How did you learn about IV?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:14 pm

I saw uplink in a copy of a freebie games magazine that came as an insert with Edge or PC gamer, bought it and loved it. I admired the artwork on this pretty postcard I got for free in my uplink case and bought darwinia too :)
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Derekristow
level1
level1

Postby Derekristow » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:19 pm

I originally saw Darwinia as a review on Xplay, and thought it was one of the most amazing game I had ever seen. The next day I forgot about it.
Three years later and on the other side of the country, I saw the game in Fry's and thought I might as well get it. Now it is in the top three games I have ever played.
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Derekristow wrote:I originally saw Darwinia as a review on Xplay, and thought it was one of the most amazing game I had ever seen. The next day I forgot about it.
Three years later and on the other side of the country, I saw the game in Fry's and thought I might as well get it. Now it is in the top three games I have ever played.

What are the other two?

-$tanley
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:26 pm

* points at Jelco *
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:56 pm

Back around 2001 or 2002 a PC gaming magazine I subscribed to included the demo for Uplink (it was either Computer Gaming World or Computer Games Magazine).

I lost track of them, then picked them back up shortly before Defcon's release.
elexis
level5
level5

Postby elexis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:14 pm

There was a huge article for darwinia in PC gamer for Darwinia. I played the demo and loved it. The same week I bought Darwinia directly from IV. To this day it remains the only thing I have ever bought over the internet. I tried uplink but never got around to buying it. When defcon came out but I played the demo a lot but got bored quickly (no home internet :( ). Then I noticed the multiwinia release pool and entered it. After that I ended up checking these forums every day.
Shwart!!
level5
level5

Postby Shwart!! » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:18 pm

About 4 years ago, the most gaming I ever did was on my grandparents' Mac. They had this little game called 'Diemos Rising', by Ambrosia SW, which I quite enjoyed. Eventually, I got bored of it, and thus began making mods for it, mods like no other mods previously created for the game.
I started checking the ASW site, submitting a project, getting some feedback, etc. I also saw a little demo on their site for a game called 'Uplink'.
I downloaded it, and found it to be one of the greatest games I'd ever played. I spent countless hours on that little demo.
Note that this is still on my grandparents' Macintosh.
Then I saw, on the same site, a demo for Darwinia. I was getting kinda tired of playing the demos only at my grandparents' house, so I followed the link to the IV site. I downloaded the 'mine' demo, and proceeded to absolutely love it. I modded it too, but never submitted anything I created at that point.
After about a year, I got interested in getting the full game, and began perusing the IV site. Then I learned that they made Uplink too, and Introversion instantly became my favorite game developers.
I joined the forums, and have been here ever since.
I found a box of Darwinia in Frys Electronics one day about a year, maybe more, ago; instantly got it, and have had great times with it.

So the only reason I know of Introversion is because my grandfather got tired of my grandmother gaming on his work computers and bought her her own, which she let me use.
I need to thank him at some point...

Shwart!!
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:22 pm

I use to visit a site called pixelsurgeon.com that daily had graphic design news and links. One day there was a post about a game with weird graphics, I followed the link and came to the Darwinia website. I downloaded the demo, liked it and bought it and uplink.

Lurked in the forums from time to time but didn't register until Defcon as I had an idea for some posters and a weekend where I wasn't doing anything. Kind of hung around from then.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:43 pm

A mate of mine (he's beta testing Multiwinia as Phrage) made an uplink cushion (yes, a cushion :P) at school in our Textiles class. He told me all about Uplink, and also all about Darwinia when that came out. I got the mine level demo, rather liked it, so asked for Darwinia for Christmas. Fast-forward a bit and I pre-ordered Defcon, and eventually bought Uplink. Still don't think Uplink's quite my cup of tea, but I think I've played Darwinia through more than any other single-player game I own!
NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:32 pm

Nutter wrote:Lurked in the forums from time to time but didn't register until Defcon as I had an idea for some posters and a weekend where I wasn't doing anything. Kind of hung around from then.
So it was you who made those! I offer belated compliments for such great art :)

I first heard of them through PCG's Uplink review, though it didn't look like my sort of game. I later read their preview of Darwinia, which looked awesome and was eagerly bought, and I've been a fan ever since. I joined the forum after I bought DefCon to keep up to date with any interesting developments, I'd have joined sooner if I'd not been restricted by dial-up.
Nutter
level3
level3

Postby Nutter » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:26 pm

NukeLord wrote:So it was you who made those! I offer belated compliments for such great art :)

Thanks, much appreciated :D
- Morten
------------------
RedCell.dk
Wasgood
level5
level5

Postby Wasgood » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:24 am

I think, I got the demo of Darwinia on Steam. I liked it and looked for any other games they made which led me to the defcon trailers.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:26 am

Long ago Google quietly whispered Uplink into my ear. I then bought the game and DevCD and fell in love with how the game was easily modified, Also how good the game was without any mods to start. I then left my computer for awhile and came back to a flourishing company with three top PC games on market. I can't say I wasn't surprised.

Also the community IV has is another great factor of this company that drew me back when I bought a new PC.
Cnl_Death
level2
level2

Postby Cnl_Death » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:25 am

Saw the review of Defcon in PCPP, the promise of a nuclear stratgegy game to too much to bear, had to got the demo loved it thne finally bought the game!
War Is Hell But Peace Is Boring
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Saw the previews PC Gamer had (great marketing from the Introversion guys) and had to buy it. Also saw Darwinia before release at a games trade show where (I believe) Chris showed me how to play it. Now have all three available games, and am eagerly awaiting the release of Multiwinia.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”