Official Anti-Ladder Tournament

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Official Anti-Ladder Tournament

Postby Jordy... » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:06 pm

This is the topic for the: Official Anti-Ladder Tournament

Most of you know how the ladder ruined the spirit of multiwinia, and we would like to thank Jelco for this. However it's not too late and that is why we (me and someone else) have decided to start this anti-ladder campaign, kicking off with a offical tournament.
Since most of you also know that the ladder doesn't represent the skill of players, we are going to design this tournament to do exactly that. And so the winner of this tournament will be officially the best player of Multiwnia.

*Other. less noble, reasons to create this tournament is to fuck myst and afcourse jelco.*

If you would like to join this tournament please make a anti-ladder statement or comment and leave your e-mail adress, and as for a change you have a equal vote in how this tournament is going to be, once you joined, so cook up some crazy rules and who knows it might be implented.

Some thoughts on the tournament:

* The games won't be played on the ladder-servers afcourse and thus we have to trust each other in telling the truth after the game is ended, seems a nice change, to trust someone on his word for once instead of being monitored all the time

* All aspects of Multiwinia will be tested, like duel, 3 player and 4 player, as with crates no crates, diplomacy, etc.

Then afcourse the3 most important aspect of a tournament, the prizes!!!

These will be announced later.

Join us at www.anti-ladder.movement.com!
Dirty Harry Potter
level3
level3

Postby Dirty Harry Potter » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:26 pm

smooth.... real smooth..
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 am

Yyyeah.

Also, it wasn't the ladder that killed MW, but dedwinia and server spamming.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:11 am

Uh... huh.

I hereby register my stance as being wholly against the anti-ladder tournament. The concept is intriguing, but given who is hosting it, and the motivations behind it, I cannot support this. And I will not be in any way a part of this 'anti-ladder campaign'.

Also, 'jordy', how does the ladder represent anything but skill? Noobs have a low ranking, pros have a high one. It may not be perfectly accurate person-to-person, but it still gives a good general picture of your relative skill level.
And how has it 'ruined the spirit of Multiwinia'? It's still the same game it always was. Honestly, the only person who really seems to take the rankings so seriously is you.

Or to sum it up, in terms you can hopefully comprehend, "STFU noob, nobody gives a s***."

(PS: why is one of your goals to f**k your own protege? Did you even think about that?)

Shwart!!
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:22 am

To fuck Myst was the idea of my partner in crime, and since I am not very smart you should ask Mas Tnega why the ladder ruined the spirit of MW.

Other then that, please keep the posts on topic, this is an serious campaign, a serious tournament and a serious topic, so please! respect that.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:33 am

Why isn't this in the multiwinia forum where it's _supposed_ to be?

*Ignoring everything else*
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:11 am

Jordy... wrote:This is an serious campaign, a serious tournament and a serious topic, so please! respect that.
And also a serious website, with seriously amazing non-existance!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:59 am

Jordy... wrote:Other then that, please keep the posts on topic
Like you're the right person to demand that :) Anyway, on topic, you seem to be going for a design by committee structure, which usually fails. You're also aiming to incorporate every single aspect of MW gameplay, which would be a daunting task for someone with full support from the community. Third, as you yourself admit, the purpose of the whole exercise for you is masturbation aid. Fourth, one of the key skills needed for managing a tournament is conflict resolution, something you have in negative quantities.

In conclusion, count me out.

I'm all for further tournaments, by the way. There's two things we can improve on from the last one, though:
1. The maps. While the best effort was made to select relatively balanced ones, we can do better by making our own maps. It shouldn't be a problem to distribute them to all tournament participants.
2. Single knockout stage. There are too many random factors involved even with basic crates. For example, in my match against Xocrates, I got two reinforcement crates very early on in a strategically important spot, which made it that much easier. We should switch to at least double elimination.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:01 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:2. Single knockout stage. There are too many random factors involved even with basic crates. For example, in my match against Xocrates, I got two reinforcement crates very early on in a strategically important spot, which made it that much easier. We should switch to at least double elimination.

How about single elimination, best of three games?

xander
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:30 pm

Thanks for the usefull post Bert and xander. I have considered them and I think you're mainly right Bert, so I have set some new guidelines to go on:

* Only reasonably skilled players are welcome, as not to make it too big, you may decide for yourself whether you are that reasonably skilled player.

* The anit-ladder statement is no longer required to join

* The maps on wich will be played will be user-mader content, if this is possible. This would be nice also to kick-start the map making.
These user-made maps have to be mirrored

* Only skill will be tested, without crate usage.

* Only duel skills will be tested including 2vs2.

* The tournament will be organized from the top down, but every participant has an equal voice, tho decisions will be evntually made by the organisators.

* The maps will only be dom, koth and blitz if someone makes a map for it.

* I think we should use only a small portion of maps as too make sure there is no difference in preferences in mode and map.

* Best of 3 sounds great, because it allows for one mistake.
Jordy...
level5
level5

Postby Jordy... » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:47 pm

So I just played on the first user made map and it's really not hard to implent, we could have a great tourney with it I think.
Barry the battle axe?
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:12 pm

Jordy... wrote:So I just played on the first user made map

Uhhm, I think you need to have a closer look at the mods/maps forum for multiwinia. There have been a tiny selection of custom maps floating around for quite a long time... people tended to give up on them because of the annoying implimentation issues (no scroll bar limits quantity of custom maps you could have installed at any one time)

Return to “Introversion Lounge”