"ETA-to-Target" Counter for nukes

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Would You like an "ETA-to-Target" Counter for nukes?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:18 am

Yes, ASAP!
40%
Yes, but only as a server variable...
55%
No!
No votes
I don't really care...
5%

Total votes: 85
Oryhara
level0

Postby Oryhara » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:40 am

Personally I don't think this would actually affect the game all that much, but it'd still be damn cool. *Signs the server variable option*
mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:08 am

ETA to target, while close to what the game needs, is not it. What the game needs is a tool for coordinated, Time-on-Target attacks from multiple launchers (bombers/subs/silos).
Oryhara
level0

Postby Oryhara » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:38 am

mxlm wrote:ETA to target, while close to what the game needs, is not it. What the game needs is a tool for coordinated, Time-on-Target attacks from multiple launchers (bombers/subs/silos).

Now that is an awesome idea. It's damn hard to try to work out a perfectly coordinated attack manually.
Freyar
level2
level2

Postby Freyar » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:58 am

It'd definately be something that would be usefull. It wouldn't be too hard to cue multiple silos for one target in my mind.
Phrage
level3
level3
Location: With a nuclear warhead aimed at Washington from my super secret Nuclear Bunker at 22 Pimpleton Ave

Postby Phrage » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:53 pm

I can completely see how a ETA could be rly useful. For instance I've planned brilliant attacks only to have them thwarted as the nukes were so far apart. Maybe its just experience but how would showing how many seconds it would take the nuke to hit the target when targetting ruin or damage the game?
^^Another amazing comment/statement/question/answer/joke/insult/compliment^^
(delete as appropriate)
Ambush
level0

Postby Ambush » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:44 pm

I like this idea sounds really interesting.

I would also like to be able to see where incoming nukes are going to strike. Or atleast the probability impact zones. The radar's should be able to do that as well I would think, and it really wouldnt change the game any.
Xine
level0

Postby Xine » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:13 pm

mxlm wrote:ETA to target, while close to what the game needs, is not it. What the game needs is a tool for coordinated, Time-on-Target attacks from multiple launchers (bombers/subs/silos).

No offense, but I think that's a dire idea. While we're at it, why not just add a tool that does everything for you, so that you don't need to play at all? :)

Timing your attacks, in my opinion, is part of the challenge of the game. Removing this challenge would detract from the game - simple as that.

The idea that the thread initially put forward - an ETA to target counter - isn't as bad, since that would still leave the player with some work to do. I don't envision it being implemented, though... it would look nice, but I doubt the developers want to simplify their game.
paramite12
level0

Postby paramite12 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:30 pm

"No offense, but I think that's a dire idea. While we're at it, why not just add a tool that does everything for you, so that you don't need to play at all?"

They already have that, it's the rolling demo. :D

They should make it so you can do a coordinated attack with a fleet of subs. Basically you can either tell each sub individually or can use them as a group. That might be a bit over powered though as you can't possibly shoot down all 5 nukes at once.
Lionel Mandrake
level2
level2

Postby Lionel Mandrake » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:42 pm

I'd support this, but only as an optional server thing. It'd just add a little bit more atmosphere to the simulation, I'm certain. Or, instead, I have a better idea...

Have a timer on the warheads when they're in flight, but not before they're launched. Keep your mouse cursor over it and watch the countdown!
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:49 pm

Phrage wrote:I can completely see how a ETA could be rly useful. For instance I've planned brilliant attacks only to have them thwarted as the nukes were so far apart. Maybe its just experience but how would showing how many seconds it would take the nuke to hit the target when targetting ruin or damage the game?

Supposedly because it makes coordinating attacks too easy. I just don't see it though. I don't think it would help that much, especially if there's no counter for nukes already in the air (as I misunderstood in my earlier post). To use this feature effectively, you would need to be constantly watching the clock to see how many seconds have passed since you launched the last nuke so you can time the next one perfectly. This doesn't sound fun to me.

How about this instead: Show the proposed missile trajectory path when you hover over a potential nuke target? This would accomplish something similar in that you would be able to better estimate simultaneous attacks (but you're still estimating yourself, without a clock). Plus, you would never be surprised by unexpected curved missile detours into unfriendly territory.
mxlm
level1
level1

Postby mxlm » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:22 pm

Timing your attacks, in my opinion, is part of the challenge of the game. Removing this challenge would detract from the game - simple as that.

It's part of the challenge of the user interface. I'd rather be challenged by the other players than the GUI.
Xine
level0

Postby Xine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:09 am

mxlm wrote:

It's part of the challenge of the user interface. I'd rather be challenged by the other players than the GUI.

That's a fair point, but there's a difference between an accessible GUI and total automation. If everyone had a GUI that could launch a perfectly simultaneous nuclear attack on whichever target you picked, from multiple sources, at the push of a button - I'd then be inclined to think that you were being challenged by the other GUIs, not the players. :)
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:13 am

I'd think of it as 3 digits, counting from 999 to 000 where its actually 100.0% ( then ) 99.9% to 00.0% ( or 0% )

Because if you take into account the various game speeds, seconds would have to be recalculated every speed change, and it would be hard to consider in comparasion.

Therefore a percentage countdown would be appropriate!
Lionel Mandrake
level2
level2

Postby Lionel Mandrake » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:27 am

Well, make the timer only when the missile is in flight - on mouseover - and it will add atmosphere without changing gameplay! Besides, how much more tense will it be to see the interceptor missiles swarming around your nuclear warhead and seeing the time ticking down agonizingly slowly as it nears a juicy target?
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:36 am

Yes, on mouse over, that sounds about right. ( Or when selected? )

Or a mini timer could decide to appear when the nukes came within 10% of its distance to travel. :)
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"

Return to “General”