Connection problems - every game

Technical Support for all Defcon related issues

Moderator: Defcon moderators

medina
level0

Connection problems - every game

Postby medina » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:49 am

I seem to get dropped in pretty much every game I play. Since the game came out I have been able to play one game all the way to the end. I don't have any trouble joining games like some people are experiencing, but once the game starts I get the big red connection problem msg across my screen. Some times it will happen right way, sometimes I will get through most of a game. I have comcast high speed internet (cable modem). Im going through a linksys router, my ports are open, and I have checked the appropirate network settings in game. I have tried hooking up directly to the cable modem and it doesn't make any difference. I don't have this problem with any other games so I don't think its a problem on my end.

Anyone else having similar issues or know if it could be the metaserver being overloaded?
durac
level0

Postby durac » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:55 am

Yea i am having the exact same problem, any help yet??
dana
level0

Postby dana » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:29 pm

Yep, I'm also having this problem - anyone got any advice yet? Is it just that it's too busy? I keep trying to connect after 7pm...?
pantbash
level0

Postby pantbash » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:32 pm

I am also getting this.

Have tried port forwarding on/off.

Alsways seesm to drop half way through.
Usually at about 2 min to Defcon 1

Damnit
sparklepuff
level0

Postby sparklepuff » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:07 am

I am having the exact same problem. I get most of the way through a game, and just when it's getting interesting I time out. I leave the timer counting, but it never returns.

You can't believe how amazing frustrating and annoying it is to invest 30-40 minutes into a game, only to have your connection dropped every time before you're able to finish, or just when things are getting interesting. JHALJHSL!!!#!

I have high speed cable, no connection problems in any other applications and open ports. What the hell.
jungletek
level1
level1

Postby jungletek » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:00 pm

It's the server's upstream you need to worry about... if he can't send the data fast enough, you get lag / drops.

Ever notice the sudden difference in responsiveness sometimes as soon a defcon 3 breaks, and everyone starts shooting? That's why.
medina
level0

Postby medina » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:33 pm

Turning off Avast seems to have helped. I have been able to complete a few games in the last few days.
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:46 pm

medina wrote:Turning off Avast seems to have helped. I have been able to complete a few games in the last few days.

huh? What is Avast ?
---

I'm getting seriously pissed at the lousy quality of hosting today. Either game collapses at Defcon'3, or one of the players will just disconnect because they are suffering lag.

Around 7 out of 10 games now end with chronic lag within the first 30mins.

--
My connection is 8mb, it sure as hell is not my end that is the problem.
I'd love to host games, except the bloody networking issues won't allow me, a cause of either the lousy programming code or the damn stinking metaserver config.

It stinks. Online multiplayer remains a hopeless dream for most players.
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Zarkow
level4
level4

Postby Zarkow » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:50 am

Mighty Santa wrote:I'd love to host games, except the bloody networking issues won't allow me, a cause of either the lousy programming code or the damn stinking metaserver config.

It's not IVs fault your network isn't properly configged at either your end or at the ISPs that you are using.
Ruges
level2
level2

Postby Ruges » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:04 am

I have 2 computers with Defcon installed. With my main comp hosting and the other one joining I notice that the secound one lags allot and gets out of sinc. After doing some poking and proding I realized what was happing was the secound computer was video lagging and stuttering. After playing a bit it would get behind and have to resinc.

So what appeared tobe a connection issue was instead a video lag issue.
Ruges
Guild leader of HoD
82PercentHam
level1
level1

Postby 82PercentHam » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:23 am

I too get almost constant connection proeblems (ranging from every ten to thirty seconds), and the games seems to take about another 10 to 30 secs to register my commands. I tried Router forwarding, but that actually made it worse (game became completely unresponsive to my commands). Please help, I just got the game to get to the menu screen, it would be nice if I could play it too.
medina
level0

Postby medina » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:34 am

Mighty Santa wrote: huh? What is Avast ?

Avast is my antivirus software. I read in another post around here that someone thought their virus scanner was interrupting defcon periodically and causing the connection problems. After turning mine off when I play it seems to work better.
Killenger
level0

Postby Killenger » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:30 pm

I'm afraid that I'm another of the people with this problem. Everything is fine when I play against the AI or in the "lobby", but when I start the game proper I get enormous lag. I have a cable modem with decent download/upload speeds, no router and no other internet applications running simultaneously.

I'm also afraid that I don't yet have a solution, I just want to bring this thread to the attention of someone who does. The really annoying thing about the situation it that I end up inconveniencing anybody I try to play with. Naturally, any help would be appreciated.
Mustardgas
level0

same Problem

Postby Mustardgas » Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:42 pm

I also have this problem, although it doesn´t happen as often as for some people here. What´s really strange is that it happens without warning. No lag, no nothing. One minute the game runs fine (despite heavy action in a game where no shot was fired before defcon 1, and then everything exploded), then the game freezes for a few seconds, then the red "connection problem".
Killenger
level0

Postby Killenger » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:06 am

I've found something interesting. My initial thinking was that my (admittedly poor) video card was not the problem since the game behaved well when I played against the AI.

However, I have done some tests when spectating matches. I looked at the Network Data under Tools and found that both my download and upload speed was around 0.8 kb/s. This is incredibly slow, since with other applications I can get up to 1000 kb/s. As I watched, the sequence message queue filled until I got the familiar high latency warning.

The interesting thing is, when I reduced the graphical details (enable low-detail world, disable smooth-lines, disable water, etc.), I found that the latency dropped to an acceptable level! Now I don't know if the amount of information sent by the network depends on the graphics, or if there is something more subtle going on. But it is a reproducable observation and could be useful to other people with similar problems.

Let me know if this works.

Dr. Killenger

(or it could be what Ruges said)

Return to “Windows Troubleshooting”