Escape From TWG: Everybody Dies

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:57 pm

Hmm, order eh? If you see that being part of the puzzle. :P
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:35 pm

Wasn't that camel supposed to wait outside? Uurrgh, those beast stink.

Xocrates wrote:Hmm... continuing that line of thought, it appears to me (though I can't verify at this point) that A could be made with two "I"s and one "D". Which would leave with only "C" and "F" not combining into, or being obtained from combination any other shape.
Two D's, and you have to scale them. Also ignoring scale difference, three Ds make one I. F has a 2:3 side length ratio (and can therefore be built with 12 Ds if you really want) and C is completely odd. So if the criterion is "the only shape that can't be build by other shapes" the answer would be C, after some stretching and ignoring the fact that it can of course be put to gether in arbitrary approximation with enough Ds too.
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Jamal the llama suddenly starts making a racket in the empty corner after having stared at the room and celing for several hours. His owner tries to calm him down and starts talking to him again, nodding at his undecipherable noise. After several moments, he opens a bag on the animal's back and takes out a bag of flour.
Ignoring the gazes of the scholars, he cuts it open with his travel knife and walks over to the nearest snake effigy. He turns to match the line of sight of the heads while pouring a distinct line of powder along the floor of the tomb. Turning right at each statue and reaching the next, the guide momentarily reaches his origin again.

As the people look at the man's handiwork, they start to notice a similarity between that and some of the shapes on the ceiling...

--------------------

Ok, enough roleplay. So I had a little revelation while thinking about the significance of the snakes. Then I thought, if we 'combine' the sight of each snake in the 4 corners of the (assuming regular) pentagonal room, it forms a shape not unlike a trapezoid:

So the key is the trapezoid, in this theory. But wait, there's 2 sizes of trapezoid on the lock. So let's see what else we have: The snake statues have 5 heads each. What else has a total of 5? Oh look, the smaller of the trapezoids!

So, who wants to volunteer? :P
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:26 pm

Are the triangles of identical base length of significance?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:34 pm

Unfortunately, the angles at the bottoms of the trapezoids are 60 degrees, while in a regular pentagon you'll find 72 degrees. And my boss says the ancient Sum.. Baa... whoever lived here were experts in geometry. Nevertheless, this would be the second best solution.

Mas: they don't have the same base length, there are three or four pixels missing.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:29 pm

Well, we can't sit around here forever, and I'm running out of water to wash that stinking camel with. I suggest we lift mibias up there to press some buttons. I already played with them, so what's the worst thing that could happen?

Possible solutions worked out so far, most likely to be correct first. IMHO of course:
E1-E4. One in each column, the only five sided shape, four total arranged in almost a square, a combination of two other shapes each.
G1-G5. Five shapes, shaped a bit like the five headed snakes shape (assuming the room is close to a regular pentagon).
F1,F2,F4,F5. Distribution of shapes looks similar to the shape itself, possibly similar to the snake arrangement.
C1-C4. The only shapes that can't be seen as a combination of other shapes or part of such a combination if you ignore scaling.

Edited for correction of the G scheme.
Last edited by bert_the_turtle on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LLamaBoy
level5
level5

Postby LLamaBoy » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:21 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:G1-G4. Four shapes, shaped a bit like the five headed snakes shape (assuming the room is close to a regular pentagon).

Small alteration to this process, I think we should press all 5 of the shapes, one for each head on the snakes. It wouldn't make sense to leave one out, and besides, how would we pick the one to omit?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Oh, right :)
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:47 pm

I'm finding the first two options the more likeable, but naturally I'm not too inclined taking on a 50-50 stab at it.

I would however think that the number of shapes and the number of snakes ought to match up, rather than the edges and snakes. Shapes and snakes are entities, edges and heads are sections. You would think the metaphor would retain this.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:33 pm

Note: This is where some of you that may not feel like they contribute can step up and volunteer to be killed by boo, er "solve" the puzzle. :P

Seriously though, that was a joke (and a real suggestion for those that are quiet and haven't felt the ability to add to the solution), do not read anything into it.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:37 pm

Well I'm not risking my live for you sods! I suggest we just throw that camell up against the ceiling.
You're so vain, you probably think this sig is about you
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Are you sure you just want to push a few? I mean what about the ability to move them about? Surely that comes into the solution too... :?: What with the 'combine', 'only one', 'come together' business and all you know.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:59 pm

Code: Select all

Task: Determine which shape/s need to be pushed in, to "unlock" the door above and open the path to freedom. You must be specific in which shape/s and how many.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 pm

Reeking of single malt whiskey, ynbniar leaps on the shoulders of LLamaBoy...

"Enough of this jibber jabber...unless anyone has any better suggestions, in 5 mins, I'm pressing the G1-G5 symbols and I'll see you all in Hell :!: "
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:25 pm

Finishing off the dregs of whiskey, ynbniar looks up at the strange symbols...

"You bastards were supposed to talk me out of it..."

SOLVE

Press G1,2,3,4, and 5

[size=0]Are we doomed Captain Mainwaring?[/size]

Return to “Introversion Lounge”