London

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Yay, I'm in London! Posting from silly pay terminal at YHA right now. This place isn't that bad actually, it's way better than I expected. But then again, after my experience with the youth hostel in Geneva I guess anything would stand out. :P Fortunately there was no trouble which I half expected after reading last night that minors staying unsupervised would have to call the place directly to make sure the dorms are available (minors can only share with other minors). Instead I have a 4-bed dorm all to myself. :D

Journey wasn't too tiring though I was a little surprised when the Belgium customs guy asked me if I had permission of my parents with me black on white - apparently under 18s are not allowed to travel on their own without permission, but the guy decided to let me go and the British customs guy never asked for it. Hopefully I won't run into trouble with people who aren't letting me go that easily when I return...

Jelco
"The ships hung in the sky much the same way that bricks don't."
- Douglas Adams
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:46 pm

jelco the galactaboy wrote:Hopefully I won't run into trouble with people who aren't letting me go that easily when I return...

That would be fun:

"Do you have permission from your parents to go back to your own country? Well, do you?" ;)
V'Nilla
level0

Postby V'Nilla » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:49 pm

Xocrates wrote:"Do you have permission from your parents to go back to your own country? Well, do you?" ;)

What if one doesn't? :shock: What would they (customs) do? Hold them for unauthorized exit out of a country :?:
Whee!
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:58 am

Yeah, that's as much as I figured, but if they do plan to keep me there I'm going to run into trouble with school. :P

"Why were you absent on Monday morning?" "Because I was in London." "Yeah right."

;)

EDIT: Have exactly one minute remaining on my terminal now, gotta be quick. I'm going to explore the city a bit since some other plans got delayed. deepvisual, here I come. :D

Jelco

- Douglas Adams
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:59 am

I'm getting a train soon!
Greeba
level3
level3

Postby Greeba » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:15 pm

I'd take you to Slimelight, but I've got a plane to catch 8)
"Timmy... fetch me my tools..."
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:45 pm

If you only have one day, you might as well stick to the tourist routes. If you think you have time to visit a museum, either go for the Tate Modern, which is worth it, if you like modern art (obv...), else the science museum, or the V&A depending on your tastes...

The London eye is well worth it if the skies are clear, and the queues are shortish.

There's no harm in any of the walking or bus tours to see the usual sites.

Just don't get ripped off by the crap places. The London Dungeons are not worth it, neither are most of the river cruises unless you have a particular interest in docklands history and investment bankers riverside apartments...

Best place to get a cheap lunch in central London is Gaby's - just near Leciester Swuare Tube Station - very cheap Falaffel and salads to take away

shinygerbil wrote:There's also the natural history museum which isn't bad really :p

Oh and there isn't much to the south*, unless you're also going a bit west and end up somewhere nice like Greenwich. :)

East from London central, surely? Or did I miss that International Convention on the Cardinal Directions?

Greenwich - home to the best pie and mash shop in the city, until a couple of years ago :(
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:20 pm

I am currently on the train to London! Woo, not sure if I'll have the chance to check much out though, I'm going home tomorrow. ^^;
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:46 pm

My train from York arrived in London around 2....
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Trust
level3
level3

Postby Trust » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:51 am

Ah, London mornings. First time been offered sexual favours by a prostitute, that's for certain.
WolfLord
level2
level2

Postby WolfLord » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:40 am

Don't you mean first time accepted?
ynbniar
level5
level5

Postby ynbniar » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:25 pm

Well slight sore head this morning but we made it for a morning bus tour so we saw just about everything.
Lunch in some mexican place, a wee wander through Covent Garden, then a good look around St Pauls.
Paying no heed of impending financial meltdown we spent the rest of our pocket money on tickets for Billy Elliot tonight. :)
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:40 pm

Also, Jelco, what the hell happened to your name? :shock:
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:56 pm

It got improved? ;)
jelco
level5
level5

Postby jelco » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:05 pm

When I introduced myself to Chris yesterday afternoon in the Hamster and he asked for my forum username I noted how the 'galactaboy' bit was actually something I wanted to get rid of. So NeoThermic took me upstairs, nicked Byron's machine (which had no mouse at that time :P) and changed my name. :)

Jelco

- Douglas Adams

Return to “Introversion Lounge”