Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:31 am

KingAl wrote:I detest stuff, and if you'd bothered to look at the Wikipedia page for stuff you'd see the general consensus is that stuff sucks.

It is a well known statistical fact that 99.9^π% of Wikipedia material is generated by angst fueled Iberian rabbits.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:11 am

KingAl wrote:I detest stuff, and if you'd bothered to look at the Wikipedia page for stuff you'd see the general consensus is that stuff sucks.

http://www.stuffsucks.com/index.php
Used to be a webcomic.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:25 am

xyzyxx wrote:http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bd6f/
Well, mine arrived today, and while ThinkGeek doesn't tell you this, it's actually a Dingoo A320. It plays NES games perfectly, and most GBA games, but the SNES and Genesis emulators are rather crap. Luckily, the company promises firmware/emulator updates and such. Also, there is a modding/homebrew community, which promises unofficial software upgrades and applications.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:58 pm

This is not fair. Honestly, Media Molecule shouldn't be allowed to pander to me like that, it's as if they have a checklist of ways to take my money.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:28 pm

xyzyxx wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/retro-gaming/bd6f/
Well, mine arrived today, and while ThinkGeek doesn't tell you this, it's actually a Dingoo A320. It plays NES games perfectly, and most GBA games, but the SNES and Genesis emulators are rather crap.
It might be that a 400 MHz MIPS is just not powerful enough to emulate those systems well. If I'm wrong there and they do manage to fix the problems with software updates, I ask for an update post :) Having the classics around all the time would rock. Does the system support memory snapshots as savegame replacements?
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:56 pm

Well, considering the SNES used multiple processor units, including the main CPU, one for video, one for sound, and the co-processors built into some of the game cartridges (such as the Super FX chip), I imagine it's a complicated system to emulate.

However, considering the fact that each of those processors ran at about 24 MHz, and the SNES had about 256 KB of RAM, it might be possible to successfully emulate it on the Dingoo (400 MHz CPU and 32MB of RAM) if they improve the emulator software.

The current gripes with the SNES emulator include the fact that there are several enhancement chips it doesn't seem to run at all, including the SA-1 and the Super FX. That means no Super Mario RPG, no Kirby Super Star, no Star Fox, no Yoshi's Island. Also, the Mode 7 graphics seem screwed up (no Super Mario Kart, no Pilotwings). And to top it off, most of the games it does support (including Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Donkey Kong Country) suffer from horrible issues with framerates, sprite rendering, and/or sound. The other thing is that the device doesn't recognize the Y button while the B button is held down. Pressing B and Y together is essential for all platforming games on the SNES.

EarthBound and Chrono Trigger seem to run okay on it, so that's a plus.

bert_the_turtle wrote:Does the system support memory snapshots as savegame replacements?
The emulators support save states (which I assume you're referring to) and also support traditional save methods (stored in .srm and .sav files just like PC-based emulators)
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:25 pm

xyzyxx wrote:The other thing is that the device doesn't recognize the Y button while the B button is held down. Pressing B and Y together is essential for all platforming games on the SNES.
Yikes. That better not be a hardware limitation, like some of the stuff you get on PC keyboards.

xyzyxx wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:Does the system support memory snapshots as savegame replacements?
The emulators support save states (which I assume you're referring to) and also support traditional save methods (stored in .srm and .sav files just like PC-based emulators)
Yeah, that stuff. Both of it, of course. Quite essential if you want to enjoy old school action games without having to do so in the originally required single 2+ hour session.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:40 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
xyzyxx wrote:The other thing is that the device doesn't recognize the Y button while the B button is held down. Pressing B and Y together is essential for all platforming games on the SNES.
Yikes. That better not be a hardware limitation, like some of the stuff you get on PC keyboards.
People on the forums are saying it's an issue with the firmware.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:03 pm

So I was at an airshow at the weekend, first time ever, not really my thing I thought...but it was fun...

The Typhoon was amazing...[conspiracy theory] exhibiting non-ballistic motion, surely from alien technology [/conspiracy theory]... :wink:
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:29 am

I re-watched the first Terminator movie last night. It is truly depressing how badly the last two movies miss the point.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:34 am

Page 666 is getting closer!
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:56 pm

IE AHM ROBOX
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:04 pm

jelco wrote:However, I'm not sure how much 'missing the point' is applicable here

Missing the point is perhaps not really applicable, I think more correct would be to say the movies fail in upholding what Terminator was.

The original Cameron movies were tense and occasionally scary and even sad. Terminator 3 feels a lot like a parody and Salvation lacks any type of emotional impact (the movie itself had some potential, but was very poorly done).

In other news, I've been playing Crash Bandicoot recently and I would like to say that whoever designed the save system for that game should be kicked out of the industry and, preferentially, exiled to the moon. If he could take the level designers with him would be very nice too *eye twitch*
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:06 pm

jelco wrote:I for one think that T2 deviates so incredibly from the original in style that it's not really sensible to reference them collectively.

I think T1 and T2 were both identical movies in terms of plot and character development – of course the style was different because of the time between the movies.

1. A terminator and a protector are sent back in time.
2. The terminator just misses the target allowing the protector the chance to perform their role.
3. Family and friends are killed by the terminator in an attempt to find the target.
4. The target tries to find out more about their protector.
5. The terminator tracks down the target but can't quite make the kill.
6. When all looks lost, there is a significant event, resulting in the destruction of the terminator.
7. The protector doesn't make it.
8. The target lives.

Now which film am I talking about T1 or T2 :?:
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:59 pm

NeatNit wrote:IE AHM ROBOX

... is a great song ;)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”