Charles Robert Darwin - Natural Selection

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
martinmir
level2
level2

Charles Robert Darwin - Natural Selection

Postby martinmir » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:24 pm

We would like to give homage to a strong inspiration for Introversion Software and I am sure the rest of the world. Let us put our hands together and celebrate another year passing for Charles Darwin beyond the grave and his ground breaking theory of evolution.

Darwinia and Multiwinia were inspired by this man and his thoughts, which were once considered complete madness and by some still are.

Find out more about the legend himself at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Darwin

Food for thought.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Three cheers for Darwin and his wonderful Theory!

Now if we can just shut those creationists up.....
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:40 pm

But... but... but... You are several hours early! His birthday isn't until tomorrow. :(

Oh, well, might as well join the party.

xander
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:41 pm

To be realistic, Darwin didn't created the Theory of Evolution, he created the Theory of Natural Selection that explains the mechanisms behind evolution.

The "theory" of evolution is old (dating back to at least the ancient greeks, I believe) and for the most part it's taken by the scientific community as fact (bar a very few).

So in a way it amuses me that Darwin receives so much flak and is at the center of so much creationist/evolution debate when he was just the guy that showed how evolution could happen.

But yes, yay for Darwin and his theory!

EDIT: xander, it's the 12th on Australia >.>
ynbniar
level5
level5

Re: Charles Robert Darwin - Natural Selection

Postby ynbniar » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:23 pm

Oooh...nice image...the talented and modest (or should that be modestly talented?) person who came up with that deserves a prize... :lol:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:13 pm

Whenever I think of Darwin, his ship reminds me of Snoopy.
Imperius Rex
level1
level1

Postby Imperius Rex » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:01 am

Rkiver wrote:Three cheers for Darwin and his wonderful Theory!

Now if we can just shut those creationists up.....

Oh its not even those any more... now there are new earthers :| seriously WTF is this crap.. I had a co-worker of mine (a computer technician mind you) seriously tell me that the Earth is no more then 4,000 years old.
~~Only Two Things Are Infinite: The Universe & Human Stupidity; And I'm Not Sure About The Universe~~
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:07 am

No debate over which came first? The chicken or the egg?

It only goes to reason the egg came first being chickens are born from eggs. A mutated fertilization of some fowl creature spawned the first "chicken egg". The egg was then laid and incubated to birth the first chicken. It only makes sense how evelotution is supposed to work. Just like the regular cat that gave birth to the 4 eared cat. It's all by mutation. So since chickens birth via laid eggs, and birds in general lay eggs... The non chicken layed the mutated "chicken" egg prior to there ever being a chicken.

How is that argument dismissed?

I do not know how one can reason the chicken came before the egg being that all fowl lay eggs and come from eggs.
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
Imperius Rex
level1
level1

Postby Imperius Rex » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:26 am

TomCat39 wrote:No debate over which came first? The chicken or the egg?

It only goes to reason the egg came first being chickens are born from eggs. A mutated fertilization of some fowl creature spawned the first "chicken egg". The egg was then laid and incubated to birth the first chicken. It only makes sense how evelotution is supposed to work. Just like the regular cat that gave birth to the 4 eared cat. It's all by mutation. So since chickens birth via laid eggs, and birds in general lay eggs... The non chicken layed the mutated "chicken" egg prior to there ever being a chicken.

I do not know how one can reason the chicken came before the egg being that all fowl lay eggs and come from eggs.

Well I am a firm believer in the Primordial soup school of though towards evolution, so neither the chicken nor the egg came first, or rather they both came at the same time. I can't for the life of me ever buy into something that says we just came to be with a snap of a finger. If God apparently created man, then who created God? its all circular logic IMO.
~~Only Two Things Are Infinite: The Universe & Human Stupidity; And I'm Not Sure About The Universe~~
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:42 am

TomCat39 wrote:No debate over which came first? The chicken or the egg?

Assuming of course that chickens don't reproduce asexually, this is certainly true ;)
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:53 am

I thought it was proven eithout a single doubt in Sam & Max episode 204 that the chicken would have came first, but it was replaced by an egg a short while before the universe exploded.
Major Cooke
level4
level4

Postby Major Cooke » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:05 pm

...And yet, evolution continues to allow us to gain success because Leeroy Jenkins is no longer a cause of serious griefing engines in raids on Nefarian's Lair.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Dinosaurs were laying eggs long before there were chickens. Hence, the egg came first. Duh.

xander
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:33 pm

If you ask me, it's just a really bad semantics exercise.
Imperius Rex
level1
level1

Postby Imperius Rex » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:51 pm

Well its within all possibility that the creationists created the chicken & the egg debate to confuse and try to eventually discredit the evolutionists :P their nutty like that

Return to “Introversion Lounge”