in the Med wouldn't half be handy...
mrjamierocks
level0

Postby mrjamierocks » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:00 pm

this looks cool,i'd love an interstate war,can you get other capital citys to show up?
Necromagus
level0

Postby Necromagus » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:07 am

Sorry to be a negative nelly here, but I'd say playing as Australia would be extremely unfair. All your silos will be so densely concentrated on the relatively small landmass that it will be virtually impenetrable for anything airborn, and you have direct submarine access to every territory but Europe.
“See the earth below/Soon to make a crater/Blue sky, black death, I'm off to meet my maker”
--Megadeth - High Speed Dirt
Lionel Mandrake
level2
level2

Postby Lionel Mandrake » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:09 am

I assume that that's why it isn't availiable in the vanilla game, old bean.
jfore88
level1
level1

Postby jfore88 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:39 am

Lionel Mandrake wrote:What about a large game based entirely on a European theatre of war? Or one based on conflict over the Arctic Circle between the United States and the Soviet Union?

I would like to make a new map showing a polar projection of the northern hemisphere to be used for simulations of war between the US and USSR, but I would need a list of the cities' locations converted from the rectangular system used in the game, to polar co-ordinates, then back to rectangular co-ordinates for use with the new polar map. (Cities and their locations are stored in the "cities.dat" file located inside the "earth" folder in the "main.dat" file. This file can be opened with notepad.exe [the notepad program - comes standard with Windows 98? or later versions of Windows]

A polar projection would be circular instead of the rectangle used by the game, so I am unsure of how such a map would turn out. Idealy, the player would be prohibited from scrolling left/right so far as to make the map repeat, or scrolling left/right could cause the map to rotate around the pole.

[EDIT:] An example of this type of polar map may be found here:
http://www.3dsoftware.com/Cartography/U ... uidistant/

Now that I think about it, I suppose the map could also be a rectangular map with the prime meridian running horizontally across the screen (the same way the equator is in the original game), although it would be challenging to find a good map showing such a projection.
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:04 am

Necromagus wrote:Sorry to be a negative nelly here, but I'd say playing as Australia would be extremely unfair. All your silos will be so densely concentrated on the relatively small landmass that it will be virtually impenetrable for anything airborn, and you have direct submarine access to every territory but Europe.

Australia has been modded into South Asia, and has ONE city ( "Sydney" ) with a default of about 2.2 mil pop.
You've gotta be an idiot to cram all your silos down there. :P

I also added NZ, its the perfect point for a radar!
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
GFree
level1
level1

Postby GFree » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:38 am

Heh, cool additions.

I wonder if it were possible to mod the game to support inter-country strikes? I would actually enjoy splitting Australia into its borders, consider each state/terrority a seperate side and conduct a civil war; being from Adelaide, there would be a definate interest in irradiating Sydney or Melbourne. :wink:

Return to “General”