Subversion, make your guess!

It's all in your head

Moderators: jelco, bert_the_turtle, DTNC Vicious

Cyan.
level3
level3

Subversion, make your guess!

Postby Cyan. » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:09 pm

Tell me what you think Subversion will be about and how the gameplay will be and win a free copy of this game! No kiddin I'll buy you a copy if it's out and you have won this contest (assuming it won't cost anymore then 60 bucks).

Be as much eleborate as you can, this contest will end as soon as Chris pronounced himself where this game will be about, the one who got closest to the actual gameplay will win!
rus|Mike
level5
level5

Postby rus|Mike » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:35 pm

My wild guess (didn't pay much attention to the blog) will be an infiltration simulator. Chris payed so much attention to stuff like cameras and computer systems inside the buildings and possible ways to make a way through them :shock:
Culex
level1
level1

Postby Culex » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:51 pm

This thread will go into nonsense very soon.

I guess it'll at least contain elements of a roguelike.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:18 pm

Aww, but the nonsense!

You are a simply just another guy with a Masters degree in relevant-to-the-job-but-not-the-game, doing your normal duties with your normal colleagues when suddenly HOLY SHIT ALIEN INVASION. Finding the crowbar the company keeps for opening all those crates of printer paper, you fight your way to find any survivors, discovering that crazy proprietorial lady holding the vast majority of the forces back with pepper spray and an umbrella. As she falls, you arm yourself with her highly illegal Czechoslovakian tazer when suddenly OMFG MI5!! They're covering it all up! What is that 'all'? You find out! In basement 27, you find that the senior partners are in fact LORDS OF TEH MULTIVERSE... but you kick their asses in about 5 shots.

Subversion's meant to contain aspects of the first three games, so it's probably in part a strategy game of limited resources with efforts to take down the opposition in ways that even if they know it's you, they can't prove it.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:08 pm

Frogger on a scale never before conceived.
Also, automatic doors open when you pass them.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:20 pm

It's an open-world Incredible Machine, but with more awesome.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Cube, it's Cube people, what don't you understand?
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:39 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:Cube, it's Cube people, what don't you understand?

Nah, that was Portal.
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 am

Disaster simulation
garnan
level0

Postby garnan » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:06 am

A Cold War Spy game is my best guess.
tabasco boy
level5
level5

Postby tabasco boy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:24 am

just curious if subversion will run on windows 7 when i comes out :roll: and i meant reliably.
Eating without Tabasco® Sauce is like a computer without a OS.
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:16 am

*crosses fingers* Procedural, fully modable, reactive, programmable and slightly randomized Katamari map generator.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:52 am

tabasco boy wrote:just curious if subversion will run on windows 7 when i comes out :roll: and i meant reliably.

Ask Microsoft and your video card manufacturer ;) As with Vista, driver support for OpenGL will be the main determining factor, which isn't something IV can control.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!

Ultimate Uplink Guide

Latest Patch
rhjiv
level0

its FLEXIBLE

Postby rhjiv » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 pm

After reviewing the Chris's BLOGS regarding the parametric design approach, the obvious attention to subtleties of mechanics, electronics and modules contained within, object level scripting and I am sure some amount of physics and polygon deformation (limited). What we have is an environment creator that can underlay virtually any type of goal oriented game play in an (albiet) urban environment.

Set your locations of tasks/objectives, mix in some baddies as obstacles, set a countdown timer to add anxiety to the goal gather. In multiplayer/coop it could make for a great fox & hound style play across a contaminated city (or any zombie/omega man/escape from NY theme movie) regardless of whether you may come in contact with one another.

I guess my point is that it is nice to see a developer make the investment to developing a modular design structure for players to create with and enhance via scripting. Having played (underscore played) with CRYEngine, Hammer and the Quake/Unreal Editors over the years it is amazing to see how far they have come (FarCry2/DURIA Editor is like PAINTING and super simple to design with).

Shooters have their fun but replaying can be limited add some good AI and a random objective generator - and you have a new game each time you start. Random objective gets rid of the Pavlovian response to a regular team/location of obstacles. With COOP and the ability to circumvent various "items" (doors, camera, bridges, etc) other players can't expect everything to work like before - creating another layer of randomness to add to the gameplay.

Anyway, I have rambled long enough - it is just really refreshing to see this level of interaction being developed and I look forward to seeing where it all goes from here - I also wanted to say that I am a fan of simple texture generation like I am seeing. :D
cheesemoo0
level3
level3

Postby cheesemoo0 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:42 pm

You are a handy man for some large corporate entity. One day while fixing a broken door in some bigwig's office you overhear shushed whispers from two men arguing. Something about a vial missing. Don't want to ruin the plot or anything so I will get onto the gameplay. The game is about fixing doors before the zombies can get in.

Return to “Subversion”