Technology as a Topic

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:29 pm

martinmir, could you post links to where you saw those? I'd like to know more about them. :)

vanarbulax wrote:The one thing which I really want done is some kind of universal katamari system which could either analyze 2d images or 3d shapes and turn it into an object which could be rolled up by katamari. I want to just load Multiwinia or Half-life 2 and be able to run around the world rolling up objects. That's my pointless and not-going to happen idea anyway, but if it is achieved I will declare the apex of human civilization.

I've seen a software that can extract 3d models from 2d photos, with some guidance, so that might not be that hard. I remember that they extracted the Sidney Opera House, and on a smaller simpler scale, a van. They did a cgi mixed with real footage from that, then. If I find the link, I'll post it here.
martinmir
level2
level2

Techno

Postby martinmir » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:16 pm

I was surfing the world wide web for new technology and came across it. If you boogle search the key words of the device there is plenty more info on the science behind it. Dont trust wikipedia sources, they are out of date.
Dover
level1
level1

Postby Dover » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:32 am

for those interested in wireless electricity: i did some web research and came up with the following links:

MIT researchers found a way how to wirelessly charge with only weak interaction with the surrounding objects

with this technology, charging a mobile phone wirelessly should be possible in the near future. for those who can't wait, there is already the solution from wildcharge. also, with this article you can have an overview, what's going on on the market right now or in the immediate future.

interesting stuff i would say. especially the witricity solution from MIT sounds very promising. having 40% efficiency from 2 meters for a 60 watt bulb and no dangerous interaction with the human body should be good enough for cell phones or even laptops.

greetings

dover.
martinmir
level2
level2

Cool Gadget

Postby martinmir » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:52 am

Now, Who would like one of these? :arrow: 8)

Before the Hamilton Pulsar (once thought to be the first calculator watch), a gift giving advertisement in the June 1975 issue of Playboy magazine included the Calcron LED Wrist Calculator (pictured left). One of the most collectible, only 50,000 of Hewlett Packard's 1977 HP-100 (pictured center) were made, of which about half were purchased by a Saudi prince. That same year, Sinclair introduced their DIY kit that didn't include a watch function (pictured right) and between 1976-78 Hughes Aircraft Company produced a similarly bulky piece that made appearances on Battlestar Gallactica. Since then, the 80's brought LCDs and every imaginable company produced LCD calculator watches.

Has anyone in our community ever owned one of these watches? Please put your hands up now...
martinmir
level2
level2

one of thes

Postby martinmir » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:23 pm

or one of these?

Combining the brain-teasing appeal of a Rubik's cube with a multi-touch interface, British electronic engineer Andrew Fentem's Fentix Cube might be the ultimate geek toy. The full-color screens are bright enough to see in daylight and the lights can be programmed to simulate any number of multi-dimensional puzzles, including Rubik's classic (watch the video to see it in action), games or ambient lighting themes.

[youtube]V4A_wfaScy4&eurl=http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2008/02/fentix_cube.php[/youtube]
Phelanpt
level5
level5

Postby Phelanpt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:36 pm

Very cool! Was it playing Game of Life before Rubik's Cube?
martinmir
level2
level2

Do you want more?

Postby martinmir » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:59 am

Seiko Epson Corporation ("Epson") has developed the mFR ("Micro Flying Robot"), the world's smallest flying prototype microrobot.

Epson developed the mFR to demonstrate the micromechatronics technology that it has cultivated in-house over the years and to explore the possibilities for microrobots and the development of component technology applications.
NZ ARMY
level2
level2

Postby NZ ARMY » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:18 am

I've been working on a 'Shrink Ray' in my spare time.

Pictured below is my third attempt to shrink the dining table and chairs - I think it worked pretty well.

martinmir
level2
level2

Postby martinmir » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:22 pm

Thats so 'Honey, I shrunk the Kids!'
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:59 am

Funny side effect though, the chairs filling with tomato soup :shock: .
MaximusBrood
level4
level4

Postby MaximusBrood » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:41 am

martinmir wrote:Has anyone seen Star Trek or even Red Dwarf when they use a microwave device to create food out of nothing.

Pfft, "microwave device"... REPLICATOR!
martinmir
level2
level2

Bikes become popular again

Postby martinmir » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:20 am

There's two different camps in cycling. The first seeks out every new, high-tech toy they can attach to their carbon fiber frame, while the other takes the opposite approach, stripping off anything that's not vital to its performance. These fixed-gear purists shun derailleurs, brakes and anything else that obscures the clean geometry of the bicycle frame.

The latter group is the target audience of Alien Bikes. Based out of Tjøme, Norway, Alien is essentially a one-man business operated by Joseph Santaniello. He sells the most pared-down bike components imaginable, not far removed from the rudimentary bike technology of centuries past. The all-steel products favor durability and low cost over advanced materials and newfangled technologies. Don't expect a frame with any attachments for brakes or — God forbid — a water bottle holder. Alien products are almost completely anonymous with no branding or other markings. This creates the sleek, unassuming rides preferred by urban cyclists who don't need any eye-catching embellishments to help get them stolen.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Re: Bikes become popular again

Postby MrBunsy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:10 pm

martinmir wrote:unassuming rides preferred by urban cyclists who don't need any eye-catching embellishments to help get them stolen.

What use is that if you're dead under the wheels of a lorry because you couldn't stop?

A mate of mine just bought an air horn to use on his bike, much more useful.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Re: Bikes become popular again

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

MrBunsy wrote:
martinmir wrote:unassuming rides preferred by urban cyclists who don't need any eye-catching embellishments to help get them stolen.

What use is that if you're dead under the wheels of a lorry because you couldn't stop?

Surely you just use your feet on the road? Or flip one backwards to do the back wheel, and one forwards to slow the front (you could always use your teeth for that one...) :roll:

also, that saddle looks like it'd feel like a knife! :shock:
vanarbulax
level4
level4

Postby vanarbulax » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:58 pm

If your going to but out all the bells and whistles why not ride one of these:
Just for sheer style, plus it has the added benefit that drivers will notice you.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”