Save Multiwinia

The only place you'll ever hear the truth
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:29 am

I don't think that I read any articles online or on the internet in the week leading up to the release of this game. I'm also a big follower of news anyways, so I consider myself a fair judge on what was well covered, and what was not.

I think this game would have been a good July or August release. MGS4 would have been dying down, and the torrent of Winter games would not have been competing with Multiwinia for your attention and money. The biggest release at the time was Soul Calibur 4. The other big sellers that month was wii fit, and mario kart. Since wii games don't often compete with IV's market base, they would have probably been okay releasing then.

Of course, if the game wasn't finished, then this is all moot.
faemir
level1
level1

Postby faemir » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:41 pm

I would try it but I don't see a linux version yet :(
RabidZombie
level5
level5

Postby RabidZombie » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:43 pm

Play the demo in wine (and if it runs well, you can even buy it), and when the client gets released, you can download the linux binary and use your key with that.

If, of course, that will be supported.
Culex
level1
level1

Postby Culex » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:08 am

If you use OSS (No matter if the deprecated Kernel-OSS or the new OSSv4) you need to install ALSA. The Wine driver for OSS screws up.

The Performance of Multiwinia in Wine isn't exactly the same. MW uses already much resources and Wine uses some as well, but I don't know the specifics.

By the way, is the Linux version already at beta state or still in the middle of the development?
Pox
level5
level5

Postby Pox » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:08 am

There's certainly been no external beta testing yet... I think I read (and if not, I predict ;)) that they're planning on getting the modding/map transfer patch out the door, and any last bugs ironed out, and then they'll start on the port.
Radio Team Madison
level0

Postby Radio Team Madison » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi everyone, my name is Jennifer and I am a member of Team Madison, the crew who broadcast the "Radio Team Madison" Show. We will review Multiwinia in our next show on Saturday 01.11. (on Radio Ostfriesland), on Thursday 27.11. (on Radio Jade) and at the end of month also on Radio SAEK. We calculate with about 100.000 listeners pro show. Let us know if there is anything which we can do to support Introversion.
The GoldFish
level5
level5

Postby The GoldFish » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:33 pm

Sooo, how is this going? Have sales started to pick up?
-- The GoldFish - member of former GIT and commander in chief of GALLAHAD. You could have done something, but it's been fixed. The end. Also, play bestgameever!
pixelvixen707
level0

Postby pixelvixen707 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:52 am

Your game scored a wonderful write-up from me, on my blog http://www.pixelvixen707.com/?p=385#content. Tough luck on the timing - you should tell people that you can play a whole game during the load times for any of the AAA-titles that shipped this fall.
fr4ggdya
level0

Postby fr4ggdya » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:37 pm

November is a pretty full month but i just bought Multiwinia on Steam and i love it! I love Defcon too but didnt really take to Darwinia for some reason. However Multiwinia is sucking me in a bit and is a lot of fun, it was just more engaging right from the off IMO and good value for money.
Bought it after reading over the review in Total PC Gaming. Anyway best of luck Intro :)

Chris - please tell me, is Subversion about spying? :/
harryman100
level0

Linux

Postby harryman100 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:57 pm

As a big fan of Introversion and their games, I've played the demo of multiwinia, and I've NOT bought the game.

Seriously guys, what happened to the linux versions of your games?

Multiwinia currently has no mac or linux versions. Which means I'm stuck twiddling my thumbs. Looking for games which work on linux was what introduced me to introversion (in the days of uplink). I bought Darwinia the moment the linux version was released, I bought Defcon the moment the linux version was released. I will buy Multiwinia as soon as the linux version is released.

I'm wondering how many people are aware of introversion and multiwinia, but haven't even played the demo because there is no linux version?
xander
level5
level5

Re: Linux

Postby xander » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:20 pm

harryman100 wrote:Seriously guys, what happened to the linux versions of your games?

Live with it. IV is a small company, and doesn't have infinite resources. It takes time to port a game from Windows to Linux or Mac. I know that the Mac version is coming right along (I have a beta version at the moment), and I am sure that IV are working as hard as they can on the Linux version. IV have a choice -- they can release the Win version first, then release ports when they are done, or they could delay the release of the Win version until the other versions are done. Given that Mac and Linux users make up only a small percentage of the total sales of any of IV's games, surely you can understand why there might be a delay?

I would also have you note that it was two months after the Windows release of Darwinia that there was a Mac release, and another month or so after that before a Linux release. Defcon experienced a 7 month delay. Have a little patience, eh?

harryman100 wrote:I'm wondering how many people are aware of introversion and multiwinia, but haven't even played the demo because there is no linux version?

As I said above, Linux users make up only a small percentage of total sales. I don't know the exact numbers, because IV don't release information like that, but I would be willing to bet that it is a very small percentage. Thus, to answer your question, probably less than 100.

xander
harryman100
level0

Postby harryman100 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Have a little patience, eh?

My post was not intended to come over impatient - my point is just that I'm not going to pay money until I can play it on one of my computers.
the4ce
level1
level1

Postby the4ce » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:24 pm

Hmm...I don't really know but this may help.

http://www.winehq.org

I found this software in an article from a magazine...I haven't read the article yet and I don't know if this will work... :?
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:07 pm

the4ce wrote:Hmm...I don't really know but this may help.

http://www.winehq.org

I found this software in an article from a magazine...I haven't read the article yet and I don't know if this will work... :?

Hmm...I don't really know but reading the thread might help. :P

jelco wrote:As you might note when you read around a bit, the demo seems to run fine in Wine - as far as I know it does have the occasional hiccups but that didn't stop several people from buying the full version to run it in Wine. Also, as far as I know, the Windows and Linux versions have always been one package, which means that you can buy the Windows version now and run it in Wine (as much as it allows you to) and when the Linux version comes out you'll be able to download that one and activate it with your Windows key immediately.

I will say at this point that I myself do not have a Linux box and haven't tried running it in Wine. I'll also say that, while the above may be so, there are indeed probably a lot of people who don't know about it and are hence (like you) not trying/buying the game.

Jelco
the4ce
level1
level1

Postby the4ce » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:16 am

Sorry for spamming then... :(

Return to “Introversion Blog”