Let's go.........RANDOM!

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:10 am

School? Holidays? Some of us work.........
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:22 am

Yeah I do kind of wonder if I should be doing more than watching all the back in blacks on comedy central and making a zoombini shield. But then I realize that I should take advantage of any time I can to do nothing particularly useful.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Rkiver wrote:School? Holidays? Some of us work.........

or study ..............
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
Rkiver
level5
level5

Postby Rkiver » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:33 pm

zjoere wrote:

or study ..............

Trust me, get out into the real world. Studying is piss easy. Try running an entire monitoring department on your own for 10 hours straight, covering server collapses, zone failures, hard ware replacements, and so on.

That's what I'm doing right now.
Uplink help: Read the FAQ
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:41 pm

Rkiver wrote:
zjoere wrote:

or study ..............

Trust me, get out into the real world. Studying is piss easy. Try running an entire monitoring department on your own for 10 hours straight, covering server collapses, zone failures, hard ware replacements, and so on.

That's what I'm doing right now.

Pfft! That's not work. You'd have to add a demanding wife (perhaps that's redundant?), some kids (plural), and at least one extra regular non-work, non-family related activity. Then you're getting there. :P

10 hours? That's a standard work day. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:58 pm

I just beat the final boss of I Wanna Be The Guy because of a random slowmo glitch (Read: random instance of too much CPU use on its own part). I'm not sure whether to appreciate this in its fullest, or take the fall (Spoiler: [size=0]You can die during the end credits. This *is* I Wanna Be The Guy, after all[/size]).

Real life morality issues? Never heard of them.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:02 pm

The game has four difficulty settings: Medium, Hard, Very Hard, and Impossible. The salient difference between difficulty settings is the number of save points available throughout the game, from 62, to 41, to 22, to none at all. Also, while playing on Medium mode, The Kid's hair has a pink bow in it, and any save points exclusive to Medium difficulty are labeled "WUSS" instead of "SAVE".

Hehe, I'll have to try this game some day. :P
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Am I the only one who thinks working is way easier and more relaxed than (college level) studying? :?

Mind you, I don't work 10 hours a day (I usually work some 8 to 9, although admittedly I'm probably the one who works the least)
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:11 pm

Xocrates wrote:Am I the only one who thinks working is way easier and more relaxed than (college level) studying? :?

Mind you, I don't work 10 hours a day (I usually work some 8 to 9, although admittedly I'm probably the one who works the least)

Nah, I'm with you, work is generally easier than college study. With work you know what youhave to do and you do it. With study you have to figure it all out aka learn. With work, they let you retry until you get it figured. With study, you just get pooor marks if you don't get it right the first time. With work, you leave it there once you punch that clock and go home (usually). With study, there is plenty more to study at home. Even long days at work are usually shorter than long days of study.
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:42 pm

TomCat39 wrote:
Xocrates wrote:Am I the only one who thinks working is way easier and more relaxed than (college level) studying? :?

Nah, I'm with you, work is generally easier than college study. With work you know what youhave to do and you do it. With study you have to figure it all out aka learn. With work, they let you retry until you get it figured. With study, you just get pooor marks if you don't get it right the first time. With work, you leave it there once you punch that clock and go home (usually). With study, there is plenty more to study at home. Even long days at work are usually shorter than long days of study.

It really depends upon what you do for a living. For instance, I think that teaching is easier than school (I know the material, and only have to convey it to students). However, it is much more time consuming than studying -- 8 hours spent in the classroom every day, plus an hour or two every evening grading papers, plus more time on the weekend. Not to mention other work related activities, like "parent nights," home visits, and attending student performances.

xander
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:47 pm

Studying's easier, because I can do all my work outside of lectures in the comfort of either the pub or the Students' Union. Actually, thinking about it, the pub is far more likely. Or, failing either of those if I can't be bothered to get out of bed I can do it there. (With a great big :P to Ace on Thursdays)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:50 pm

:lol:

Ahem, I make sure to get my work done. :wink: In fact, I do more than most (in my dept), with less time. Otherwise, Thursday wouldn't happen the way it does. On a good note, I might be able to work from home next Tuesday if my dept get's it's work done before Monday's deadline, and we're currently on track.
TomCat39
level3
level3

Postby TomCat39 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:35 pm

xander wrote:
TomCat39 wrote:

It really depends upon what you do for a living. For instance, I think that teaching is easier than school (I know the material, and only have to convey it to students). However, it is much more time consuming than studying -- 8 hours spent in the classroom every day, plus an hour or two every evening grading papers, plus more time on the weekend. Not to mention other work related activities, like "parent nights," home visits, and attending student performances.

xander

The full time student usually has the same issue. 8 hours of classes, then 4+ hours of homework, researching and/or studying. And many a weekend loss to cram sessions or essay writing.

It's true though, it really does make a difference by what you do for a living. Many executives work 70+ hours a week, let alone the time at home with the ol' blackberry.....
"Now, stop being a douche to the newbie, and run along."

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:49 pm

/me is off to Portugal (Lisbon, to be precise) in about 12 hours. Don't destroy the internet without me!
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:00 pm

jelco wrote:
bert_the_turtle wrote:/me is off to Portugal (Lisbon, to be precise) in about 12 hours. Don't destroy the internet without me!

I think Xocrates and/or Phelanpt live somewhere in that area. You should go visit!

Jelco

... and try not to break the internet whilst you visit them. :P

Return to “Introversion Lounge”