Escape From TWG: Everybody Dies

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:17 am

Lothur observes that rotation will be needed for the pieces.
Lothur also wonders how a 5-sided room has 4 corners to have snakes in, and moves to the 5th corner to see if there is a reason for it being ignored by the creators.
Lothur gives the crazy old local man a good whack with the flat of his axe while moving to the 5th corner.
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:21 am

Shwart!! wrote:Lothur also wonders how a 5-sided room has 4 corners to have snakes in, and moves to the 5th corner to see if there is a reason for it being ignored by the creators.

I think if you look a bit closer you'll see that the snakes are located on the 4 corners of the sarcophagus not the corners of the room...

EDIT
I've just read it again and you might be correct...strange room this...
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:24 am

Lothur points out that the snakes are in corners, not on corners.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:28 am

Shwart!! wrote:Lothur gives the crazy old local man a good whack with the flat of his axe while moving to the 5th corner.

The local wise man dispenses some sage wisdom:

Lothur better sleep with his eyes open...
TheRileyDuo
level1
level1

Postby TheRileyDuo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:27 am

Hmm... Combine in to what? that is the question. The first guess that comes to mind is a snake. But that may be a trick!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:48 am

I hope you all had fun peeking under my skirt. I'm especially looking at the local old man!
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:35 pm

Frankly, I can't believe my luck that you let me put you on my shoulders that way around.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:15 pm

*Xocrates, envoy from the World Society For The Study of Voweless Kings (or WSFTVK for short) wipes some sweat from his forehead and says*

Guys, if I may suggest an alternate point of view: I have been studying the symbols, and thinking about the meaning of that Elamite word. Now, the word, that so far seems our only clue, could mean "combine", "only one", or "come together". If we take the word to mean the first, last, or all three meaning simultaneously, I would expect that we would need to fit some, or all of the pieces together.
But what if the real meaning is the second: "Only one"?

I've noticed that among all the symbols only two seem to appear on all four columns (the square with the second quadrant missing and the weird trapeze/pyramid thinghy) and of those two the second is the only one that only appears once in each column, although the first seems to form a nice line along all columns.

*erk*

... I don't feel so good.

*Drinks some of his water*
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:40 pm

I'm also leaning towards picking the "only one" meaning. The symbols have too different angles and too different line length to be a jigsaw style puzzle, plus we would not know what shape to put them together to. I was thinking of picking one symbol in each row so that every symbol only gets picked once, but there's 11 rows and 10 symbols, so bummer to that.

And the Envoy's observations are correct. The square with one quadrant missing appears eight times, and I don't think we have enough clues to pick between them. The other church-like symbol appears exactly four times, and has five corners. Four symbols with five corners in a room with five corners and four snakes with five heads. And the symbols ALMOST lie on the corners of a rectangle.

Perhaps now would be a good time for anyone who found further clues around the room to come forward. I definitely won't be climbing up there again, the first time was humiliating enough, and I can't believe you talked me into it ("But you're the lightest of us", haha)
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:59 pm

If you would just listen to us when we say trousers are a vital part of one's attire...

I think a count of each symbol may be desirable.
Last edited by Mas Tnega on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:04 pm

It couldn't be 10 lots of 8 and 1 lot of 4, that makes 84 - we only have 44.

Looks to me like there are 11 unique shapes, each repeated 4 times.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:08 pm

I count at least 8 of one.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:51 pm

And why would I be listening to someone who obviously has zero sense for fashion?

I count: (symbols appearing first when reading left to right, top to bottom first)
4 mirrored tetris L-blocks
5 small symmetric trapezes
4 triangles
4 rectangles with top right missing
8 squares with top right quadrant missing
4 trapezes with the straight edge left
4 church things
2 trapezes with straight edge right
4 big symmetric trapezes
5 upright rectangles
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Hmm, this sarcofagus is interesting...
*looks up*
Oh, someone closed the door?
Why are you all looking up? Hmm...interesting, I wonder if there is a pattern to those shapes up there...
Let me label the symbols with letters...There appears to be 4 of symbol A, 8 of symbol B, 4 of symbol C, D and E, 5 of symbol F and G, 4 of symbol H, 2 of symbol I, and 4 of symbol J.
Here, I've noted them down, check if I'm counting it wrong.
ImageImage

Hmm, it also appears the symbols are split into two columns with two columns each...Could it be a translation table?

*is playing the absent minded professor, quicker to recognize references to an obscure civilization, than see possible danger*

Edit: Damn, out published! (aka Ninja'd)
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:38 pm

I'm just confused, but will have a good old think about it. I may see if anyone down the pub has any ideas either. As far as characters go, my double-hard-bastard mercenary type,* known only as "Hrun" isn't so good at thinking, but wonders whether we could just shoot our way out.

*I'm getting the hang of this fiction lark, aren't I?

Return to “Introversion Lounge”