I can't play the videos. :|

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Moleculor
level2
level2
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:55 am

I can't play the videos. :|

Postby Moleculor » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:46 am

Ok. The videos. About Subversion. In the blogs. I can't play them. I have the Xvid codec installed (v1.2.1, I believe), but I just get black, or sometimes very corrupted visual stillness. Worse, my video player (MPC) seems to play -past- the end of the time on the file.

No audio either, but I think that's normal.

Does anyone happen to know of a solution? My system's got the CCCP installed too, mostly for MKV files, if that gives you an idea of what I'm used to working with. (I build computers from scratch too, to give you an idea of my technical knowhow.)
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:53 am

Simply put, that sounds like either corrupt drivers or very misconfigured ones. Uninstall the codec pack and reinstall it clean. You could reinstall ffdshow separately, but the codec pack comes with a preconfigured version so it's better to just take the more drastic route and do it all the way. This includes uninstalling completely unrelated things as well, like MPC.

By the way, I think you don't quite get what the CCCP does/is if you say it's "for MKV files". Plus, knowledge of hardware tells little to nothing about knowledge of software. Don't take it as offensive, but this sounds like some precarious bragging. ;)

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
User avatar
Phelanpt
level5
level5
Posts: 1837
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:20 am
Location: Portugal

Postby Phelanpt » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:06 am

There's a program called GSpot that analyzes a video file, and tells you what codecs it uses, and if you have them or not.
User avatar
Pox
level5
level5
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:23 am
Location: Melbourne

Postby Pox » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:34 am

My tip: try VLC. It's the best way around the whole codec-hassle Windows presents... I think the only thing I've found it doesn't play is indeo.
Moleculor
level2
level2
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:55 am

Postby Moleculor » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:42 pm

@jelco: The CCCP is a collection of codecs 'n filters that enable it to translate various esoteric video and audio (and subtitle) formats, usually* contained within MKV container files (which can contain any number of video, audio, and subtitle streams).

Hardware isn't even my forte, it's more software, it just helps to explain to people that yes, I know how to plug my computer in so they don't waste their time giving me explanations or braindead advice about stuff I already understand.

And, eh. I was hoping to not have to rip everything out and start from scratch, but I suppose I'll have to.

(*I asterisk the usually since you seemed to have missed the 'mostly' in my last post.)

@Phelanpt: Yahr, I already ran it through GSpot. The FourCC listed is xvid, as Introversion says. The decoding path however seems to be routing it through my Divx codec. Which -seems- wrong, but I know of no way of forcing it to use a different codec. Plus the file itself doesn't play within GSpot, which is something I've not seen before when it claims to have the correct codec installed. GSpot is usually the one thing out of anything that can play a file as a last resort.

@Pox: VLC automatically decodes anything, without the use of codecs? I'm skeptical. I'll try that first, but I suspect it will give me the same issues MPC gives me. EDIT: FASCINATING. It worked. Bizzare. Very very bizzare. Now I'm curious why VLC works and MPC, WMP, and GSpot couldn't.
Last edited by Moleculor on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
NeatNit
level5
level5
Posts: 2929
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: Israel
Contact:

Postby NeatNit » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:03 pm

VLC has codecs built into it. However, those codecs are only available to VLC itself, making it a very reliable media player, if still too annoying to some.
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Moleculor wrote:@jelco: The CCCP is a collection of codecs 'n filters that enable it to translate various esoteric video and audio (and subtitle) formats, usually* contained within MKV container files (which can contain any number of video, audio, and subtitle streams).

MKV is one of the many containers in use today, alongside others like OGM, MP4, AVI, 3GP, TS and even FLV. (If there is any container you want to pinpoint as the most commonly used one, it's AVI, definitely not MKV.) Containers have nothing to do with codecs, they just store data along with relevant metadata - the codecs handle the data the containers hold, the containers themselves are handled by splitters (or muxers), such as Haali's which is included in the CCCP. (There's also Gabest's for FLV files by the way.)

The fact that the CCCP is the de facto pack to use in a community in which most hi-def distributions are MKV these days (which would be the anime fansubbing scene) does not make the CCCP intended for MKV. Someone who knows their stuff doesn't explain this in great detail preventively; if you are really as knowledgeable about codecs as you want me to believe, you would have known the problem and wouldn't have had to ask us. :P

Once again, no offense, but trying to brag about something with an explanation that has holes like Swiss cheese does not work well to someone who earns money for working with the craziest amalgam of multimedia formats you've ever seen. ;)

EDIT: NeatNit is right, VLC comes with its own set of codecs and muxers. Mostly libavcodec codec-wise, but the muxers are custom-built I believe. As far as the access for other applications to those components goes, it is mostly impossible - with some hacks you can work around it, though I've only managed to get that working with libavcodec so far, not the splitters - if you want to go the more complete way, a pack like CCCP is definitely the way to go.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:15 pm

jelco wrote:...muxers...

Heh. That is a funny word. "Muxers." Heh.

xander
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Postby KingAl » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:21 pm

jelco wrote:NeatNit is right


:o

/me pinches himself
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Moleculor
level2
level2
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:55 am

Postby Moleculor » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:14 pm

@jelco: I apologize for attempting to save time by making sure people understood that I knew of codecs and what they did, and attempting to provide whatever information that might be needed to track the issue down, and in the future will try to keep in mind that you prefer to have your time wasted by people asking questions acting as stupidly as possible.

Srsly, your nitpicking is rather irritating. I said -I- had the CCCP installed FOR THE PURPOSE OF VIEWING MKV FILES. I did not say that CCCP was exclusively and only permitted to be used for said purpose. It's not my fault you've misread both posts I've made, either accidentally or intentionally in an attempt to flaunt your own technical knowhow.

Most people don't install the CCCP to view AVI files. Most people attempting to view MKV files -do- install the CCCP. The word 'usually' does not exclude various other esoteric and far rarer file formats such as flash video or ogg-vorbis media, nor does it exclude other methods by which you may view MKV files (though the folks who do the matroska format do endorse CCCP as I understand it) and I at no point excluded other file formats from my offhand and mention of the various codecs I had installed in an attempt to provide whatever information folks might need to identify the issue.

If it was a bug report with a game, I would have instead mentioned my use of a GeForce 9500 with the 185.85 drivers. Would you then have nitpicked at that statement, saying that I didn't have a GeForce 9500, I had a GeForce 9500 GT, and my failure to mention the extra two letters at the end was an indication of lack of knowledge on my part? Because that's pretty much the same thing you're doing here.

Irritating. More irritating than the process of having to uninstall every codec I have installed. Which was not something I thought I'd have to do, since this has been an issue in two separate installations of Windows. Both sporting corrupt codecs in exactly the same manner that prevent me from viewing ONLY these particular videos and no other, not even other videos encoded with xvid? Seriously strange.
User avatar
jelco
level5
level5
Posts: 6018
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Cygnus X-1
Contact:

Postby jelco » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Alright, I told you I didn't mean it as offensive, so I don't think I need to repeat that. If anyone's misreading posts here, it's you. The reason I mentioned the list of other files is because the way you put it, it seemed like you were pointing out the CCCP is intended mainly for playing MKV files. The only reason I went on to explain that this is not the case is because it seemed to me like you were having a slightly overambitious view of your own knowledge on codecs and I was just setting it straight. I can see how nitpicks can be annoying but it's not my fault if you fail to see the sarcasm of the post, even if my use of smileys should be a dead giveaway.

The comparison with videogames and drivers isn't very logical. If you'd just have said you have the CCCP installed, that's exactly enough. I just posted what I posted because the additional info you gave (explaining your technical know-how) gave me the impression you were trying to introduce yourself as someone who knows enough about the subject but asks help anyway.

Don't take this post as criticism, just like you shouldn't have taken the previous posts as criticism. In the previous posts I merely pointed out some minor flaws in your statements in a jokingly fashion, and in this post I'm explaining my methods for doing so because your tone in your last posts seems like you were interpreting them as full-frontal assaults on my part to you.

Moleculor wrote:Irritating. More irritating than the process of having to uninstall every codec I have installed. Which was not something I thought I'd have to do, since this has been an issue in two separate installations of Windows. Both sporting corrupt codecs in exactly the same manner that prevent me from viewing ONLY these particular videos and no other, not even other videos encoded with xvid? Seriously strange.

I never said you have to uninstall every codec separately. I just said that you have to uninstall the entire pack, and added that line of every single codec because this is one of those uninstallers that allows you to pick the elements you want to uninstall. Uninstalling every codec separately will work, but it takes way more time than you'd need (and want) to spend on it.

By the way, that last piece of info could have been more useful if you'd said it earlier (to return your comment about including every detail - yes this is something that's interesting). However because we already know that VLC plays it correctly, it's definitive that it's a problem with either the codecs, muxers or players involved so a reinstall of the CCCP is really the best way to go. It can easily be misconfigured or corrupt on both systems.

Bottom line: Try not to take every post personally and not to feel attacked by everyone who uses sarcasm. Text-only communication makes many posts come across as offensive, it just takes some getting used to to actually understand which of them are offensive and which of them aren't. Welcome to the Internet.

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."

- Douglas Adams
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:53 pm

It should also be pointed out that when you come to a forum asking for technical advice, and you say things that don't make sense, you are going to get treated like an idiot. It is better to give us less information than confusing information. Of course, it is always best to give a lot of good quality information. In that regard, report what you did (In this case, you had installed the CCCP. Period. End of Story.). Don't bother with why. No one cares, and it makes Jelco pissy.

xander
User avatar
The GoldFish
level5
level5
Posts: 3961
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:01 pm
Location: Bowl / South UK
Contact:

Postby The GoldFish » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:20 pm

I think it's actually quite common for IV videos to seem to be unplayable; they're more finicky than your average xvid encoded video stream. I think usual advice is, if you have a problem, try VLC. It's so low impact and tends to sort out most problems, it's just easier than trying to find out the real problem and dealing with it (in this case, possibly old or finicky xvid codecs). I'm pretty sure it's one of those "it's not me, it's you" moments.

I think if you'd just been given that advice from the start, everyone would have been better off.
User avatar
Phelanpt
level5
level5
Posts: 1837
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:20 am
Location: Portugal

Postby Phelanpt » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:41 am

Moleculor wrote:Plus the file itself doesn't play within GSpot, which is something I've not seen before when it claims to have the correct codec installed. GSpot is usually the one thing out of anything that can play a file as a last resort.

I had that once, but can't remember how I fixed it.

I'll try VLC the next time I have codec problems. Which I'm guessing will be soon. :p

Return to “Introversion Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests